CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
elcid99
sporkgod50
Acockolypse Now
spareparts
auslander
conwaycock2
M.C.
davisd9
75CarolinaFan
catdaddy66
My predictions for 2 (942)
An Aggies View of th (915)
Tennessee (582)
Mike Davis' HS Coach (502)
Elcid99 (428)
Question on Student (415)
Clowney in Practice (375)
SEC Recruiting Advan (369)
Erin Murray's brothe (351)
Camp scheduled relea (300)
Elcid99
Tennessee
Mike Davis' HS Coach on H
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
An Aggies View of the Mat
DirecTV
2015 Commitment - Davon D
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Question on Student Secti
Camp scheduled released

Old 12-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Maybe someone from Wisconsin can answer this

This doesn't really have to do with football.

This question has bothered me for years...can anyone tell me why that piece of Michigan jutting out from northern Wisconsin isn't apart of Wisconsin?

1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material
Default Re: Maybe someone from Wisconsin can answer this

I'll ask my boss when he gets in tomorrow. He's from Michigan (a Sparty).

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

That's where 'yoopers' live, don't ya know?! Yah, sure! You betcha!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
TomDace
Walk On

Male

TomDace has feathers coming inTomDace has feathers coming in

It goes back to the Toledo War. In a nutshell...the strip of land that borders Michigan in Northern Ohio was given to Ohio and in return Michigan got the UP (Upper Peninsula). The federal government thought that it was a "sterile region on the shores of Lake Superior destined by soil and climate to remain forever a wilderness." Soon after mineral deposits were discovered and the total amount of revenue from the UP of Michigan from those mines surpassed what California kicked out during the gold rush.

The part of the UP that sits directly above Wisconsin identifies closer with Wisconsin than it does Michigan. Tons of Packer fans up there. Once you get farther east the sports allegiances start to become more muddled. Tom Izzo and Steve Mariucci are both from the UP.

If you are intrigued by UP culture track down a copy of the movie "Escanaba In Da Moonlight." It's a movie about deer camp and might not translate that well outside of the upper midwest but for those who are from Northern Wisconsin, Minnesota, the UP, etc. it is one of the funniest movies ever made.
TomDace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDace View Post
It goes back to the Toledo War. In a nutshell...the strip of land that borders Michigan in Northern Ohio was given to Ohio and in return Michigan got the UP (Upper Peninsula). The federal government thought that it was a "sterile region on the shores of Lake Superior destined by soil and climate to remain forever a wilderness." Soon after mineral deposits were discovered and the total amount of revenue from the UP of Michigan from those mines surpassed what California kicked out during the gold rush.

The part of the UP that sits directly above Wisconsin identifies closer with Wisconsin than it does Michigan. Tons of Packer fans up there. Once you get farther east the sports allegiances start to become more muddled. Tom Izzo and Steve Mariucci are both from the UP.

If you are intrigued by UP culture track down a copy of the movie "Escanaba In Da Moonlight." It's a movie about deer camp and might not translate that well outside of the upper midwest but for those who are from Northern Wisconsin, Minnesota, the UP, etc. it is one of the funniest movies ever made.
Nice! The movie would probably play pretty well here as deer hunting is pretty much a right of passage, and your deer camp may be analogous to hunt clubs down here (I don't hunt, personally). My father talked of pheasant and bear hunting in SStM when we lived in Pontiac, MI.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
bryarx
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

I watched that movie a while back, and had no idea it was about the UP of Michigan, just watched it as a comedy about hunting. It wasn't the funniest thing I've ever seen, but I'm not asking for my 2 hours back or anything. I would think if you weren't a hunter you might though.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Is the UP part of the Cheesehead culture. I can't imagine how cold it is up there.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
StuckinTN
Durka Durka Durka

Male

CockyCash: 1000500
StuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPit

Watch How the States Got Their Shapes on the History Channel. They did a piece about this.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #9
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

There's always this little slice of weirdness as well:

Old 12-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #10
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

LOL that yuppie canadian territory.. lol idk honest. .been wondering this myself
Old 12-10-2013, 02:52 AM   #11
5lbYardcock
Blue Chip

Male

5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

Wisconsin were too much wussies to take it from Michigan.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
uesbc
Walk On

Male

uesbc has hatched from the shell

This is The Yooper's opus IMHO. "It's The Second Week of Deercamp'. Though "Gramma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" isn't horrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb9yhhflmvY
uesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
TomDace
Walk On

Male

TomDace has feathers coming inTomDace has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
I watched that movie a while back, and had no idea it was about the UP of Michigan, just watched it as a comedy about hunting. It wasn't the funniest thing I've ever seen, but I'm not asking for my 2 hours back or anything. I would think if you weren't a hunter you might though.
It's regional humor. If you are unfamiliar with the UP or northern Wisconsin it won't be as funny. In many ways it's not a comedy about hunting as much as it is a film about a unique regional subculture.

Even in Wisconsin there are quirky regional differences. The ties that bind are beer, Packers, beer, cheese, beer, sausage, beer, and beer. The southern part of the state is different than the northern part of the state. As a former governor once said; "Madison is 30 square miles surrounded by reality."

If you are going to the bowl game brace yourselves. You won't run into a fan base with the propensity to drink like Badger fans.

Lewis Black sums it up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m-cQin1qKE
TomDace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
Legalman72
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 19718410
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
There's always this little slice of weirdness as well:

This one, too. Done by a drunken Swede with an Etch-A-Sketch...

Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

I used to work with a guy from Wisconsin, great dude...awesome work ethic. Once he played a folk song for me, something about a shipwreck in one of the Great Lakes. I was really digging that song...but I've lost contact with him and I've never been able to find the song again.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
SudsMcBucky
Walk On

Male

SudsMcBucky has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lbYardcock View Post
Wisconsin were too much wussies to take it from Michigan.
Yeah, but not as bad as those wussies in Alabama who got shafted out of all that nice gulf coast shoreline by Florida! LOL.
SudsMcBucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

The UP, Upper Peninsula, hence Yoopers. No it is not made of cheese. They did tests.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #18
grannycock
Banned

Female

grannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock1983 View Post
I used to work with a guy from Wisconsin, great dude...awesome work ethic. Once he played a folk song for me, something about a shipwreck in one of the Great Lakes. I was really digging that song...but I've lost contact with him and I've never been able to find the song again.
Was it this?

grannycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannycock View Post
Was it this?

lol A guy from my office sngs this song all of the time.

Kenny Powers
cockfight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock1983 View Post
the Edmund Fitzgerald ???? Wow...beat me to it ^^^^^^^