CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
SAETerrier
HelleraisingCock
bigdog2003
gamecock88
roosterdude21
JerseyBird
Cockhornleghorn
Larenz Bryant update (1565)
Joeckel Transfering (888)
UK's Whitlow to tran (643)
Victor Hampton Arres (619)
2016 - Greg Little (597)
response from charte (448)
What type of snake i (426)
Wu Tang affiliated r (368)
13 Vintage Internet (222)
Korean ship carrying (185)
Playstation 4
A'ja Wilson
Softball takes 2 of 3 at
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Attendance next season
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Joeckel Transfering from
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
The case for Clowney at #
Victor Hampton Arrested

Old 12-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material
Default Bowling

Hey There-

I used to bowl quite a bit when I was a younger man. Really did enjoy it, threw one heck of a hook and had about a 172 average (not too shabby for a non-professional)

Thinking of getting back into it & joining a league just as a new hobby. Anybody else here bowl?

Also will need a new ball drilled & shoes etc.... What is anybody throwing that is any good?
Old 12-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1731774588
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material
Default Re: Bowling

Whatever is on the rack at the alley? depends on if I am throwing straight or a hook, straight I prefer a heavy ball, hook I prefer a lighter (12 or so) ball, also I try to find one not missing big chunks
Old 12-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Yeah, I understand Johnny. The game is actually a lot more fun for me when I actually have a ball drilled out like this.....

You insert your index & ring finger & thumb. Spaced out so that your palm is actually wrapped around the ball. This allows you to get lift & create a curve.

You then have to adjust speed to lift to weight of ball etc.... to hit the pocket correctly to get strikes. Makes it more of a game of skill & thus much more entertaining.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1731774588
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterFriendly View Post
Yeah, I understand Johnny. The game is actually a lot more fun for me when I actually have a ball drilled out like this.....

You insert your index & ring finger & thumb. Spaced out so that your palm is actually wrapped around the ball. This allows you to get lift & create a curve.

You then have to adjust speed to lift to weight of ball etc.... to hit the pocket correctly to get strikes. Makes it more of a game of skill & thus much more entertaining.
cool...I used to enjoy bowling, havent been in prob 12 years or so...it got to where I couldnt bowl more than a game or so and my wrist would start having sharp pains
Old 12-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
gamecocky17
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 340
gamecocky17 is learning to peckgamecocky17 is learning to peck

Just bought a Crazy Antics (Columbia 300). Had a Vivid (Storm) that did pretty well for a couple years but I didn't take good enough care of it and wore it out.

New ball is working pretty well, almost hooks too much but I'm starting to keep it under control.

As a rule, the Storm products seem to be pretty popular.
gamecocky17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecocky17 View Post
Just bought a Crazy Antics (Columbia 300). Had a Vivid (Storm) that did pretty well for a couple years but I didn't take good enough care of it and wore it out.

New ball is working pretty well, almost hooks too much but I'm starting to keep it under control.

As a rule, the Storm products seem to be pretty popular.
Sounds good. Do you like the Columbia? I was looking at a Brunswick Melee or possibly a hammer (used to have a hammer I liked quite a bit).
Old 12-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Used to love to bowl... I bowled in leagues and traveled to bigger events from the age of 8 till when I was about 20... Fun sport!
Old 12-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
Used to love to bowl... I bowled in leagues and traveled to bigger events from the age of 8 till when I was about 20... Fun sport!
Yeah, I figured since football season is over & I need to get out from under the TV that I would enjoy going into it again. Never played in a league but thought it would be a pretty cool thing to do & might even be good networking.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

This one gets great reviews.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
gamecocky17
Walk On

Male

So far, yeah. Been throwing it for a couple weeks and ranging between 210-250. Book average is about 195 from last year. Biggest issue is how soft and porous the cover stocks tend to be. Can tend to lead to chipping and it can be a pain to get the oil out of them every few weeks (depending on how much you throw)

Melee looks like it would have a good amount of back end snap
Old 12-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

Quote:
So far, yeah. Been throwing it for a couple weeks and ranging between 210-250. Book average is about 195 from last year. Biggest issue is how soft and porous the cover stocks tend to be. Can tend to lead to chipping and it can be a pain to get the oil out of them every few weeks (depending on how much you throw)

Melee looks like it would have a good amount of back end snap
I throw around 16-17 MPH with a 15-17 lb ball, so was thinking the late action to the pocket may make it a little more explosive.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
gamecocky17
Walk On

Male

It should, I dropped back to 15 lb a few years ago and haven't noticed a drop off. The C300 I just got hits like a beast.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

Quote:
It should, I dropped back to 15 lb a few years ago and haven't noticed a drop off. The C300 I just got hits like a beast.
Have you ever thrown a Roto Grip wrecker? Another ball moderately priced with great pocket hit. Considering this one too.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

Also, where did you get yours? I am thinking of going to AMF on Bush River to look around
Old 12-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
gamecocky17
Walk On

Male

The proshop at JC's had it on display there and was trying to unload it.

Haven't thrown that one specifically, had a couple guys throwing roto grips and liked them. AMF over there has a pretty good selection, Anchor usually does too when I've been in there.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:27 AM   #16
acejrock
Rockington

Male

CockyCash: 26999500
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

I throw this right now in my league.
It's the Storm IQ Tour Pearl. It replaced my Storm Reign.

acejrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:40 AM   #17
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

I never knew there were so many fancy bowling balls. Shows you how much I bowl. Both of my parents were on leagues when I was a kid and would drag me and my brothers to the bowling alley. I hated it!!! Probably why I don't bowl alot.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #18
MACXIMVS
mac'in aint easy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Avatar 
CockyCash: 12700
MACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot material

I stopped bowling in 2001 when I started my business , shot. 300 and hung it up
Went in July with my daughter for her birthday and bowled a 249 with my black ninja and my elbow is killing me still , I'm an old fart now I guess but love the sport

MACXIMVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #19
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

I ordered this one from bowlingball.com

It is a reactive resin Pro quality ball. Read many reviews of people who just absolutely love it (and they had it discounted by about 70% for the end of year sale)

It is a Pyramid Chosen Path
Old 01-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #20
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

I used to bowl a bit in my late teen years.

And then a training accident in Ft. Stewart smashed my right thumb which now has a screw inside. Ever since then, I've been unable to grip the ball properly.