CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
WeStillOwnUSC
Coulwoodwarlord
Yearofthegamecock
gamecock88
TAFC 5 1981
LeeSC
SpurProsecutor
Kentucky prediction (1976)
Just Booked my Hotel (1330)
Best position coach (693)
So What? (663)
The New Idea That'll (651)
Waldrop doubtful for (583)
We Have A New KO Guy (458)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (386)
So What? (245)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (238)
If we loose to Kensucky..
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
Thoughts on the basketbal
Best position coach or co
What fish do you eat
I'm over the loss, but...
Kentucky prediction
OSU Coach Takes Down Disr
UK promoting a blackout f
Looking for 2 for Kentuck

Old 12-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material
Default sea world responds to the negative press

http://seaworldparks.com/seaworld-or...ttom_Promo&m=1

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material
Default Re: sea world responds to the negative press

People have been hard on them, one girl on my FB feed said she would defined anyone who went, that she was studying marine biology and sea world is the worst, I using my common sense said in this day in age any place as harmful as she made it out to be would be shut down quickly, I don't think they are perfect but I doubt they are as bad as they are made out to be

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Dawn was a great Gamecock and she loved those critters. She would have never done anything to hurt them. I dont care for trained animal acts whether at the circus or Sea World. However I can tell you that SW does a tremendous amount of good down here. When anything happens like mass beachings or simply a whale caught up in fishnets SW sends their teams out to help. In that regard they have been a great asset.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Lef me preface by saying I have not seen Blackfish, so I don't know all it entails however I was a marine biology major at CCU and USC and had met Dawn. Sea world does incredible amounts of good. That open letter of theirs is inaccurate though on a few points. Specifically the part about not collecting wild orcas. They may not do it anymore but it was done as recently as 30 years ago not 35. The first captive born killer whale was born in 1985. There have been no whales brought into the US since 1993 that were captured by drive hunting. Thjs type of capture is horrendous. It was depicted in Killer in the Pool. Something like 80-85% of all captive orcas today are captive born.

They claim that the life span of captive and wild orcas is comparable. That is not true as well. Wild male orcas live 70 years and females live 80+. Sea world does have a 50 year old whale but the majority of their animals do not live that long. While they have seen improvements in the amounts of miscarriages, stillbirths, and short life span off spring nobody really knows these rates in the wild. Their program by nature has high levels of in breeding which leads to defects, abnormalities, and death.

They say that they don't split mothers and offspring that is a lie. While they might keep them together early on they at some point will split and move them. In the wild orcas can live their entire lives together.

Their research is debatable because a captive orca and a wild orca are basically two different animals and the research does not cross over. They like to talk about their metabolism research but the diet of wild fresh fish versus previously frozen and thawed fish is too much of a variable for any correlation.

The killer whale that killed Dawn was caught of the coast of Iceland in 1983. That whale and his two first partners at sea world were not cared for with the level of care that sea world Orlando, San Diego, or San Antonio provide. That location was closed long ago. That whale was held in a tank at night that he could not move in. He was harassed by two female orcas and the staff did not know what they were doing. Tilikum the whale in question has been involved in 3 deaths while in sea world's care. At some point he should have been retired. If they want to keep him for breeding since he is one of the most successful at producing pups that make it then so be it. Just retire him from the shows and in water interactions don't trot him out there to end the show with the shamu splash. Yes i know dawn was not in the water when attacked.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 500
LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

For anybody who wants more info. on the topic I HIGHLY recommend 'Death at SeaWorld' by David Kirby. It is extensive and connects all of the dots along the way. Really opened my eyes to what I have always believed is the planet's most amazing animal. Great book!
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Who the hell is Dawn?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1705674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Who the hell is Dawn?
seaworld trainer that was killed by a whale in 2010, she went to USC

http://www.dawnsfoundation.org/

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Ok I thought that's you guys were referring 2.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

These professional protestors and whiners could not do a real job if their lives depended on it. They just don't understand that parks like these and zoos allow people to see land and sea life they otherwise would not be able to and learn to appreciate these animals.

Seaworld also has an excellent rehab facility for injured/sick manatees. It is amazing to see them up close.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox View Post
These professional protestors and whiners could not do a real job if their lives depended on it. They just don't understand that parks like these and zoos allow people to see land and sea life they otherwise would not be able to and learn to appreciate these animals.

Seaworld also has an excellent rehab facility for injured/sick manatees. It is amazing to see them up close.
Sea world does have a great rehab program but only for animals that aren't gonna be show worthy. Sea turtles, mantees, and such. Sea lions, seals, dolphins, and orca will be rehabbed and used for shows. They actively obtained Morgan who was rescued and many were under the assumption that he would be reintroduced to the wild. Nope his gene pool and money potential was too great
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

I dont care whether they treat the whales like kings, when you place an animal that size in a confined space its wrong. There's no way Sea World can provide enough space for those whales to live comfortably.

I saw Blackfish, and to be honest, there is just no way I can believe that those people made that stuff up. They dont have a reason to. And they seemed about as sincere as they could be.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #12
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
I dont care whether they treat the whales like kings, when you place an animal that size in a confined space its wrong. There's no way Sea World can provide enough space for those whales to live comfortably.

I saw Blackfish, and to be honest, there is just no way I can believe that those people made that stuff up. They dont have a reason to. And they seemed about as sincere as they could be.
people say the same thing about the Butler, and other things. I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. That said the same could be said about Elephants, Lions, Tigers, etc.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:36 AM   #13
Tim Taylor
Banned

Male

Tim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post

Follow the money. Documentaries are a joke nowadays. They went from information to propaganda. If you want the truth about what's going on at Seaworld, then go work for them. Watching a documentary or reading a letter from them won't tell you shit.
Tim Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured;4038416[B
]Lef me preface by saying I have not seen Blackfish, so I don't know all it entails[/b] however I was a marine biology major at CCU and USC and had met Dawn. Sea world does incredible amounts of good. That open letter of theirs is inaccurate though on a few points. Specifically the part about not collecting wild orcas. They may not do it anymore but it was done as recently as 30 years ago not 35. The first captive born killer whale was born in 1985. There have been no whales brought into the US since 1993 that were captured by drive hunting. Thjs type of capture is horrendous. It was depicted in Killer in the Pool. Something like 80-85% of all captive orcas today are captive born.

They claim that the life span of captive and wild orcas is comparable. That is not true as well. Wild male orcas live 70 years and females live 80+. Sea world does have a 50 year old whale but the majority of their animals do not live that long. While they have seen improvements in the amounts of miscarriages, stillbirths, and short life span off spring nobody really knows these rates in the wild. Their program by nature has high levels of in breeding which leads to defects, abnormalities, and death.

They say that they don't split mothers and offspring that is a lie. While they might keep them together early on they at some point will split and move them. In the wild orcas can live their entire lives together.

Their research is debatable because a captive orca and a wild orca are basically two different animals and the research does not cross over. They like to talk about their metabolism research but the diet of wild fresh fish versus previously frozen and thawed fish is too much of a variable for any correlation.

The killer whale that killed Dawn was caught of the coast of Iceland in 1983. That whale and his two first partners at sea world were not cared for with the level of care that sea world Orlando, San Diego, or San Antonio provide. That location was closed long ago. That whale was held in a tank at night that he could not move in. He was harassed by two female orcas and the staff did not know what they were doing. Tilikum the whale in question has been involved in 3 deaths while in sea world's care. At some point he should have been retired. If they want to keep him for breeding since he is one of the most successful at producing pups that make it then so be it. Just retire him from the shows and in water interactions don't trot him out there to end the show with the shamu splash. Yes i know dawn was not in the water when attacked.
Well it's pretty much what you said in this post. In fact, you did a better job of summing it up.

I watched it a few days ago, but I was underwhelmed by their arguments made against SW because they seemed somewhat weak and the documentary, as a whole, lacked true hitting power, IMO, in relation to how "critically acclaimed" it is.