CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
Singaporecock
ReadR00ster
sporkgod50
usc1
2000grad
markp_vip
jrussjr
G&B
ktguen
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Hillsborough (479)
Larenz Bryant update (459)
2015 - Chris Clark (425)
No.1 for 2016 has Ga (343)
UK's Whitlow to tran (269)
Bamberg High School (233)
GTA V online (224)
Its April 15th and i (173)
Joeckel Transfering (166)
A'ja Wilson
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Jameis Winston's Accuser
Larenz Bryant update?
response from charter abo
GTA V online
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
2015 - Emanuel McGirt
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
Joeckel Transfering from

Old 12-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad
Default UPS Fails to Deliver Christmas

This is all over the news, so thought it needed a thread. Any CT'ers affected by this?

Quote:
UPS determined late Tuesday that it wouldn't deliver some goods in time for Christmas, as a spike in last-minute shopping overwhelmed its system. "The volume of air packages in the UPS system did exceed capacity as demand was much greater than our forecast," a UPS spokeswoman said.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...80194287430208
Old 12-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Ole Gregg
make an assessment

Male

CockyCash: 7043011
Ole Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot material
Default Re: UPS Fails to Deliver Christmas

so that's where my Christmas presents are.
w
\.
" Are you playing your love games with me? "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIInySnQe4I
Ole Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 200
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

I blame people for waiting until the last damn minute...demand can exceed supply.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

As mentioned above, and in the article, this really isn't UPS' and FedEx's fault entirely. If folks didn't wait until the last damn minute, they wouldn't be without their gifts on Christmas.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
As mentioned above, and in the article, this really isn't UPS' and FedEx's fault entirely. If folks didn't wait until the last damn minute, they wouldn't be without their gifts on Christmas.
Exactly... have people never heard of capacity constraints? There is only so much business they can handle.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
A. Pilgrim
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
A. Pilgrim has feathers coming inA. Pilgrim has feathers coming inA. Pilgrim has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Exactly... have people never heard of capacity constraints? There is only so much business they can handle.
And when UPS reached that capacity, they couldnt tell customers that came in from that point that, due to capacity constraints, they could not guarantee their shipments would make it on time?
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

I understand the "don't wait until the last minute" argument, but also you use & pay extra for these companies to deliver when they say they will. UPS & FEDex are not cheap, their value is based around the fact that they do what they say they will do. I was not affected, but had I been assured that if I paid the extra money it would be delivered on a specific day & it didn't happen I would be upset.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
BleedsGarnet
4-Star

Male

BleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
And when UPS reached that capacity, they couldnt tell customers that came in from that point that, due to capacity constraints, they could not guarantee their shipments would make it on time?
There's a good chance the system was overloaded in a matter of seconds. It would take a few hours for the problem to be recognized then even more time ti confirm and issue a statement. They just can't shut down with the load they have to produce.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
BleedsGarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
I blame people for waiting until the last damn minute...demand can exceed supply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
That was my initial thought when I heard the story, but then read that UPS agreed to deliver the packages by the 24th. They knew they couldn't deliver in time and shouldn't have given the delivery guarantees. But that would have meant losing business.

Amazon is refunding shipping charges and even giving some customers a $20 gift card for a future purchase. Pretty good considering it wasn't their mistake.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

None of my stuff was late, and I think the fact that none of it came from areas affected by the winter weather that has been especially bad in many areas of the country so far this season is the reason.

Shop early and mail early has been good advice for years, so stick with it.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1214284
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Lol at the people saying this is not UPS's fault. If you offer a service and require more $ than the normal service to provide it then you better damn well come through and provide the service you were paid to do.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I used my Amazon Prime membership that I pay for to get free 2 day shipping. I ordered something that I needed (not Christmas related) on 12-21. It is still not here. Maybe this afternoon. Amazon was NOT amused at UPS' antics of trying to skim more money by cutting late delivery personnel. They refunded me $30 (half of my purchase price). They will not be shipping any Vaseline to UPS.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

The problem is marijuana. Ever since we made that more legal and widespread, no one's in a hurry anymore. What we should've done is legalized speed.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
It is bad business practice for those companies to promise delivery when they should have known they wouldn't be able to deliver.

On the other hand, if UPS / Fed EX told the customers it wouldn't deliver on time then people still would have bitched, but at least the companies would have communicated the issue.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22107959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
The problem is marijuana. Ever since we made that more legal and widespread, no one's in a hurry anymore. What we should've done is legalized speed.
true

Old 12-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
OscarTheGrouch
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 440
OscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPit

Just don't take it out on the men and women out there to try and deliver your packages.. these guys and gals work long long hours to make every effort they can to get the packages where they need to go.. They even use Sales Reps to deliver packages in their personal cars...
OscarTheGrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
GH

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
Just don't take it out on the men and women out there to try and deliver your packages.. these guys and gals work long long hours to make every effort they can to get the packages where they need to go.. They even use Sales Reps to deliver packages in their personal cars...

Old 12-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #18
Nassau Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Nassau Gamecock rules the CockPitNassau Gamecock rules the CockPitNassau Gamecock rules the CockPitNassau Gamecock rules the CockPitNassau Gamecock rules the CockPitNassau Gamecock rules the CockPitNassau Gamecock rules the CockPitNassau Gamecock rules the CockPitNassau Gamecock rules the CockPitNassau Gamecock rules the CockPitNassau Gamecock rules the CockPit

Mine were delivered by Santa. Works every time.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #19
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
Lol at the people saying this is not UPS's fault. If you offer a service and require more $ than the normal service to provide it then you better damn well come through and provide the service you were paid to do.
Absolutely! UPS could have anticipated the rush and adjusted their dates....it's called risk assessment and they better anticipate in next year, because more and more people are shopping online and the trend is likely to continue.

And BTW...did you know 2 Day Air does not mean 2 Day Air? It may never get into the air and it usually means it gets their on the 3rd day which they claim is actually the 2nd day. In most cases, 2 Day Air is the same as UPS ground...just paid more for the same.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
Smashies_AC30
The Garnet Invasion

Male

Smashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Absolutely! UPS could have anticipated the rush and adjusted their dates....it's called risk assessment and they better anticipate in next year, because more and more people are shopping online and the trend is likely to continue.

And BTW...did you know 2 Day Air does not mean 2 Day Air? It may never get into the air and it usually means it gets their on the 3rd day which they claim is actually the 2nd day. In most cases, 2 Day Air is the same as UPS ground...just paid more for the same.

I think I just learned this he hard way :/
Smashies_AC30 is offline   Reply With Quote