CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
spareparts
Acockolypse Now
Spurticus
COCKYTALKIN
BiggerLSUfan
The Yancey
WeStill0wnUSC
Lonnie
USCBASEBALL1
markp_vip
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1026)
Ranking the Opposing (703)
Not a Rival.. (530)
Gamecock Coaches as (506)
help with army insig (393)
NCAA Football 15 (241)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (224)
I'm a grand godfathe (221)
George Miller revisi (170)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (153)
2015 - Mon Denson
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
Section 16
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Marching band
Good Article for those co
Hello Gamecocks!
NCAA Football 15
Muschamp + fan = win
2014-15 Premier League se

Old 12-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
Percy Jackson
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Percy Jackson has feathers coming inPercy Jackson has feathers coming in
Default How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?

Hello from Utah! I'd like to know your gut feelings about the way Coach Elliot has handled the O-line this year. I don't get to see many games, but what I have seen gives me the impression that the offensive line is pretty good, but not great nor dominant, even though they have the size and the talent (at least when they were recruited) to be both. If I'm wrong, tell me. But I noted several technique problems of poor use of the hands or poor foot work or leveraging issues allowing smaller players to get under their pads and get them off balance. Don't get me wrong. They're good. But the recruiting successes we've had recently has lead me to expect better.
Percy Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 200
InletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?

They started out good but kinda lacked near the end. He's a good coach and his recruiting has helped but I'd like to see more consistency.
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Elliott is an AMAZING recruiter and a hell of an OL Coach. He brings in A LOT of highly ranked OL every year.

Last year we were ranked 102nd nationally for Sacks Allowed. This year, 52nd, which is a huge improvement.

Last year we were ranked 100th for Tackles for a Loss Allowed. This year, 29th, another HUGE improvement.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

InletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervous

But like MWard said, it does take a long time
To build depth and talent at those positions! He's brought many great recruits here!
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Who is coach elliot?
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
jfbreb94
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 615
jfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPit

Love the guy. Have never seen such size on our o line
jfbreb94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Honest Opinion:

He did a better job this year than in his previous 3 years, BUT
with the experience, depth and SIZE he had to work with, overall I'd call
it an Underachievement. .. Sorry if I hurt the feelings of the Coach Elliott
supporters, but we have faced much smaller, and much less talented
programs who do a MUCH better job on their O/Line than ours. Our O/Line
has faced "so-so" D/lines this season and struggled to hold their own
against them. We did very good "In Spots" in both the run and pass blocking
but as I said, overall, we underachieved on the line this year. If you gave
our talent, and our size and depth to O/Line coaches like the ones at
UT, or Florida etc... This unit would be much (MUCH) better than what they
put out here. I'm convinced of that. ALSO...If you look at the O/Line of
Auburns, and what their O/line coach has done there vs what we've done
here it puts things in perspective. Last year their O/line was average
AT BEST. This year, they might well be the best O/line in the country
and with a much more complicated scheme of blocking than ours here.

I'll give credit to Coach Elliott for the improvements. It was "OK" for
the most part. HOWEVER, "OK" isn't good for the size and experience we
had going for us this year on our Line. .... Someone stated it above and
was accurate in saying that we also seemed to have gotten worse as
the season went on rather than improve.

If it were a report card, I'd give the O/Line a C- for the season.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

They showed great improvement over last season, especially early on. They did seem to revert back somewhat over the end of the season. Still tons of room for improvement but the unit as a whole has gotten better. SE coaching style should get a B. OL play would also score a B.

Last edited by gamecock88; 12-09-2013 at 08:34 AM.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

They did fine against bigger and slower dlines but struggled against smaller faster units. There are some big guys on the line but they aren't exactly the most mobile group. I think a lot of people equate size to effectiveness on the oline but that isn't always the case. This is one unit that was largely ignored in recruiting for the first few years of Spurrier's tenure here so they are still dealing with lack of quality depth and actual players.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
They showed great improvement over last season, especially early on. They did seem to revert back somewhat over the end of the season. Still tons of room for improvement but the unit as a whole has gotten better. SE coaching style should get a B. OL play would also score a B.

I think a B is too high. This OL has talent but the fundamentals leave something To be desired. Corey Robinson should be further along in his development but he is not there. I would give him a C.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

ra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Honest Opinion:

He did a better job this year than in his previous 3 years, BUT
with the experience, depth and SIZE he had to work with, overall I'd call
it an Underachievement. .. Sorry if I hurt the feelings of the Coach Elliott
supporters, but we have faced much smaller, and much less talented
programs who do a MUCH better job on their O/Line than ours. Our O/Line
has faced "so-so" D/lines this season and struggled to hold their own
against them. We did very good "In Spots" in both the run and pass blocking
but as I said, overall, we underachieved on the line this year. If you gave
our talent, and our size and depth to O/Line coaches like the ones at
UT, or Florida etc... This unit would be much (MUCH) better than what they
put out here. I'm convinced of that. ALSO...If you look at the O/Line of
Auburns, and what their O/line coach has done there vs what we've done
here it puts things in perspective. Last year their O/line was average
AT BEST. This year, they might well be the best O/line in the country
and with a much more complicated scheme of blocking than ours here.

I'll give credit to Coach Elliott for the improvements. It was "OK" for
the most part. HOWEVER, "OK" isn't good for the size and experience we
had going for us this year on our Line. .... Someone stated it above and
was accurate in saying that we also seemed to have gotten worse as
the season went on rather than improve.

If it were a report card, I'd give the O/Line a C- for the season.
I will agree that I expected more from our OL this year. However, to say that Aubie's blocking schemes are more complicated is dead wrong. They run the zone plays just like we do, they run the power O play just like we do. They dress it up with a jet sweep and a fake here and a fake there, and they may read a different person, depending on the play, but it's still a zone step and get on your track and block the man in the way. It's the same scheme. The difference is teaching the landmarks, the progression, the steps, etc.

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I agree with spurticus. I was going to say a B, but that would be a bit of a curve because if we didn't have 28 and a very mobile QB I'm sure they would have looked a letter grade or more worse.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

C is too low..b-...
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Also, gotta' note we had a couple of pretty key injuries in the interior of the OL and never really seemed to recover 100% from that.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Decent. Grade C+.

There were times when they took over games like at UCF when we ran the ball at will almost. Then there were times they couldn't block anyone like Tenn and struggling to run at all against Clemson and Florida.

So basically inconsistent. Not dominant enough to get us to the SEC championship or BCS
Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #16
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 600
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly

I was expecting more of an improvement this year. But, overall I think the o-line did improve over last season. Looking at the clemsux game, they were run blitzing to stop Davis. By bring linebackers on blitzes to the A gaps it creates a situation where you have 5 linemen to block 6 opponents. Once SOS saw what clemsux was doing he called plays to allow Connor to run outside the tackles and be successful. It appeared that clemsux front four was dominating us, but it was scheme not players that didn't allow Davis to run inside. JMHO
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
I was expecting more of an improvement this year. But, overall I think the o-line did improve over last season. Looking at the clemsux game, they were run blitzing to stop Davis. By bring linebackers on blitzes to the A gaps it creates a situation where you have 5 linemen to block 6 opponents. Once SOS saw what clemsux was doing he called plays to allow Connor to run outside the tackles and be successful. It appeared that clemsux front four was dominating us, but it was scheme not players that didn't allow Davis to run inside. JMHO
They stunted inside on every play and stuffed our RB's. That is why the QB run was so successful for us in the 2nd half, the QB can read the stunt and simply run away from it.
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

OL played very well at times & very poorly at times. Sometimes during different facets of the same game. Overall decent improvement but next year's line should be much better on paper & hopefully more consistent. Elliott has done a good job here & is a top recruiter so he is more than safe. Even if the proposition is that his unit is somewhat underachieving (I don't take that stance at this point) there is simply no way, given the unproven ability of other members of this staff to bring in talent, that you even consider making a change. USC's OL will never be stellar in pass protection because of the nature of the patterns the WR's run. A mobile QB is a huge plus & I expect the sack total to increase next year even though the OL should be better.
conwaycock2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Just curious what leads people to believe guys aren't living up to potential or there is a lot of talent in the group? I know there are some big guys and names in the unit but why do you think the talent is there. In watching HS film on a few people that get mentioned a lot they were successful because they were simply bigger and stronger than the guys they were playing against. In the SEC that doesn't work and you can't always fix years of bad technique in a couple months or even a 5 year college career.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I think that he has done well. I was disappointed with our OL play against clem this year though. Overall I give him a solid B.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote