CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Master Bedroom
Gamecocks1137
garnet_black215
CockyRyan
Regalcock
GamecockSuperFan
WeStillOwnUSC
StormOfTalons
MWard
Clemson Recruiting.. (3320)
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1555)
Ranking the Opposing (1411)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (1140)
Not a Rival.. (1065)
Gamecock Coaches as (946)
NCAA Football 15 (572)
Hello Gamecocks! (523)
Marching band (450)
John Rocker at rock (353)
2015 - Mon Denson
2015 - Traveon Samuel
Clemson Recruiting...how
2015 Commitment - Damon A
John Rocker at rock botto
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
Good Article on Auburn's
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
Website Design Help
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit

Old 12-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material
Default how is coach botkin as a recruiter?

I know he recruits bama, tx etc and that isnt the traditional area we pull recruits from but it seems we could get an equally talented coach who can recruit that area better.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Re: how is coach botkin as a recruiter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
I know he recruits bama, tx etc and that isnt the traditional area we pull recruits from but it seems we could get an equally talented coach who can recruit that area better.
Botkins group seemed to progress really good as the year went on. It wasn't his fault they were so young.

Last edited by Travelin; 12-11-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Legalman72
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 19718410
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think he recruited Walton, who I feel will play out as a very good pickup. Not sure who else he's brought.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Yeah, I won't pretend to know the op's reason for the thread, so I'll just address what I think one of the points is.

The LB corps was was devastated by graduates last year, so this year saw a completely new lineup of starters and backups. They were/are all inexperienced and undersized (as far as weight). The group struggled with just about everything in the beginning of the season. As the season progressed, the group became more comfortable with their assignments and started making some plays, and at times were actually a strength for the team. They still mess up occasionally, but we can't expect any group to be perfect all the time. I actually think Botkin has shown his value as a coach this season. Come next season, I expect the LBs to be a significant strength of the team, especially if they all pack on some pounds. Which do you think is easier to do, coach five or six guys who have are all seniors and have had significant playing time in the defensive scheme, or coach a group of guys who have never/rarely seen the field and are new to the scheme (and in many cases) new to the college game?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

We are not firing any coaches. Get over it.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Whomever identified and recruited Skai Moore is alright in my book. The dearth in the linebacking corps can't be pinned on him. For some reason we were striking out left and right under EJ at that position meanwhile he was helping get clowney.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
Yeah, I won't pretend to know the op's reason for the thread, so I'll just address what I think one of the points is.

The LB corps was was devastated by graduates last year, so this year saw a completely new lineup of starters and backups. They were/are all inexperienced and undersized (as far as weight). The group struggled with just about everything in the beginning of the season. As the season progressed, the group became more comfortable with their assignments and started making some plays, and at times were actually a strength for the team. They still mess up occasionally, but we can't expect any group to be perfect all the time. I actually think Botkin has shown his value as a coach this season. Come next season, I expect the LBs to be a significant strength of the team, especially if they all pack on some pounds. Which do you think is easier to do, coach five or six guys who have are all seniors and have had significant playing time in the defensive scheme, or coach a group of guys who have never/rarely seen the field and are new to the scheme (and in many cases) new to the college game?
i was quite clear with my question. I asked how was botkin as a recruiter. I never said he couldnt coach. his coaching is fine.

Last edited by sc455; 12-11-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Whomever identified and recruited Skai Moore is alright in my book. The dearth in the linebacking corps can't be pinned on him. For some reason we were striking out left and right under EJ at that position meanwhile he was helping get clowney.
Thank you..that is what i was after. He pulled walton and moore..got it.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
i was quite clear with my question. I asked how was botkin as a recruiter. I never said he couldnt coach. his coaching is fine.
As long as Botkin is coaching up the talent we are pulling in from Georgia and Florida (BAW and Pittman, respectively) I don't see the issue. As has been mentioned, he also brought in Jonathan Walton who I think will have a good career as a Gamecock.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Thank you..that is what i was after. He pulled walton and moore..got it.

Also, its a little early still to totally assess him as a recruiter, at least in my novice's view. Seems like only the really great ones can start getting lots of top flight kids after 2 or so years. Seems like it takes 3-4 years to build the "pipeline". He came from texas high school so it might take him a bit to build the regional network. I think he's an upgrade from EJ on a one to one level but EJ's statewide and regional contacts were essential to building the program imop. I like that we've got some guys like sands and elliott who are SC guys. Also spurrier and some of the other guys have been around long enough now to know just about everyone in the Carolinas. I personally feel pretty good about him now given the scramble to get LBs last class and how good those froshies were and how the whole corps developed. He's probably not 100% responsible but he would be getting most of the blame if it went the other way. Deke is the only guy on the defensive staff that I'm not 100% good with at this point, but he's got another year or two to show what he can do.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I don't think he recruited Skai did he? He's from Florida. Who's area is that?

So no one has answered the OPs question. Who has he recruited? Just Walton?
Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Well a kid doesn't come to play at a school if his position coach doesn't at least help recruit him. They may not the be the one who finds him and establishes initial contact, but they aren't coming to play for him if he doesn't do a solid job with the recruiting. I'm pretty sure I remember Bryant mentioning him during his recruitment as well and he was probably the best recruiting "get" in the last class on defense.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

If you can find a linebacker coach that can improve a group of freshman and sophomores to the unbelievable extent that Botkin did this year, maybe we should try and get him.

But you won't. Botkin's a hell of a coach and a great recruiter. OP needs to stop thinking like it's week 2 after Georgia. We've all since realized that most of his players were playing in their second ever college game against an incredibly talented QB, RB, and (then healthy except for Mitchell) WR corp.

Follow Gamecockology on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
MisterClowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
scman
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
scman is learning to peck

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecr...?view=moredata

This shows the recruiter of record from last year's class. I'm not sure it's always right, but probably close enough.
They just list Botkin on Walton. Grady Brown was on Moore, but I'm sure Botkin was part of the process.
scman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Ahmad
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 356
Ahmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudly

Quote:
Deke is the only guy on the defensive staff that I'm not 100% good with at this point, but he's got another year or two to show what he can do.
I think Coach Adams is doing a pretty good job. He improved Quarles and JT Surratt's game. Only player that could say had a disappointing season was Chaz. Adams is also one of our busiest recruiters.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #17
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

I don't know about Botkin's ability to recruit specifically, but I do know character when I read about it. He stepped down from college level coaching to the high school level because someone in his family needed him at home. That tells me that he has his priorities in the right place, and that he understands life is about relationships not about football. A man like that is going to naturally be an awesome recruiter. I don't think you have a thing to worry about.

PS: it also says a lot about Whammy because he recognized character and went after it when he knew he was going to catch flack from the online "realists".

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
EJ rarely blitzed. Anyone who watched films of our defense would think "I want to go to a school that takes chances and has an aggressive, in-your-face defense. South Carolina plays it conservative. No thanks, I'll pass."

Our linebacking has a long way to go.

Yes, they made significant progress, but we are not good at all at stuffing the run, and it's NOT because our guys are "small".

It doesn't matter how big you are if you AREN'T EVEN THERE!

Our guys need to understand that it is their job to clog the running lanes and not just the job of the tackles. I think they were scared to death of being caught with their pants down on pass plays and therefore stayed out of the lanes, but they've got a year under their belts and they need to play with confidence, ala Skai Moore. That kid is the real deal.

I'm hoping that Bryant shows out next season. He was supposed to be the real deal, too.

Also, our guys need major work on the fundamentals of tackling. Break down, square the shoulders, wrap up. Don't cross your feet in the open field, etc. They teach this stuff in high school. Botkin needs to address this immediately. No excuses.

The Spur? We don't seem to have a solution for that position right now.

Still, I like faster, slimmer linebackers more than most do. If they are smart and play their assignments well, properly executed tackles will take down even the best runners.

I think this crew can get the job done next year, except for the spur position. Just don't know who is going to step up there.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I don't know about Botkin's ability to recruit specifically, but I do know character when I read about it. He stepped down from college level coaching to the high school level because someone in his family needed him at home. That tells me that he has his priorities in the right place, and that he understands life is about relationships not about football. A man like that is going to naturally be an awesome recruiter. I don't think you have a thing to worry about.

PS: it also says a lot about Whammy because he recognized character and went after it when he knew he was going to catch flack from the online "realists".
Great observation!

Old 12-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #20
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
EJ rarely blitzed. Anyone who watched films of our defense would think "I want to go to a school that takes chances and has an aggressive, in-your-face defense. South Carolina plays it conservative. No thanks, I'll pass."

Our linebacking has a long way to go.

Yes, they made significant progress, but we are not good at all at stuffing the run, and it's NOT because our guys are "small".

It doesn't matter how big you are if you AREN'T EVEN THERE!

Our guys need to understand that it is their job to clog the running lanes and not just the job of the tackles. I think they were scared to death of being caught with their pants down on pass plays and therefore stayed out of the lanes, but they've got a year under their belts and they need to play with confidence, ala Skai Moore. That kid is the real deal.

I'm hoping that Bryant shows out next season. He was supposed to be the real deal, too.

Also, our guys need major work on the fundamentals of tackling. Break down, square the shoulders, wrap up. Don't cross your feet in the open field, etc. They teach this stuff in high school. Botkin needs to address this immediately. No excuses.

The Spur? We don't seem to have a solution for that position right now.

Still, I like faster, slimmer linebackers more than most do. If they are smart and play their assignments well, properly executed tackles will take down even the best runners.

I think this crew can get the job done next year, except for the spur position. Just don't know who is going to step up there.

What? Spur is manned by all-sec Golightly...