CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Singaporecock
CoverTwo
sporkgod50
2000grad
usc1
ReadR00ster
Thenardier
rosstheboss
Cock Kool-Aid
Order 66
Kelcy and Vic questi (3605)
Group wants Clemson, (982)
I like how Frank sou (843)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal (638)
Hillsborough (394)
2015 - Chris Clark (386)
Sweet Corn!!! (271)
GTA V online (174)
Bamberg High School (157)
Its April 15th and i (140)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Larenz Bryant update?
A'ja Wilson
Hillsborough
Ahh...The Masters
2015 Commitment - Shameik
No.1 for 2016 has Gamecoc
2015 - Emanuel McGirt
Aggie Spring Depth Chart

Old 01-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #21
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material
Default Re: Name 3 Things.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I think its crap when you have a receiver down the field about to make a play and he gets mugged by the defender and the defender is only penalized for 15 yards. I mean shit, defensive coaches tell their corners to grab if they get whipped off the LOS. That isn't right.
But that is a different foul until the ball is in the air, then it becomes PI. If they were to tack on a flagrant/intentional foul, that would make it 30 yds, they might stop doing that. Of course, in HS, there is no automatic first down for PI anymore

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #22
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 95340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Rule 2013-ST-Dumz needs to be adopted.

If by week 3 a team is averaging less than 20 yards on a kickoff return and they DO NOT take a knee whenever the KR receives the ball in the endzone, then the Spec Team Coach needs to be fined $1000 for every infraction.

-Abo Swinney, April 17, 2013

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...-carolina-woes
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #23
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latt4Gov View Post
Great point.....

If a receiver has flat out beat his cover guy, and the ball is there and the defender makes a last ditch all out tackle on the guy, it should be a spot foul.

It's hard to intelligibly argue your point.
Loose ball fouls, any that come to mind, are not spot fouls.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #24
Latt4Gov
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
Latt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tag View Post
My changes would have more to do with players:

1. NFL Draft - Players should not have to wait three seasons to be eligible for the draft. If the NCAA is not going to pay players they should not be forced into a three year mandatory unpaid internship.

Also, every year players should be able to enter the NFL draft and if they go undrafted and still have eligibility should have the ability to return to school.

2. Transfers - Players should be able to transfer to any school outside of their current conference and be able to play the next year. If coaches can go wherever they want players should be able to do the same.

3. Year to Year Scholarships - I think these are absurd! The fact that a coach can sign a player to a one year deal, like this is the NFL, and then cut them is ridiculous.

I like number 2 and 3. With number 1 I agree and disagree.

To the average college student, college at a major university is massively expensive. Granted the big time players make a ton of money for each school. I think that either you should pay the players a flat determined rate of money and give them the option to get out after 1 or 2 years.

On the other hand, let's face it. Not all College Athletes are going to become doctors. I don't wanna sound salty or rude but, some of these guys are flat out dumb. Football is the only reason that they are in college. Everyone knows that whether they want to admit it or not.

I would rather force college athletes to fulfill their requirements of a full ride scholarship. Don't pay them anything since they are receiving free education housing and so on. But, force them to take Finance. Teach the kids how to manage money properly and really prepare them for the future. Paying a College Athlete makes them happy for 4 years. Giving an under privileged kid that would've never made it to college a 4 year education is irreplaceable. Maybe after four years they will have instilled in them the proper ground work to become successful men and women in life.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #25
Latt4Gov
Recruit

Male

Latt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his comb

To the mods, sorry.

I was sorta torn on which room to post in since it could relate specifically to Football.

My b y'all!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #26
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Only three? That's tough.

1. There are a lot of things I would like to say about penalties and reviews, but I'll make a huge blanket statement about it. Penalties should be reviewable and able to be enforced or overturned after the review. I'm thinking of things like blatant holding, targeting, and pass interference penalties.

2. Get rid of several of the bowls (not ALL of them) and have a real playoff system of about 16 teams. It's ridiculous that over 50% of the FBS schools get to participate in postseason games while only 64 basketball teams out of over 300 make it into their tournament. Keep some of the bigger, non-bcs bowls and let them be the reward for the teams who didn't earn spots in the playoff. It would be sort of like the NIT but without the tournament.

3. Make some of the rules the same as the NFL. It just seems stupid to have little differences like one or two feet down and having to be touched down by a defender or not. In these two cases I think college receivers should also have to get two feet down, but I also think a ball carrier shouldn't be down unless a defender downs the guy. Another one is change defensive pass interference to a spot foul. Yet another thing that should change is let the refs who are on the field do the reviews, not some guy in the press box.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #27
scfanz
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

1) An 8 team playoff system, based solely on the best 8 teams.
2) Eliminate the automatic penalty for targeting. If the replay shows no targeting, then the penalty should not be enforced.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #28
Latt4Gov
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
Only three? That's tough.

1. There are a lot of things I would like to say about penalties and the rules concerning them, but I'll make a huge blanket statement about it. Penalties should be reviewable and able to be enforced or overturned after the review. I'm thinking of things like blatant holding, targeting, and pass interference penalties.

2. Get rid of several of the bowls (not ALL of them) and have a real playoff system of about 16 teams. It's ridiculous that over 50% of the FBS schools get to participate in postseason games while only 64 basketball teams out of over 300 make it into their tournament. Keep some of the bigger, non-bcs bowls and let them be the reward for the teams who didn't earn spots in the playoff. It would be sort of like the NIT but without the tournament.

3. Make some of the rules the same as the NFL. It just seems stupid to have little differences like one or two feet down and having to be touched down by a defender or not. In these two cases I think college receivers should also have to get two feet down, but I also think a ball carrier shouldn't be down unless a defender downs the guy. Another one is change defensive pass interference to a spot foul.

What about also being able to challenge a "no call" ? Wasn't review brought to the game because no one is perfect?

I think it's crap time and time again for a blatant hold not to be called that results in a massive 3rd down conversion or something that proves to change the final outcome of the game.

Make it to 2 challenges per game. Anything goes. You win, keep your timeouts, you loose forfeit a timeout.

You challenge in the final 2 minutes of the each half and loose, 10 second runoff
Old 01-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #29
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latt4Gov View Post
What about also being able to challenge a "no call" ? Wasn't review brought to the game because no one is perfect?

I think it's crap time and time again for a blatant hold not to be called that results in a massive 3rd down conversion or something that proves to change the final outcome of the game.

Make it to 2 challenges per game. Anything goes. You win, keep your timeouts, you loose forfeit a timeout.

You challenge in the final 2 minutes of the each half and loose, 10 second runoff
Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. I just didn't think to put in the part about challenging a no call or bad call. I do like the fact every play in college is supposedly reviewed, so there SHOULDN'T be as much need to challenge, but I definitely agree with still being able to challenge one, especially if a team is trying to hurry up and get another play off because they know they just got away with something. I like your suggestion of how to handle the challenges, except I would make it so the coach keeps all the challenges won. If he wins a challenge, I don't think he should be penalized. But if he loses it, he loses the ability to challenge one time. If it happens again, no more challenges for him.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #30
markp_vip
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

1. Refs that don't suck.
2. Refs that don't suck.
3. Refs that don't suck.
And for the ain't never gonna happen.
Refs that don't suck.
Oh and ban all Orange and Purple Uniforms and any schools that have ever used said uniforms.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #31
markp_vip
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Loose ball fouls, any that come to mind, are not spot fouls.
Speaking of loose balls, I would like to see fumbles out of bounds go to the team that didn't touch the ball last. I mean, if you fumble the ball out of bounds why should you be rewarded by retaining possession? If you fumble out of the end zone you don't get a TD, it's a touchback. So why when you fumble out of bounds should you keep the ball?
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #32
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

This is a separate post, so I guess I could technically list 3 more things, but I won't. This isn't specific to college football for me, but that's what the thread is about, so here it is.

I hate when a penalty is an automatic first down even if the associated penalty yardage doesn't give the offense enough to move beyond the marker. I remember a couple of years ago where UGA was playing UT and had accumulated so many penalties and negative plays their offense was in something like 4th and 57. If UT had committed pass interference or defensive holding, UGA would have gotten an automatic first down. It didn't happen, but the potential for something like that is ridiculous, imo. That's why I actually do like the idea of defensive pass interference being a pure spot foul. Think about our game against CU this year. Roland made the incredible catch on a deep ball near the goal line (ultimately ruled incomplete) while the defender committed blatant PI. The penalty was called, and even though we did end up scoring on the drive, the defense had a miniature victory on that play since the most yards that could be marked off was 15.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #33
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
I think its crap when you have a receiver down the field about to make a play and he gets mugged by the defender and the defender is only penalized for 15 yards. I mean shit, defensive coaches tell their corners to grab if they get whipped off the LOS. That isn't right.
Yep. In the CU game, the defender for them that mugged Roland on the play that should have been ruled a completion committed the penalty 40 yards down the field. Roland DID catch it anyway (although it wasn't ruled that way). The defender's actions were the only thing that kept the catch from being routine, so why should he and his team be rewarded for breaking the rules?
Old 01-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #34
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
Speaking of loose balls, I would like to see fumbles out of bounds go to the team that didn't touch the ball last. I mean, if you fumble the ball out of bounds why should you be rewarded by retaining possession? If you fumble out of the end zone you don't get a TD, it's a touchback. So why when you fumble out of bounds should you keep the ball?
You would have to change the definition of possession for any of that to happen

Old 01-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #35
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
1. Refs that don't suck.
2. Refs that don't suck.
3. Refs that don't suck.
And for the ain't never gonna happen.
Refs that don't suck.
Oh and ban all Orange and Purple Uniforms and any schools that have ever used said uniforms.
how works you fix that problem?

Old 01-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #36
Thenardier
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 661
Thenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPit

Quote:
Pass Interference needs to be a spot foul.
Under 15 it is, but they need to make it where ever it occurs.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #37
GH

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tag View Post
My changes would have more to do with players:

1. NFL Draft - Players should not have to wait three seasons to be eligible for the draft. If the NCAA is not going to pay players they should not be forced into a three year mandatory unpaid internship.

That could really affect the quality of the college football games.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #38
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

1. 10 team playoff, keeping the BCS over it. Other than the Auburn snub a few years ago that is the only time the BCS didn't get it right.

2. End regular season neutral site games.

3. Remove some of bowls, too many bowls.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #39
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
You would have to change the definition of possession for any of that to happen
I don't like the idea he suggested, but I don't see why the definition of what possession is would have to change. He's saying things should be consistent. Why does a team retain possession if they fumble out of bounds but lose possession out of bounds but the out of bounds happens to be through the endzone? I agree it should be consistent. That stupid rule is what caused UT to lose to UGA, and because UT was only 3-3 when we lost to them, it made us fall more in the rankings than we might have if they had been 4-2 entering the game.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #40
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
GarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his comb

1. Remove targeting. If you wanna throw a flag, fine but when you review it and it's not don't award the offense 15 free yards!

2. Playoff needs to be 8. Top 4 conference champions based solely on SOS. (FSU would not be a top 4 seed if it were this year because their SOS is 63rd according to Jeff Sagarin of USA today. Baylor is slightly higher than them) Then 4 more lower seeds regardless of conference. No maximum from any 1 conference.

3. Some kind of monetary compensation for student athletes not being able to work to have money to buy things they need. Yes they bring in tons of money for their schools but they are still students and don't deserve any extra than normal students do just because they are more known.

4. My long shot. Have football's version of the NIT tournament. Pick the next 8 seeds and have their own playoff to see who is the best of the rest.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote