CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ertman420
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
Ericvol2096
RGHoskins
usc90grad
rosstheboss
thekob
Mangus now coaching (903)
Can Tennessee get to (702)
Chick Redefines the (430)
2 Crazy things (393)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (349)
ESPN Article on HBC (337)
Spread vs. aTm (328)
The Bama series (325)
Lindy's top 100 for (290)
2014 garnet and blac (145)
Mangus now coaching TEs
2001 vs Sandstorm
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
2 Crazy things
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
Spurrier would take Clown
Worse Hire Brad Scott or
Spread vs. aTm

Old 12-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #1
Pappop
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Pappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talonsPappop has developed his gaff and talons
Default Wisconsin Game ESPNU

Know it's late but just saw where one of Wisconsin's regular season games is being replayed at 2:30 am tonight. For those of you, like me, that haven't seen them play you might want to DVR it.
Pappop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit
Default Re: Wisconsin Game ESPNU

Watching now. Shelton (DB) for Wiscy looks very good. Other DB's haven't done anything to catch my eye other than draw PI penalties. Their DL doesn't look dominant - we will have a huge size advantage with our OL. Their LB's don't look too athletic but play sound football and tackle well. Ariz St. receivers seem to be getting open off the line more often than not and Wiscy doesn't have speed to match ASU, so I'd assume our WR and Connor and Mike should all have the advantage of speed if they are in an open-field situation. Despite all that, they are a great unit. They play together much like our boys do. They will not slip up - we will have to go to our playmakers without a doubt. I'll post what I see on offense in a bit
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Wiscy has 35 rush TDs on the season... they are among the top 10 in the country in rushing ypg and they average about 6.6 ypc...this all amounts to an average of 283 yards per game on the ground and those are power yards, between the tackles. We absolutely cannot give up that kind of yardage. ASU effectively shut down the power running game by bringing extra heat off the edge w/ corner and OLB blitzes. Gordon is no joke though - he has home run capability. He's a burner and has great vision. Their qb hasn't done a single thing to catch my eye. Granted their running game has dominated this game so far, but he isn't overly accurate and he definitely doesn't bring the running threat to the table. He does seem like a good leader and it appeared he brought Wiscy all the way back to kick a FG as time expired but the refs kind of screwed Wiscy.

All in all, their offensive approach is without a doubt to ground a pound until the 3rd and 4th quarters and hit a few big ones. They also throw in the play action but the Wiscy qb doesn't do a great job of selling the fake to Gordon so hopefully we stay on our assignments. Their OL is gigantic - pretty much as big and talented as anyone we've faced. Our defensive speed, especially on the line and in the defensive backfield, should allow us to keep them under 20 points pretty easily. I am thinking we can win about 31-17 just like Clemson.

Sidenote - their Special Teams have not impressed me. Muffed punt, punter doesn't seem to have a boomer for a leg, etc. Coverage seems to stay in their lanes so it's tough to get one back on them.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Yeah, our LBs will have to be on their game. Also, they're not likely to make many mistakes, so don't count on a lot of turnovers.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Yeah, our LBs will have to be on their game. Also, they're not likely to make many mistakes, so don't count on a lot of turnovers.
Have to get penetration and prevent 2nd or 3rd and shorts. Force them to throw to get 1st downs.
They likely are a better team than Mich was last year and definitely better than Huskers in '11.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

Yeah we tend to not do well against these ground and pound type teams. I used to be afraid of the spread teams when in reality those are our best match ups. We have got to close the running lanes if we are to win this one.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
I used to be afraid of the spread teams when in reality those are our best match ups.
Yea....the 4-2-5 has done well for us v. spread types.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Gotta force the turnovers.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Not many folks that I have seen in the media are giving us much of a chance.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
zbadger
Walk On

Male

zbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervous

Haha, most Wisconsin fans can't stomach watching a replay of the ASU game knowing how it ended.

A couple things to add:
- Remember this was only the 3rd game of the year
- ASU's QB is very good (and what scares me is that Connor Shaw is similar)
- Marion Grice is similar to Mike Davis and we contained him though didn't shut him down (Mike Davis is better than Grice so he can have better numbers)
- back shoulder throws ughh, we got killed by Kelly's back shoulder throws
- our special teams is indeed very unspecial, we have switched kickers since then though and its made a noticeable difference on kickoff coverage. Also, I don't know if Gary will allow it, but Abbredaris could return punts in the bowl game and he is a very dangerous punt returner (we just couldn't risk it during the year because he is our only WR).

In summary, ASU is a very good game to look at in considering how USC will do against Wisconsin so if this game ends up as tight as that one, we are in for a great one in January.
zbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
BigAppleBucky
Walk On

Male

BigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spurs

Quote:
It's not likely for a Wisconsin running back to fumble, but Stave throws at least a couple of really bad passes a game. If your d-backs and linebackers are awake and aware, they should be able to take advantage. Stave can hit some beautiful long passes from time to time, but his short game is very iffy. He's capable of throwing into the turf or the stands on any throw. Wind bothers him. At 6'5" he shouldn't have passes batted down as often as he does.

Wisconsin plays a 3-4 defense which gives most teams a size advantage, but does allow Wisconsin to more easily mix up the offensive linemen and cause them to miss blocking assignments. A couple of freshmen, who didn't play (much) against ASU have since made significant contributions on defense.

The starting center against ASU was hurt mid-season and won't play Jan 1. That makes this easily the worst offensive line depth Wisconsin has had in years. Also the fewest pro-prospects. Your two top D-line guys will feast on this offensive line, which, BTW, is actually smaller than South Carolina's O-line.

Shelton is a great d-back for a freshman, and he should be really good in a couple of years, but he is still prone to freshman mistakes. He lets primary receivers get behind him too often.

South Carolina will be the first team all year that's both faster and bigger than Wisconsin.

The placekicker in the ASU game lost his starting job at mid-season. Not certain if Kenzel Doe will return kicks and punts. They may let Abbrederis do the PR and Gordon the KR since Doe muffed a couple late in the season.
BigAppleBucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

I only caught a few plays of this game but one that stood out to me was ASU running a corner blitz for an easy sack. The DB snuck up to the line and neither the left tackle or quarterback had any clue he was coming until the qb was eating turf. If their LT is preoccupied with Clowney, the Badger qb will get to know Jimmy Legree and Vic Hampton.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
I only caught a few plays of this game but one that stood out to me was ASU running a corner blitz for an easy sack. The DB snuck up to the line and neither the left tackle or quarterback had any clue he was coming until the qb was eating turf. If their LT is preoccupied with Clowney, the Badger qb will get to know Jimmy Legree and Vic Hampton.
yep, if you look at my second post I said the same thing. ASU made Wiscy go to the air because they shut down the ground n pound w the edge blitzes. I don't mind sending a corner or OLB pretty often. One blitzer + clowney's speed will allow for big Kelcy and JT and Chaz to corral the runner and then the LB's just have to be home to make tackles when needed. This is a huge game for Skai and expect his best game of the year (only because it seems like he literally had a better game every week as the season progressed).

If we can hold them under 150 rushing yards and force a turnover or two, we could win this handily. If we can't stop their rushing game, we will just end up in a shootout and I like our team speed vs their team speed.

Ideally, we can come out and stop them first drive, score on our first drive, and get some game pressure applied to Wiscy. Do that and we'd be sitting pretty. Ground n pound teams aren't built to come back very well.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
2010Redbirds
You best believe

Male

CockyCash: 9976675
2010Redbirds is sharpening his claws2010Redbirds is sharpening his claws2010Redbirds is sharpening his claws2010Redbirds is sharpening his claws2010Redbirds is sharpening his claws

when is the person gonna put together a wisconsin preview type damned thing,, therefore i dont hafta take time looking and scouting these guys out.. eeesscchh, i work to damn much.. thanks
Old 12-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
MDCox
Two Deep

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Winning the Board Bowl Contest 
CockyCash: 1740616
MDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudly

WI is one of the best rushing teams in the country. They have 3 stud RBs and their OL are trees. They will move the ball. USC cannot make mistakes and turn the ball over.

-----Jump out early and get a stop---- force 3rd and long.

They are very sound and it should be a good game. Both teams are good enough to beat the other. It should not be a blow out, but WI does have a better running game scheme and could run tons of time off the clock and not leave USC with a lot of drives.

------USC is the better passing team and can strike fast------

WI would have a hard time coming back from a 17 pt deficient like USC did against Mizzou.

If you type in all caps I am not reading your post. Simple as that.
MDCox is offline   Reply With Quote