CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
Regalcock
JerseyBird
smoovecock
b381l
johnnyb
markymark550
RGHoskins
Constant Updates on (2393)
Brad Lawing (1783)
Alshon - Bose (1215)
Garcia vs Clemson To (1133)
How cool would it be (1010)
Carolina/Clemson gam (812)
Palmetto Bowl (727)
Chattanooga upends N (606)
NEW Pics from South (309)
Where to watch in Ar (223)
Constant Updates on Watso
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Carolina/Clemson game dre
How cool would it be to..
Chattanooga upends No. 4
Bowl projections
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Palmetto Bowl
Andrew Clifford Scooter A

Old 12-10-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
zbadger
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
zbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervous
Default Getting to Know Wisconsin

Badgers fan here, I joined this forum so I could get to know South Carolina as I know very little about your team besides Spurrier and Clowney. From the topics I've glanced at, you guys seem to know a similar amount the Badgers so I will try to give you the 411 about the team in as impartial manner as possible.

Offense: Pro-Style, QB mostly under center except for obvious passing down, I formation and Multiple TE sets are common occurrence. Lots of power run plays and use of play action.
Defense: 3-4 with a ton of variation. Expect to see lots of pre-snap movement and many different fronts. In 3rd and long Wisconsin often only uses 1 down lineman. We don't blitz a ton, but we mix and match which 4 guys are rushing the QB.

Strengths:
Running game and RB depth(duh)
Run blocking (also duh, but not just oline, the run blocking at Wisconsin is a total team effort)
Veteran front 7 on defense (2 deep of mostly juniors and seniors)
Big play ability (I believe Wisconsin is 2nd in the nation in plays of over 50 yards behind Baylor)

Weaknesses
WR depth (we have 1 WR)
Oline depth (this is the first year in awhile where we don't go 2 deep at oline)
Inconsistent QB play
Young Secondary (opposite of front 7, only 1 guy started before this year)
Special teams is nothing special (our return game is not a threat to score a TD and our kicking game is merely competent)

Players to know:
QB Joel Stave #2 - Good arm, but consistently inconsistent as he'll miss wide open guys and make at least one really stupid throw per game
WR Jared Abbrederis #4 - he is our #1, #2, and #3 WR, Everyone knows that Stave is looking for him and yet he still finds a way to get open. Superb route runner.
RB James White #20 - I looked up highlights of USC and realized that you have your own version in Mike Davis (arguably better version). Like Davis he has great hands and is relied upon in passing game.
RB Melvin Gordon #25 - White may be the starting RB, but Gordon is the superstar talent. Gordon does not have the hands of White or the Pass blocking ability, but he makes up for it with home run running ability. His speed is good, but his acceleration is insane as he gets to top gear immediately.
TE Jacob Pedersen #48 - The #2 receiving threat on the team, he is Stave's 2nd option when he can't get the ball to Abby. Good redzone threat.
FB Derek Watt #34 - The name sounds familiar because he is JJ's younger brother. IMO he one of most important pieces to the Badgers running game and he often creates the first hole by mauling his man, be it a lineman or lbacker. LB's don't fair well vs him at all.

LB Chris Borland #44 - Big Ten Defensive Player of Year is the heart and soul of Badgers defense. Opponents often remark there must be three 44's on defense because there is no way that one guy could always be around the ball. Expect to hear his name a lot as the guy making the tackle.
CB Sojorn Shelton #8 - the undersized, true freshman is the Badgers only real play maker in the secondary. He battles like a veteran, but makes freshman mistakes on occasion in form of penalties. Bigger receivers can take advantage of his small size
S Tanner McEvoy #17 - I know you guys already know his name. He failed to win the starting job as QB (apparently his accuracy is really bad) so he was moved to WR but then broke his wrist. His athleticism was too valuable for the coaching staff to leave on the bench so they put him at S. He usually plays CF type role of covering the deepest guy. He is still learning the position, but his range is rather impressive. Needs to be better at playing the ball if he stays at safety in future.

How to beat the Badgers:
Everyone knows the best way to beat Wisconsin is stop the run and make Stave beat you. Stopping the run is easier said than done, but getting out to a quick lead is key as Badgers are not good at playing catch up. I expect USC to stack the box and try to put pressure on Stave which actually isn't extremely difficult as Wisconsin is only decent at pass blocking. Of course, if the RB can make it to the 2nd level against stacked box, then there is plenty of room for big plays so the key is gap discipline. On offense, attack the secondary deep. They are young and inexperience so mistakes are very possible. If you guys can protect the QB then you will be in good shape. Wisconsin lacks a true pass rusher, but gets pressure based on scheme as they play a 3-4 unlike most college teams. Give your QB time, and the secondary is yours for the taking.

Bonus note:
The Badgers big play formation is when they are set up for the Jet Sweep. Melvin Gordon (#25) lines up at WR and James White (#20) lines up at RB. Melvin Gordon runs a sweep and either takes the hand off or acts as misdirection giving White a chance of the middle with fewer defenders or Stave a chance for play action as defenses bite hard on run. Another wrinkle is Abbrederis running from the opposite side as Gordon and he actually takes the sweep the other way. Its a misdirection formation that has wreaked havoc on teams this year because of the talent of the players running it. Good news is that you guys get plenty of time to prepare for it so the it will be interesting to see how Badgers adjust.

I hope this helps clear things up about the Badgers, I'm excited to watch them against a good SEC opponent to see how well they match up.

Last edited by zbadger; 12-10-2013 at 03:52 AM.
zbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Getting to Know Wisconsin

Very much appreciated
Old 12-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Yeah yeah. Let's move on to the important stuff.

I'll trade you some boiled peanuts for some cheese curds.
cocky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:22 AM   #4
zbadger
Walk On

Male

zbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervous

Fried Cheese Curds? Because I assure you that no amount of peanuts are worth giving up fried cheese curds.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Well this thread just went straight into the crapper.
cocky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #6
zbadger
Walk On

Male

All my hard work for nothing, last time I drink and go on opponents' forums at same time.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbadger View Post
All my hard work for nothing, last time I drink and go on opponents' forums at same time.
Don't judge this board (or our fanbase) from the remarks of one misguided
member.

Welcome to Cockytalk, and thanx for the OP.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
davisd9
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 375
davisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudly

Thanks for the information and I wish y'all the best in staying healthy. I think that you guys will be a little surprised by the speed of our defense. We are big up front and fast all over the field. We have a young LB corp but they have greatly improved throughout the year, Skai Moore will be a beast with added weight and experience. If your Oline is not good then it may be a long day for your QB. Our Dline is our overall strength, even though they have not have not been quite what we thought overall. Quarles and Clowney will be the biggest two threats. We rotate our lineman pretty regularly. One name you may not be familiar with is Gerald Dixon, there are two on our team but I am speaking of the DE. He has really impressed me. He is not as fast as Clowney or others but he seems to have great leverage and puts himself around the ball, especially in run defense. Both of our corners are good and threat to make interceptions.

Our offense is a zone read and we have the best QB there is to run it. Shaw is tough, fast, and willed to win. Our RB Mike Davis is ok with running you over or running around you, he is a home run threat and will push the pile. We also have Brandon Wilds at RB. He is the bigger of the two and powerful, but do not underestimate his speed. We do not have that big receiver that just goes over the top, but Shaq Roland is starting to fill that role and had a great game against Clemson. Our other receivers are fast and shifty. Bruce Ellington is our best one. Our Oline is big and averages around 315 or so. Our TEs are athletic and tall.
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1021420
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbadger View Post

Weaknesses
WR depth (we have 1 WR)
Oline depth (this is the first year in awhile where we don't go 2 deep at oline)
Inconsistent QB play
Young Secondary (opposite of front 7, only 1 guy started before this year)
Special teams is nothing special (our return game is not a threat to score a TD and our kicking game is merely competent)

How to beat the Badgers:
Everyone knows the best way to beat Wisconsin is stop the run and make Stave beat you. Stopping the run is easier said than done, but getting out to a quick lead is key as Badgers are not good at playing catch up. I expect USC to stack the box and try to put pressure on Stave which actually isn't extremely difficult as Wisconsin is only decent at pass blocking.

So you're telling me there is a chance?? Lol. Welcome to the board man.

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 224722
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Do you guys do that "Jump" thing at bowl games?

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Sounds like if our offense isn't clicking early we are in trouble.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 26222586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Check out Borland's recruiting page. Was Wisconsin truly his only offer? He was a 3-star so that makes me wonder if he committed early or just wanted to go there.

Anyway, another in a long line of 3-stars who studded out: http://rivals.yahoo.com/wisconsin/fo...-Borland-83249
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Check out Borland's recruiting page. Was Wisconsin truly his only offer? He was a 3-star so that makes me wonder if he committed early or just wanted to go there.

Anyway, another in a long line of 3-stars who studded out: http://rivals.yahoo.com/wisconsin/fo...-Borland-83249
Wisconsin is famous for taking 2&3 star players (especially at O-Line), and making them into great players.. they probably do that as well as anyone in the country.

Im thinking we will put Hampton on their stud WR (#4-- Cant spell his name to save my life).. and put 8 in the box to start...
Old 12-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 26222586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
Wisconsin is famous for taking 2&3 star players (especially at O-Line), and making them into great players.. they probably do that as well as anyone in the country.

Im thinking we will put Hampton on their stud WR (#4-- Cant spell his name to save my life).. and put 8 in the box to start...
Good points. Found more on Borland...most had him unranked and then dropped 2-stars on him after he committed to Wisconsin. Man...what a great story!
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Thanks for the info! No way we will be taking you guys lightly. Our guys should be ready, but I'm expecting this one to be a nail-biter.

Quote:
Who wants to bet they return a punt for a TD?
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
lakemurraycock
Blue Chip

CockyCash: 357
lakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudly

Thanks for the Info! Should be a great game.
lakemurraycock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
highpockets12
Recruit

Male

highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

If yall rush the passer ,good luck, once you get thru the line ,turn about He`ll be 17 yds down field.
highpockets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
Wisco15
Walk On

Male

Wisco15 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
Do you guys do that "Jump" thing at bowl games?
I went to the Rose Bowl against Oregon and they actually played it over the loud speakers. Usually at the bowl game the students do their own silent jump around as the song usually isn't played. But if it is, it turns into mayhem rather quickly.
Wisco15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
Bigdsrip
Walk On

Male

Bigdsrip has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Good points. Found more on Borland...most had him unranked and then dropped 2-stars on him after he committed to Wisconsin. Man...what a great story!
Yeah Borland grew up a Wisconsin fan and committed on the spot when we offered him at camp. He played mostly RB in high school and for a time it looked like his best shot to get a ride was as a punter. Before he got hurt this year he was going to be our FG kicker on any kicks from 45 on out. Kid is a ridiculous athlete with the added bonus of having a great head on his shoulders. I expect him to play for a long time in the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DZleTrSwyE
Bigdsrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Thanks for the info! No way we will be taking you guys lightly. Our guys should be ready, but I'm expecting this one to be a nail-biter.

Who wants to bet they return a punt for a TD?
I was thinking the same thing haha
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote