CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ReadR00ster
eaglegolf018
ccured
roosterdude21
Cockypantherfan
Thenardier
ucan'tlickourcocks
ColaCock
The Yancey
donbgamecock
Stadium Ratings-Site (792)
NBA Wants to Up Age (433)
Construction of Worl (393)
Peach Bowl name retu (377)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (349)
Save Electricity By (342)
HELP calculating acr (288)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (273)
How Experienced In P (238)
40 Ways You Know You (171)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
What is your perfect egg?
Jameis Winston's Accuser
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Name a Gamecock
Stadium Ratings-Site rate

Old 12-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit
Default Double Standard: Stanford and South Carolina

Stanford
Lost to a 5-7 Utah team on the road
Lost to a 9-4 Southern Cal team on the road (currently ranked #25)
Beat current #10 Oregon
Beat current #14 Arizona St twice
Beat current #17 UCLA
Beat a few other solid but unranked teams (Notre Dame and Washington)

South Carolina
Lost to a 5-7 Tennessee team on the road
Lost to an 8-4 UGA team on the road (currently ranked #22)
Beat current #8 Missouri on the road
Beat current #12 Clemson
Beat current #15 Central Florida on the road
Beat a solid but unranked Vanderbilt team

The losses are about even. The big wins are about even, although I'll give the nod to Stanford for beating ASU a second time. As far as other solid teams, Stanford had 1 more solid team on the schedule than Carolina did. Both had a few 6-6 teams on the schedule. I think the resumes are fairly similar, and I'd give Stanford a bit of a nod. However, the treatment in the BCS and the public perception is night and day different. Stanford is 5th in the BCS, we are 9th. I've seen talk saying if there were a 4-team playoff Stanford should get in it. Meanwhile I constantly hear about how South Carolina lost to Tennessee and has no right to complain about BCS, bowl situation, etc. Ummm, isn't Stanford's loss to Utah right there with Carolina's loss to Tennessee? Hell, I guarantee you Tennessee (as terrible as they are) has more talent than Utah. Yet, somehow Stanford gets a pass for losing to Utah and we get treated like we lost to Hammond High School. And yes, I consider the loss to Tennessee an all-timer of a failure that will haunt this program for years to come. But I'd like to see Stanford get the same treatment for the Utah loss.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
scman
Walk On

Male

scman is learning to peck
Default Re: Double Standard: Stanford and South Carolina

Stanford won the Pac 12. We did not win the SEC.
scman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 97950
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scman View Post
do not bring logic into a thread
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
GamecockinILL
Blue Chip

Male

GamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his comb

Quote:
I hate these kinds of responses....as if no one on this board is aware of that fact. Almost anytime someone makes a thread of this nature, there are others who have these kinds of responses that make discussion seem like a fool's errand.

As for this thread, the poster didn't contend that they didn't win a conference. The contention is that our records are virtually indistinguishable....PERIOD. So, why can't voters, pollsters, etc., with access to all of the pertinent information, make comparable assessments? It's because of bias! Not because of a conference championship. SC, while gaining interest, is still the ugly stepsister when other potential Cinderellas are out there.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit

Quote:
I'm sorry but I don't buy this argument. Yes Stanford has a nice trophy they can put in the trophy case. I'd love to have that. But we don't play in the same conference. Stanford and Carolina had the same regular season records. Should Stanford be given 1000X more credit because the chips fell in their favor and allowed them to go to the conference championship game, and because the chips didn't fall in our favor? You're basically saying Stanford is better than Carolina because 1) Oregon lost to Arizona and 2) Missouri didn't lose to Ole Miss and A&M. Because those two factors are the reasons why Stanford went to their conference championship game and Carolina didn't.

-- George Burns
Old 12-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

The winner of the Pac-12 gets an automatic Rose invite unless they go to the mnc. They won theirs; we did not.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
End threat now.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
The winner of the Pac-12 gets an automatic Rose invite unless they go to the mnc. They won theirs; we did not.
This has nothing to do with making a BCS bowl, it has to do with the public perception of the team and the BCS ranking.

-- George Burns
Old 12-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
End threat now.
Is 11-1 Big 12 champ Baylor better than 11-1 no champ Alabama?

-- George Burns
Old 12-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

What's the point of this thread?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Legalman72
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 19477065
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

OP, you made great points. Ignore the peanut gallery.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
CockyMBA
Recruit

Male

CockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his claws

Strength of Schedule and Champion.

I believe Stanford's SOS was #4 TOUGHEST. Ours was #30. (According to Sagarin). Also, they won their conference albeit an easier conference, but they get to put "Conference Champion" next to their name. They were the best the Pac-12 had to offer.

In the SEC, we were the 3rd (or 4th) best...depending on whom you ask.

Blame the BCS.
CockyMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
What's the point of this thread?
Possibly to discuss college football on a college football message board.

-- George Burns
Old 12-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
Possibly to discuss college football on a college football message board.
Disagree. To me, this sounds like a bitch fest against perceived "wrongs" done to the University of South Carolina football team. This is some "Old Carolina" mentality seeping back in.

The "man" isn't keeping us down. There was no harm done to our team.

We are going to the very best bowl we possibly could go to without winning our league.

The only poll that matters is the last one, and we are a month away from that being released.

You've heard one maybe two pundits express love for Stanford, and you are blowing it out of proportion.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyMBA View Post
Strength of Schedule and Champion.

I believe Stanford's SOS was #4 TOUGHEST. Ours was #30. (According to Sagarin). Also, they won their conference albeit an easier conference, but they get to put "Conference Champion" next to their name. They were the best the Pac-12 had to offer.

In the SEC, we were the 3rd (or 4th) best...depending on whom you ask.

Blame the BCS.
Sagarin's rankings are a bit dodgy in my opinion. Looking at the rankings there is obviously something in the formula that heavily favors the Pac 12. He's got some absurd results: Auburn at #7, 8-4 Washington at #12, 7-5 Arizona at #22, North Dakota State at #23, Eastern Illinois at #26, 6-6 Washington St at #31, 5-7 Utah at #32... And yes, I realize those FBS teams are very good FBS teams, but seriously...

-- George Burns
Old 12-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
scman
Walk On

Male

scman is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockinILL View Post
I hate these kinds of responses....as if no one on this board is aware of that fact. Almost anytime someone makes a thread of this nature, there are others who have these kinds of responses that make discussion seem like a fool's errand.

As for this thread, the poster didn't contend that they didn't win a conference. The contention is that our records are virtually indistinguishable....PERIOD. So, why can't voters, pollsters, etc., with access to all of the pertinent information, make comparable assessments? It's because of bias! Not because of a conference championship. SC, while gaining interest, is still the ugly stepsister when other potential Cinderellas are out there.
There is 1 thing that makes Stanford's record distinguishable from ours this year. That thing is a Pac 12 championship.
All conferences are not equal and never will be.
Even if there was a playoff system in place right now, Stanford would get the nod over us head to head because of that Pac 12 championship. Fair or not, that is the way that it is.
scman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Disagree. To me, this sounds like a bitch fest against perceived "wrongs" done to the University of South Carolina football team. This is some "Old Carolina" mentality seeping back in.

We are going to the very best bowl we possibly could go to without winning our league.

The only poll that matters is the last one, and we are a month away from that being released.

You've heard one maybe two pundits express love for Stanford, and you are blowing it out of proportion.
I'm discussing the perception of South Carolina's season, and a viewpoint that I've witnessed a lot more than 2 people on TV express. But from now on I'll run any posts by you to make sure they're appropriate for this site. God knows we don't need irrelevant posts clogging up the internet, can't have people discussing irrelevant college football issues on a college football message board. This college football discussion board is simply too important for posts you don't deem relevant or important enough.

-- George Burns
Old 12-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
fbvolpb89
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
fbvolpb89 has feathers coming infbvolpb89 has feathers coming infbvolpb89 has feathers coming in

So are you complaining that Stanford is ranked higher than us or that they are going to a BCS bowl? If you are upset about the BCS bowl, that doesn't really have anything to do with their schedule or ranked opponents. Rose bowl always has the winner of the PAC-12 (unless in mnc). Stanford could have gone 7-6 and still be in it if they won their conference.

If you're complaining about rankings, I think beating ASU again is the only thing that justifies putting them over us.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #19
palmettosc
Recruit

Male

palmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudly

Quote:

Well nothing left to see here. Move along.
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #20
USCfootball
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 106666
USCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post

Exactly. Stanford won their conference who has a member (Oregon) that came to Tennessee and b!tch slapped the Volunteers all over the field.....something we did not do. Congrats to Stanford.
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote