CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
ertman420
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
RGHoskins
spareparts
Ericvol2096
usc90grad
ESPN article on Clow (1105)
Clemson Georgia Game (857)
Mangus now coaching (839)
Can Tennessee get to (617)
Chick Redefines the (377)
2 Crazy things (322)
The Bama series (307)
Spread vs. aTm (294)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (242)
Truly Inspiring (238)
2015 - Davon Durant
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Worse Hire Brad Scott or
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
ESPN Article on HBC on on
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2 Crazy things
ESPN article on Clowney -
SEC Network "Take It
Lindy's top 100 for 2010

Old 12-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Country music today

Saw this posted somewhere and thought it was pretty funny

I'm a big country music fan but I can't disagree with it. A lot of country right now is pretty redundant. Some of it I like, some of it I don't. You're starting to see some resistance from country artists trying to get rid of this "fad".
Old 12-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76
Default Re: Country music today

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Saw this posted somewhere and thought it was pretty funny

I'm a big country music fan but I can't disagree with it. A lot of country right now is pretty redundant. Some of it I like, some of it I don't. You're starting to see some resistance from country artists trying to get rid of this "fad".
I literally just saw this on foxnews and it was "Dead on balls accurate" (My cousin vinny quote). The whole article I read is right here, this line hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
"Ten gallon hats and Wrangler jeans now feel out of place in a sea of trucker caps and wallet chains," Smith wrote in the introduction to his list of 2013's Top 10 Country Albums.

"In short, the genre is something of a mess right now," he said. "Itís telling that the country format is both more popular and more criticized than it has been in decades."
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ntcmp=features
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I'll first admit I'm not a country fan...I borderline hate it...but hey, if people like it, fine, I can also turn the dial or download something else.

But this video hits it...extremely redundant/cookie-cutter...almost like the same guy is writing everybody's songs...I will admit there are two or three people I like (Rascal Flatt, Brad Paisley and Keith Urban) but to me, nearly every guy sounds and looks the same, as does every girl.

I'm more of a fan of old country and bluegrass (among also jazz, blues, classical all the way through different genres of rock and metal). I can say this isn't a problem just confined to country music. Today's "pop" music is all electronic, auto-tuning...a lot like House music we had in the 1990s (which virtually no one liked...go figure). Even rock music is getting cookie-cutter (at least in sound styles and pacing of songs).

Honestly...the problem is the music distributors I think...they tell the artisits what is cool, what sound they need to go for, that "this forumula worked for this person, so we will do it with you too."

Sadly, it is the balance of creativity and commerce, and right now commerce is winning at the expense of art...and yes, true country music is art and a part of our culture..the same way blues and jazz is apart of our culture...it is OUR (American) music.

And the reason so many country singers, and singers in general, aren't willing to change is that labels will drop them and find someone else that will do what they want.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I'll first admit I'm not a country fan...I borderline hate it...but hey, if people like it, fine, I can also turn the dial or download something else.

But this video hits it...extremely redundant/cookie-cutter...almost like the same guy is writing everybody's songs...I will admit there are two or three people I like (Rascal Flatt, Brad Paisley and Keith Urban) but to me, nearly every guy sounds and looks the same, as does every girl.

I'm more of a fan of old country and bluegrass (among also jazz, blues, classical all the way through different genres of rock and metal). I can say this isn't a problem just confined to country music. Today's "pop" music is all electronic, auto-tuning...a lot like House music we had in the 1990s (which virtually no one liked...go figure). Even rock music is getting cookie-cutter (at least in sound styles and pacing of songs).

Honestly...the problem is the music distributors I think...they tell the artisits what is cool, what sound they need to go for, that "this forumula worked for this person, so we will do it with you too."

Sadly, it is the balance of creativity and commerce, and right now commerce is winning at the expense of art...and yes, true country music is art and a part of our culture..the same way blues and jazz is apart of our culture...it is OUR (American) music.

And the reason so many country singers, and singers in general, aren't willing to change is that labels will drop them and find someone else that will do what they want.
Exactly. It's what sells. You're even seeing the more traditional country artists become more "progressive". Others like Alan Jackson have decided to hold off making country music because they refuse to change their brand for "what sells". Jackson came out with a bluegrass album this year.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Pop country is awful. Been that way for years. The songs and sound get worse and worse year after year. Doesn't take much talent like singing or playing an instrument-just have to look good and act cool. It's funny how they keep trying to broaden their audience by adding more electric guitars to their shows and an occasional rapper to their videos. Sad to say but pedal steel guitars and fiddles are a thing of the past.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

As ardent of a country fan as I am, it's hard to disagree with this. Country music today is too mainstream and appeals too much to the younger crowd. I can probably name on one hand how many songs I really liked this year, and that may even be tough to do.

Since I got my iPhone about a year ago and got the Pandora app, all I pretty much listen to is 80 and 90's country, with classic rock mixed in sometimes depending on what my mood is that day.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Big fan of country music. Not a fan of whatever this garbage is Nashville has pumped out for the last 20 years. Luckily living in Texas I can get Red Dirt music on the radio, but even that is too commercialized.

When Garth Brooks released "No Fences" that was the beginning of the end. Lots of reasons for that, but it was def the turning point.

RIP, Waylon.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

Who's gonna fill their shoes?
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
scfanz
Starter

Male

scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

Country music sold out to the dollar. There's very few true country artists left. Most of what is played on the radio today is pop music. I miss George Jones and Johnny Cash.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #10
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

That is so accurate it's scary. But, I can't blame them, this is their career and like others stated, it's what brings in the money. If you told me I could play guitar in Nickelback, i'd do it in a heartbeat. Wanna laugh at me? You can laugh as i'm driving to the bank.
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

REAL Country Music was killed off by the same thing that killed REAL
Rock n Roll. Corporate Industry involvement into the medium for the
purpose of advertisement and profit. It "basically" started (or got out of
hand) with the circus that was Frampton Comes Alive. The Record Company
hype months before it's release, the paid radio/TV executives to push
the Album, and the overplaying the tracks from the album once it was
released. It set records for the most costly album to produce, but it also
set records for the amount of cash made from sales and concert attendance.
It was the beginning of the end. After Frampton Comes Alive, concert ticket
sales went from about $15.00 a ticket in/around 1974-75 to somewhere in
the $35.00 range in 1975-76 and grew steadily almost every 6 months or so.
Every major name in Rock that put out an album also had major corporate
sponsors attached to the album itself and/or the tour to support the
new album release. Rock bands/artists were starting to sign multi million
dollar contract deals not only with the Record Companies, but with
Corporations like Ford Motor Company, Budwiser, Sony, Pepsi etc....
in order to get their name on the Album, the Tour and the band's music.
Music went from entertainment for the average blue collar Joe, to
a special event for the upper middle class.

Country music soon followed in it's footsteps. Country Music in the 90s
and early 2000s was what Rock was in the early to late 80s. Overhyped
younger artists who's main goal was to produce a couple or singles on
every album that would get the sponsors name out there, and something
they could make a cool video out of to play into the ground on MTV (rock)
and CMT (for Country music). ... Music in general was successful or
not by way of growth numbers on a spread sheet rather than record sales
and call in requests to the DJs on the air. Now everytime a Name act
takes the stage, it's done behind months of hype and advertisement,
and online ticket sales of prices "BEGINING" at $85.00-$100.00 range, to
see another name doing pretty much the same act as the other guy / gal
just did a few months earlier. Only with a different corporate sponsor, and
a little variation in the light show.

This same thing has invaded other forms of entertainment as well.
NASCAR is the main one that comes to mind. If followed the same model
as Rock Music starting in the 90s and it's pretty much killed off a once
solid form of middle American pastime.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default Country music today

All music is redundant but that was just too much. Big business has changed Nashville. Everybody is a sell out.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
scgamecox2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 700
scgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot material

Everyone lamenting the death of country needs to check out this guy, along with Hayes Carll and American Aquarium, just to name a few.
Attached Images

scgamecox2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
roosterdude21
Two Deep

Male

roosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPit

I like when they team up with rappers. The combination is hilarious
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgamecox2001 View Post
Everyone lamenting the death of country needs to check out this guy, along with Hayes Carll and American Aquarium, just to name a few.
There's still good Rock n Roll if you want to travel every single day of
the year and do an almost 24/7/365 search of all the small venues and
clubs across America just to see the artist/band. OR pay $200+ for the
few good reunion tours some of the older rock bands do every half
decade or so.

I think the OP was talking about Country Music in general today vs what it was
pre 1980(ish).
Old 12-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
scgamecox2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 700
scgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
There's still good Rock n Roll if you want to travel every single day of
the year and do an almost 24/7/365 search of all the small venues and
clubs across America just to see the artist/band. OR pay $200+ for the
few good reunion tours some of the older rock bands do every half
decade or so.

I think the OP was talking about Country Music in general today vs what it was
pre 1980(ish).
Oh, no doubt that mainstream country is indeed in sad shape today. This "Bro Country" shit that has become so popular deserves it's own genre. As far as good Rock, I am fortunate enough to live within driving distance of Athens and Asheville, two of the better music towns in the Southeast.
scgamecox2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Darius Rucker still puts out a decent product IMO. I can tell he hates doing wagon wheel live though. I like some other popular acts too, Zac Brown Band is OK. For me though, I always end up on the pandora bluegrass station.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
uscjeremynca
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

I hate country music. I just don't listen to it. That's my choice. I respect the music though. I may be the only one in my family from SC that doesn't listen to it. However, there is a quality and depth to country music that will always be better than most of the cursing rap crap on the radio. It's garbage.

With that said, I grew up on country from the 80s. It's what my parents listened to. Even now, I have a few country music songs from the 80s on Spotify.

To be fair, I am a bit old school and this reflects my taste in music. All music, compared to that in the 80s, early 90s, and before that, is garbage. Granted, I also feel like video games and watching TV for kids is a waste of time when they should be using their minds, being more creative, and playing outside.

I'm (almost) 39 going on 80. However, my sentiments reflect my thoughts on music. Whether it's country or not, the quality isn't what it used to be.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #19
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Who knew that THIS would be the most influential country album of all time??

That's basically every male country artist of today right there
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #20
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Who knew that THIS would be the most influential country album of all time??

That's basically every male country artist of today right there
The absolute of absurdity of the Chris Gaines experiment came up at our Christmas party the other day - several Okie State folks in the crowd that feld the need to defend Garth/Chris.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote