CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
rosstheboss
b381l
bigdog2003
hyoung912
Spurrier_Superior_On
carolina_corpsman
WeStillOwnUSC
2001 vs Sandstorm (1210)
**USC vs. USC-Upstat (1102)
Cunningham wants to (610)
Purple drank (457)
Horseshoes has been (232)
Clemson Georgia Game (232)
ESPN article on Clow (188)
Fumble party (171)
1964 World’s Fair (141)
Softball tops Georgi (139)
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2001 vs Sandstorm
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
Bianca Cuevas - 2014 WBB
Season Rankings Thread...
Cunningham wants to hear
Acock reviews the SEC Net
Softball tops Georgia Sou
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Name a Gamecock

Old 06-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material
Default We must stop Crossfit!

Ok guys. I don't know how many of you do Crossfit (or know people who do) but I find this article hilarious. I know many people who do it, including my former roommate and best friend, and this article is seriously dead on.

If you've had the experiences I've had, I think you will find this funny too. It's all in good fun. I know you Crossfitters are intense and it's a great workout. Hopefully you'll find it funny too.

http://postgradproblems.com/stopcrossfit/
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Rewster
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPit
Default Re: We must stop Crossfit!

It was a fun article. The best thing about it in my opinion, is that I do crossfit for a lot of the reasons he listed NOT to do crossfit. Ha! Sans the whole couple thing and the never going to get into shape thing. It is kind of a cult though...
Rewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewster View Post
It was a fun article. The best thing about it in my opinion, is that I do crossfit for a lot of the reasons he listed NOT to do crossfit. Ha! Sans the whole couple thing and the never going to get into shape thing. It is kind of a cult though...
The cult part is what hooked my roommate! She's in it so deep now. She will have "Xfit" friends hangout sessions, she's all over the facebook page for her gym, posting nonstop about it online, she had every episode of the Crossfit Games DVRed and would rewatch them weekly. She's obsessed with getting online RIGHT at 10pm nightly when the WOD goes up for the next day. She's even had a Crossfit relationship, which of course ended poorly and now they are left to just stare awkwardly at each other whenever they are "at the box" together.

None of this is bad, really. And she's very healthy and fit. I just like to pick on her about it.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
Rewster
Blue Chip

Male

Rewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPit

I don't quite go to that extreme, but my morning routine consists of sitting down at my desk with my cottage cheese, nuts and whatever carb I choose that morning and perusing the crossfit page for the new WOD and all the early bird's times on it so I can gauge myself that day while I wait for my Marines to show up. It really helps the day go by quickly knowing that in a few hours I get to go to the box and have fun with a workout that I may not have done before.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
Rewster
Blue Chip

Male

That first sentence may have been a run on...

lol
Old 06-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewster View Post
I don't quite go to that extreme, but my morning routine consists of sitting down at my desk with my cottage cheese, nuts and whatever carb I choose that morning and perusing the crossfit page for the new WOD and all the early bird's times on it so I can gauge myself that day while I wait for my Marines to show up. It really helps the day go by quickly knowing that in a few hours I get to go to the box and have fun with a workout that I may not have done before.
She actually just went up to Charlotte a few weekends ago to get certified to become a coach, so I suppose she will be doing that as supplemental income soon. I'm glad she found somewhere she can be happy and something that works for her. Still super cult-y to me, though. haha

PS that crap is EXPENSIVE! 1000 bucks for a 2 day certification course you're not guaranteed to pass. Crazy.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
GamecockNeal
American Gamecock....

Male

CockyCash: 3683
GamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot material

I hate crossfit because all my friends that do it all constantly post pics on facebook of them working out. I mean every single crossfit friend that does it, has pics online. Its a great workout and good for reaching goals but I am tired of f-ing seeing pics.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #8
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
She actually just went up to Charlotte a few weekends ago to get certified to become a coach, so I suppose she will be doing that as supplemental income soon. I'm glad she found somewhere she can be happy and something that works for her. Still super cult-y to me, though. haha

PS that crap is EXPENSIVE! 1000 bucks for a 2 day certification course you're not guaranteed to pass. Crazy.
What kind of job does your roommate have. How does she have time to do all this Crossfit whatever that is.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #9
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockNeal View Post
I hate crossfit because all my friends that do it all constantly post pics on facebook of them working out. I mean every single crossfit friend that does it, has pics online. Its a great workout and good for reaching goals but I am tired of f-ing seeing pics.
Honestly, I think my favorite part of the article was when he said "Facebook asks 'What's on your mind?', not 'How was Crossfit today?'" SO TRUE.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:

Kind of like zumba

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Never done it. I exercise the old fashion way, with a pair of running shoes and my feet and eating somewhat healthy
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
Gamerooster
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 26386
Gamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot material

It's not really a cult, just a fad.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

I own/operate a "regular gym" and a "crossfit box" so I have a pretty unique perspective on this one. The article is a little funny and a lot ignorant, though, for sure.

Last edited by Gaichon; 06-14-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
What kind of job does your roommate have. How does she have time to do all this Crossfit whatever that is.
They are in college, so I would assume she doesn't have a real job.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

On the topic though, it does get aggravating. Especially because it seems like MOST of the people doing CrossFit on my FB were the people in high school and college that I knew who were very unathletic or primed for working out in the first place...yet now, "they are beasts" and it has developed a chip on their shoulder that allows them to think they could translate their CF success to other fields (playing football, MMA, kicking my ass, etc).

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
Jeff45ACP
I give girls the finger

Male

CockyCash: 6300
Jeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff45ACP

It's big here in Utah, and it seems like there is one on every damn corner now. I know a lot of people that do it, but don't care one way or the other. That said, the derby league I ref for got a new coach this season, and she is a crossfit trainer. She definitely helped with some of the girls agility and stamina, and doesn't seem too extreme. I know they said she squats something ridiculous amount, and I wouldn't mess with her. Pretty sure if she starts managing them during bouts, and screams at me about a call...I'd probably cry.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

One of our former pitchers, Chris Spigner, is an instructor in the Cayman Islands, and regularly competes.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
UpstateGamecock247
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
UpstateGamecock247 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockNeal View Post
Amen. Number one rule of social media, if you post a mirror picture with your shirt off, we can't be friends. Most guys that feel the need to post pictures of themselves flexing in the mirror are the ones that have the most trouble getting the ladies these days anyway.
UpstateGamecock247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #19
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Honestly, I think my favorite part of the article was when he said "Facebook asks 'What's on your mind?', not 'How was Crossfit today?'" SO TRUE.
This is what drives me crazy! And its not just Crossfit. Working out is great, but I dont need to know everything you did during the day. Its all for attention.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #20
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
She's still in school and works part time. She's doing a victory lap when she should have graduated already.

She was also on the Dance Team here at USC, and they were required to go to Crossfit twice weekly as part of their training. Some (like her) took a greater liking to it and went as often as possible.