CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
ertman420
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
Ericvol2096
RGHoskins
spareparts
usc90grad
ESPN article on Clow (1105)
Clemson Georgia Game (857)
Mangus now coaching (839)
Can Tennessee get to (617)
Chick Redefines the (377)
2 Crazy things (322)
The Bama series (307)
Spread vs. aTm (294)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (242)
Truly Inspiring (238)
Worse Hire Brad Scott or
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
2015 - Davon Durant
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
ESPN Article on HBC on on
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2 Crazy things
ESPN article on Clowney -
SEC Network "Take It

Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material
Default Start Running

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/...shtml?cmp=21-1
Quote:
Too many people have been turned off of running simply by trying to start off too fast. Their bodies rebel, and they wind up miserable, wondering why anyone would possibly want to do this to themselves.
You should ease into your running program gradually. In fact, the beginners' program we outline here is less of a running regimen than a walking and jogging program. The idea is to transform you from couch potato to runner, getting you running three miles (or 5K) on a regular basis in just two months.
It's easy to get impatient, and you may feel tempted to skip ahead in the program, but hold yourself back. Don't try to do more, even if you feel you can. If, on the other hand, you find the program too strenuous, just stretch it out. Don't feel pressured to continue faster than you're able. Repeat weeks if needed and move ahead only when you feel you're ready.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Re: Start Running

My daughter and I began running in February.

We compared our first run to yesterday's, and have cut 4:32 off the 1.36 mile circuit we run. We're now running consistent 11 minute miles and should be down to 9 minute miles in the fall, with a goal of running a 5K this Fall.

The site is absolutely right. Pace yourself. I have good days and bad days, but yesterday was amazing, after the run I felt good enough to do it all over again.

I'm not where I want to be, but I'm closer.

...and I'm so proud of my daughter. She's 8 and continues to motivate and push me.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

My pavement pounding days are over. The spirit is still willing but the knees and hips just wont go for it. My last race, a CRBR, was 5 years ago. I did it as a fund raiser for this local girl: http://www.yancey-gamecock.com/

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
DrPhilTheThrill
First Generation Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 200
DrPhilTheThrill is crowing loudlyDrPhilTheThrill is crowing loudlyDrPhilTheThrill is crowing loudlyDrPhilTheThrill is crowing loudlyDrPhilTheThrill is crowing loudlyDrPhilTheThrill is crowing loudlyDrPhilTheThrill is crowing loudlyDrPhilTheThrill is crowing loudlyDrPhilTheThrill is crowing loudlyDrPhilTheThrill is crowing loudlyDrPhilTheThrill is crowing loudly

I only run if I'm being chased. PERIOD.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

I wish I could run... I get passed by these guys at the track and get very jealous!!!
BUT, I have been walking at least 15 miles per week, and reducing soda and meat intake, and have lost 30 lbs in the last 2 months. It's a start, anyways. I bought a nice bike, so I hope I can get into that for more calorie burn.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
GH
Moonocababa

Male

GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

biking is killer
Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

Since I've had my back fused, I'm not supposed to run so I haven't.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
GH
Moonocababa

Male

Old 06-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
Stillwearingmyjoehat
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000500
Stillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot material

"Running is a good walk spoiled" - Teddy Roosevelt.

"When we are retreating we run away, when we are attacked we run for cover and when we are defeated we run a white flag. Running is for losers." - Marshall Foche.

"No poor dumb bastard ever won a war running for his country. He won by making the other poor dumb bastard run for his!" - Toshiro Mefune.

"I'd love to come in and have a drink but I've got a run in my stockings and need to get home." - Dame Edna.
Stillwearingmyjoehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
USCgamecocks
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1368
USCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPit

I'm a big fan of running, I only do about 15-20 miles a week since I'm cross training for tri's. A good run in the early morning on the weekend is a great way to start the day. I will say the group of people you end up running with / racing against tend to be some of the most positive people you ever encounter.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
GH
Moonocababa

Male

Old 06-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
GH
Moonocababa

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCgamecocks View Post
I'm a big fan of running, I only do about 15-20 miles a week since I'm cross training for tri's. A good run in the early morning on the weekend is a great way to start the day. I will say the group of people you end up running with / racing against tend to be some of the most positive people you ever encounter.

I agree. Running gives me a good feeling - even on those days when I cannot get out of 1st gear. I find some freedom and happiness in running.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

My daughter just broke 11 min mile today. Not only that, but on a sprint to finish our 2 mile run...she.... she beat me.

I'm proud and sad at the same time.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 180386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

i thought teddy said golf is a good walk spoiled
SterlingBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #15
CockinAthens
Behind enemy lines

Male

CockyCash: 357300
CockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot material

I started using this last fall, got to a point where I felt more comfy running and started doing my own thing. Now, I can run 6.5 miles in an hour and am working on slowly increasing my speed.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #16
GH
Moonocababa

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBrooks View Post
i thought teddy said golf is a good walk spoiled

Mark Twain said that

Quote:
"Golf is a good walk spoiled." - Mark Twain

Old 06-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
Jeff45ACP
I give girls the finger

Male

CockyCash: 6300
Jeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff45ACP

Anybody ever participate in one of the Ragnar relays? It's pretty big out here in Utah, and I know a few people on a team that say it's fun, as long as you're prepared for it. The one here runs from Logan to Park City. I got offered a spot, but I'd prob collapse before I finished my first leg.

Quote:
Ragnar is the overnight running relay race that makes testing your limits a team sport. A team is made up of 6-12 individuals; each individual runs 3 legs. The legs of the race vary in difficulty and distance, from 3-8 miles, allowing elite and novice runners to run together. Over 2 days and 1 night, teams run across 200 miles of the country’s most scenic terrain. Pair that with crazy costumes, inside jokes, a great finish line party and unforgettable stories. Some call it a slumber party without sleep, pillows or deodorant. We call it Ragnar
http://www.ragnarrelay.com/race/wasatchback
Old 06-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Thanks for the link GH. I've just made the decision to get myself in shape. Got a copy of p90x that I'm starting in the morning, so I will probably wait a few months to try this out since I anticipate the p90x workout is going to kick my ass.
GarnetInChicago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
USCgamecocks
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1368
USCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPit

There is the Palmetto 200 relay from Charleston to Columbia

http://www.palmetto200.com/course_13.html
Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
Shimano
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
Shimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spursShimano has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCgamecocks View Post
There is the Palmetto 200 relay from Charleston to Columbia

http://www.palmetto200.com/course_13.html
Looks awesome! I may have to give this one a go....
Shimano is offline   Reply With Quote