CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
roosterdude21
Cockypantherfan
Lalli25
sporkgod50
i29gman
Spur's Addiction
Gyle41386
qcgamecock
F4rpoole
Thenardier
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1839)
The #AskEmmert Q& (596)
Stadium Ratings-Site (465)
Peach Bowl name retu (295)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (293)
Construction of Worl (293)
Save Electricity By (247)
HELP calculating acr (214)
NBA Wants to Up Age (162)
How Experienced In P (146)
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Jameis Winston's Accuser
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
2015 - Tommy Hatton
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
2015 - Davon Durant
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is

Old 12-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material
Default Rumor that the 4 Team Playoff will still NOT ..

allow more than two Teams from any one Conference. If the SEC stands for that they are foolish. This is why the formed a committee so they can keep more than two SEC Teams from getting in. This is no more than Political garbage if true but if you think about it that's all the committee can be created for. I mean it's obvious that 1 should play 4 and 2 plays 3 but evidently that is at the discretion of this " new " committee.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Re: Rumor that the 4 Team Playoff will still NOT ..

This committee is going to be a nightmare. It will never remotely be fair until they make it at least a eight team play-off, should be sixteen realistically.

We have to turn the corner and win the SECCG. We do that and we'll be in the drivers seat.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
B-G
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Bowls still have their tie ins.

Nothing really is going to change.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
roosterdude21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 0
roosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPit

Although it was an act of congress just to get a playoff system in place, they need to go ahead and move it to an 8 team playoff system. I haven't heard one advocate of the 4 team system. The coaches already don't like it and everyone sees the obvious issues. That's bad bc it's not even here yet, however we'll be talking about this for a long time especially this time next year.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Bowls still have their tie ins.

Nothing really is going to change.
Two more teams are going to get a chance to win it all.

It's a step in the right direction.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Two more teams are going to get a chance to win it all.

It's a step in the right direction.
Oh yea I know that. I was just talking about the bowl selection procedure.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

If they don't take the 4 top power rated Teams for the 4 team playoff is just another sham imo.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Eventually this will go to an 8 team playoff. I would bet the farm on it.
I do think they'll try it with 6 after a few years of the current (expected)
format, with two teams getting first round byes. A four team playoff is
better than the crap they have now, but it still omits some very deserving
teams from getting a chance at a title that should at least be allowed
to compete for it. IMO, 16 is too many. At Max, maybe 12 teams with
four first round byes to the top seeds. It'll expand though. As soon as they
see the amount of money they can get off of this system, they'll expand it.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
This committee is going to be a nightmare. It will never remotely be fair until they make it at least a eight team play-off, should be sixteen realistically.

We have to turn the corner and win the SECCG. We do that and we'll be in the drivers seat.

NO, the playoff does NOT need to be 16 teams. If you lose 2-3 games and don't win your conference, you have no business playing for the National Title. It needs to be 8 teams, and it's open to the best 8 teams in the nation no matter what conference they're in.

We have 2 losses and 1 was to a team that we had no business even letting it be close against. Everyone can kick and scream all they want, but we blew our own chances.

Take the garnet colored glasses off ... if Clemson lost 2 games, one was to a team that won't even go to a bowl, would you want them having a chance to be National Champs? I doubt it.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
NO, the playoff does NOT need to be 16 teams. If you lose 2-3 games and don't win your conference, you have no business playing for the National Title. It needs to be 8 teams, and it's open to the best 8 teams in the nation no matter what conference they're in.

We have 2 losses and 1 was to a team that we had no business even letting it be close against. Everyone can kick and scream all they want, but we blew our own chances.

Take the garnet colored glasses off ... if Clemson lost 2 games, one was to a team that won't even go to a bowl, would you want them having a chance to be National Champs? I doubt it.
It has absolutely nothing to do with garnet colored glasses, but I thank you for the compliment.

Why should it be any different from the FCS play-offs. I don't hear them complaining about it. As a matter of fact, it's what makes them relevant in the college football world.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit

This committee is going to be no friend of the SEC. They've already discussed the fact that the committee is likely to give an inordinate amount of weight to conference champions. I'm sorry but an ACC Championship and an SEC Championship are not equal. An 11-1 ACC Champion should not be given the nod over an 11-1 SEC team that did not win its conference championship.

I guarantee this committee will be a politically correct, spread-the-wealth, level-the-playing field nightmare. The politically correct nature of assembling the committee was a telling sign in my opinion. I'm sorry but what is Condaleeza Rice's qualification for being on this committee? The fact that she is a self-titled "football fan?" The nation is full of football fans. I am a big Condaleeza Rice fan and would love for her to be on any committee that has to do with running this country, but in my opinion she and a few others on this committee are on there solely for the public relations factor.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
It has absolutely nothing to do with garnet colored glasses, but I thank you for the compliment.

Why should it be any different from the FCS play-offs. I don't hear them complaining about it. As a matter of fact, it's what makes them relevant in the college football world.

None of that was really direct at you. You were just the first to say 16 teams.

The more teams you have in the playoffs ... the less each week matters.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 46943
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

I also heard that Notre Dame is guaranteed a berth every year if they crack the top 25, and if Texas gets in then the broadcast rights for the playoff games automatically go to the LHN. Contact your television service provider for plan package rates today.....
Old 12-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 98700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:

Not a lot of people really care about the FCS. It's just good to have football on the Saturday's during the dead period waiting on bowls.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Trust me, you don't want a 16 team playoff.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:

Totally agree. 8 teams is the max and 2 or more losses should make you fall out of the system. Something does have to happen to insure that the 8 best teams play in this playoff, regardless of what conference that they play in. Some of these weaker conference champions that go undefeated in regular season play could not play against an 1 or 2 loss SEC Team. So, that being said, I think that it will never be right for everyone, especially SEC Schools since there is so many people against us in the country due to our constant winning seasons that most upper tier teams have in the SEC.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Trust me, you don't want a 16 team playoff.
TOTALLY AGREE

If you go back and look at every year of the BCS (and even further back
if you'd like), you're usually going to see about 6-8 teams that honetly
deserve a shot at a National title. This year for instance would be one
of those years where you could argue only about 4 are Bona Fide
NC contenders based on the regular season schedules. YES, there's always
going to be a couple or three teams outside ANY post season selection
that will argue they should be in it for whatever reason...The next few
years, anyone outside the top 4-6 team in the country will cry about
not getting selected, if you expand it to 6 or 8, the four or five outside
that will cry about not having a shot etc......
Realistically though, about 6-8 teams a year are worthy of a shot regardless
of where they've been ranked in the polls. I think an 8 team playoff
would be as many as you need to decide a true National Champion every
year.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
palmettosc
Recruit

Male

palmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
I'm sorry but what is Condaleeza Rice's qualification for being on this committee?
Daughter of a coach. Provost at Stanford. Little thing called Secretary of State. She's one of my favorite people on the committee. It's almost like she would be able to look at things from a critical angle with no real bias.
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #19
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:

If a 2 loss team can go and beat out the other top 15 teams in the nation than they earned the #1 ranking more than a team who plays zero competition and goes undefeated, like we reward now.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #20
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

I think 12 teams but could do 16 this way. You giving 6 auto bids to BCS leagues, 2 auto bids to highest BCS ranked non BCS teams than remaining 4 (12 teams) - 8 (16 teams) slots to whoever are the next 4 highest BCS ranked teams no mater conference affiliation.

Keep the small bowls for other teams. Use BCS bowls cotton and another big bowl for the round of 8 and on. Have a moving site like NFL does fit champ game big just reusing bowl sites. Do first round at home site of higher ranked team. This would also keep the integrity of week to week momentum and game planning. Bowl games are so weird when teams lose their flow over 50 day break and way too much time to game plan.