CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JulesWinnfield90
black_magic85
rolinb1
BlueHerons
Gamecocks1137
trapper82
StormOfTalons
nodnahs
robgusc76
nicstockman
TAMU Starting CB Out (1574)
Clemson RB Out for Y (1465)
Clowney possibly hur (1043)
Our players and the (956)
an apology (890)
They are coming to y (885)
2013 game vs TN is o (882)
Your SEC Standings P (879)
Hard Knocks this wee (683)
Favorite Gamecock of (593)
Your SEC Standings Predic
TAMU Starting CB Out For
an apology
Spurrier: Davis May Not B
How are we feeling about
First "Carolina Call
Connor Shaw Browns
Clemson RB Out for Year
texags
Gamecocks do the Ice Buck

Old 12-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
GarnetBlackAttack
Recruit

CockyCash: 500
GarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervous
Default Brochures/Info from Carolina for perspective students

My daughter filled out some paperwork for college and is starting to get information/brochures from colleges all over. She has gotten tons of information from clemson, including a brochure inviting her to come visit for their c-cats scholar weekend. What is killing me is that she has received nothing from Carolina, and of course that is where she wants to go. Has anybody else gone thru this, and if so can you shed light on why we are not receiving anything from USC.

Thanks.
GarnetBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material
Default Re: Brochures/Info from Carolina for perspective students

Are you in SC? Has she attended a college fair? That's where I got most of my info on all the schools I applied to. They have tons and tons of handouts and brochures.

But if you need info beyond the website, contact the Visitors Center and I'm sure they will be more than happy to flood you with packets.

Sign up for a tour. They are free and provide great info. I grew up in Columbia and a Gamecock fan but I never knew much about the school (beyond sports) until the tour
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetBlackAttack View Post
My daughter filled out some paperwork for college and is starting to get information/brochures from colleges all over. She has gotten tons of information from clemson, including a brochure inviting her to come visit for their c-cats scholar weekend. What is killing me is that she has received nothing from Carolina, and of course that is where she wants to go. Has anybody else gone thru this, and if so can you shed light on why we are not receiving anything from USC.

Thanks.
Probably a dumb question, but has she applied to Carolina? If so, call the admissions office. Her stuff may have gotten lost in the mail, etc.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
GarnetBlackAttack
Recruit

GarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
Are you in SC? Has she attended a college fair? That's where I got most of my info on all the schools I applied to. They have tons and tons of handouts and brochures.

But if you need info beyond the website, contact the Visitors Center and I'm sure they will be more than happy to flood you with packets.

Sign up for a tour. They are free and provide great info. I grew up in Columbia and a Gamecock fan but I never knew much about the school (beyond sports) until the tour
Thanks for replying. We are in Lexington; my wife and I both went to Carolina so we know USC well. We will do the tour eventually, but my concern is why hasn't Carolina sent anything via mail like the other in state schools are doing. Does Carolina just not recruit heavily like clemson or coastal? Do they not send brochures/info in the mail like the other schools? Just trying to understand how they work.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
GarnetBlackAttack
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Probably a dumb question, but has she applied to Carolina? If so, call the admissions office. Her stuff may have gotten lost in the mail, etc.
usc90grad, not a dumb question. She's only a Soph in high school, but is starting to get all this info from other schools, except Carolina. This is weird to me but maybe Carolina works differently. Clemson sure seems to recruit heavily.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
usc90grad, not a dumb question. She's only a Soph in high school, but is starting to get all this info from other schools, except Carolina. This is weird to me but maybe Carolina works differently. Clemson sure seems to recruit heavily.
It's has been so long ago for me, so I don't know how it works these days. But if Clemson is sending info, USC should be too. I'm surprised they target sophs though, but I guess it's never too early. And I assume she has pretty good grades if she's already getting info.

Your duty as a Dad is to keep her away from the orange...lol.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

I'm sure you've seen this, but just in case. I know you were asking why they haven't automatically sent info, but you can also request it.

http://www.sc.edu/admissions/apply/f...s/default.html
Old 12-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
GarnetBlackAttack
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
I'm sure you've seen this, but just in case. I know you were asking why they haven't automatically sent info, but you can also request it.

http://www.sc.edu/admissions/apply/f...s/default.html

Thanks, This is the kind of stuff she's getting in the mail from others, including tater tech. They send these colorful post cards with campus happenings for high school kids. It's kinda sickening.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

I don't remember getting a lot of stuff in the mail until around junior year and even then I don't remember getting anything from USC at all until I toured. Most of my random mailings came from smaller out of state schools. I distinctly remember several mailings from Tusculum and Sewanee, both which I had never previously heard of.

For what it's worth, USC targets MANY more out of state students than Clemson. They may focus on getting the out of state buzz going first (as HS underclassmen) then recruit more in state later on since they know USC may already be on in state kid's minds

Does she have a collegeboard account or has she began SAT/ACT testing? A lot more will probably start coming then, too.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
bryarx
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

I don't believe I started receiving any info in high school until after I took the PSAT, and had my scores sent to the colleges I selected. Has she had her scores sent to colleges?
USC might not send info as early as soph in HS.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
Nassau Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Nassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot material

I went to Carolina so long ago, we got telegrams and smoke signals.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

I don't remember getting any information until after my scores were sent to schools. And to be honest, I don't remember getting anything from Carolina, but then again, it didn't matter to me whether they "recruited" me or not. I was going there regardless. Everything that came from Clemsux went straight into the trash.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
Cocky chick
Blue Chip

Female

Cocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot material

I believe the only paper communication we've had with Carolina that I can remember was my daughter's acceptance package and when we paid for her parking pass. Everything is done online and I do mean everything. One thing I learned is that Carolina doesn't have to actively go after students so much because there are so many applicants. I really wouldn't stress over it, especially since she's only a sophomore.
Cocky chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
GarnetBlackAttack
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
I don't believe I started receiving any info in high school until after I took the PSAT, and had my scores sent to the colleges I selected. Has she had her scores sent to colleges?
USC might not send info as early as soph in HS.
Thanks, yes she has taken the PSAT. She is also actively involved in school goverment. Many of the paperwork she has filled out for school information has come from those 2 things.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
GarnetBlackAttack
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
I don't remember getting any information until after my scores were sent to schools. And to be honest, I don't remember getting anything from Carolina, but then again, it didn't matter to me whether they "recruited" me or not. I was going there regardless. Everything that came from Clemsux went straight into the trash.
And, that's how we feel. The problem is a lot of her friends want her to attend this c-cat's thing at clemtech. Honestly, it would be a good college experience but it's clem and it's just a money making thing for them. And, I don't want her to like anything about that school. That's just me.

My household is just questioning why Carolina hasn't sent anything.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
GarnetBlackAttack
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
I don't remember getting a lot of stuff in the mail until around junior year and even then I don't remember getting anything from USC at all until I toured. Most of my random mailings came from smaller out of state schools. I distinctly remember several mailings from Tusculum and Sewanee, both which I had never previously heard of.

For what it's worth, USC targets MANY more out of state students than Clemson. They may focus on getting the out of state buzz going first (as HS underclassmen) then recruit more in state later on since they know USC may already be on in state kid's minds

Does she have a collegeboard account or has she began SAT/ACT testing? A lot more will probably start coming then, too.
The focus on out of state first is what I was kinda thinking too. It still sucks that clem is so focused on instate recruiting. I have some friends who have kids looking at clem that say they really do recruit hard.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
And, that's how we feel. The problem is a lot of her friends want her to attend this c-cat's thing at clemtech. Honestly, it would be a good college experience but it's clem and it's just a money making thing for them. And, I don't want her to like anything about that school. That's just me.

My household is just questioning why Carolina hasn't sent anything.
There is your problem. It's not about you. It's about her and her chance to get to experience the entire college recruitment fun. If she really wants to go and share this experience with her friends - what is more important? That she gets to experience something great with her friends or that you don't want her to go because it's at Clemsux?

I did all kinds of things like this when I was being "recruited" to share the experiences with my friends. I didn't care less where it was.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
bryarx
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

I did a summer week long program at Clemson when I was between middle school and high school I think. It's no big deal, gave me a chance to get out of town for a week, and go see what I hated. It certainly didn't win me over being there for a week, as I still enrolled into USC four years later.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
GarnetBlackAttack
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
There is your problem. It's not about you. It's about her and her chance to get to experience the entire college recruitment fun. If she really wants to go and share this experience with her friends - what is more important? That she gets to experience something great with her friends or that you don't want her to go because it's at Clemsux?

I did all kinds of things like this when I was being "recruited" to share the experiences with my friends. I didn't care less where it was.

Did you do this at Carolina? When? Where else? Did you go to Clemson? If not, why not?
Old 12-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

My parents never pushed me toward any school in particular, but I never even toured Clemson. I toured Winthop, CofC, App State, UGA and Carolina and applied to all of them. I didn't want to give Clemson the application fee money, hahaha.