CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
TAFC 5 1981
gamecockgal
CoverTwo
B-G
El Cid Ranger
robgusc76
Gamecockfanatic4
Captain9Dragons
75CarolinaFan
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
SOS Dominating SEC M (707)
Jaguars Justin Black (680)
Kansas to invest $75 (620)
When does fall pract (620)
Spurrier vs Saban (489)
An Air Algerie Fligh (227)
Songs that Didn't ma (217)
Frank Caliendo + Mor (181)
Anyone Switching to (162)
2015 - Davante Davis
Minda Kacinas Q&A - G
Bonefish Grill
2015 - Ty'Son Williams
Spurrier vs Saban
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Kansas to invest $75 mill
Gamecock Showcase Attende
Places to eat in Conway?
Frank Caliendo + Morgan F

Old 11-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material
Default Our Defense

It is probably a small sample size (I will count the last three games) but I think the defense improved leaps and bounds from their play earlier this season.

Am I alone in thinking this?

It seems like the younger guys are finally coming around and will be alright. The upperclassmen are playing some of their best ball.

I hope what we saw the first few games this season was a combination of playing great offenses and also an adjustment period in losing Devin Taylor, DJ Swearinger, Byron Jerideaux, et al.

I don't want to speak to soon and I also realize that the secondary has still be burned bad a few times in these last three contests.

What I am seeing now that I did not see before are defenders close to receivers and in position to bat the balls down and fight for turnovers.

They almost look as good as they looked in fall and spring practices.

Or maybe I am imagining things...what say you?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material
Default Re: Our Defense

I fully agree, GH.

The freshman I've been the most impressed with on d has been Skai Moore. He reacted so quickly Saturday to intercept that tipped ball.

We are definitely making progress.

GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

My problem with this thinking is the defense hasn't really been "bad" all year. They definitely did have a bad game against UGA, and they've had some mental breakdowns late in games, but the stats are probably pretty similar. I only say probably because I haven't actually looked them up, but I remember Spurrier saying a few weeks ago how people can't be down on the defense too much because it was good statistically.

I believe the biggest difference is the way we're winning now vs the earlier part of the season. If the defense were to dominate most of a game then give up some big plays near the end of the game because of breakdowns that allow the other team to make the game closer, the perception is likely to be the defense is bad. If the defense gives up a couple of sustained drives early in the game (but no breakdowns or huge plays) the perception might be the defense made adjustments to correct problems, even if the final score in the two hypothetical situations ended up being the same.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
My problem with this thinking is the defense hasn't really been "bad" all year. They definitely did have a bad game against UGA, and they've had some mental breakdowns late in games, but the stats are probably pretty similar. I only say probably because I haven't actually looked them up, but I remember Spurrier saying a few weeks ago how people can't be down on the defense too much because it was good statistically.

I believe the biggest difference is the way we're winning now vs the earlier part of the season. If the defense were to dominate most of a game then give up some big plays near the end of the game because of breakdowns that allow the other team to make the game closer, the perception is likely to be the defense is bad. If the defense gives up a couple of sustained drives early in the game (but no breakdowns or huge plays) the perception might be the defense made adjustments to correct problems, even if the final score in the two hypothetical situations ended up being the same.
This is what gives me pause. Well that and commas.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Cockyteg
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cockyteg has hatched from the shell

they are getting better every week
Cockyteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

This bye week should be a shot in the arm for the team... errr the good kind that is.

hopefully we hold UF to less than 20, we do that and there is hope.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

SC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talons

Our defense has been stellar all year, if anything the problem has been our offense or our special teams putting our defense in awkward positions.
SC Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Those young linebackers that were a liability earlier are now up to speed they will be leaders on this defense by this time next year. Golightly has relearned how to finish tackles. That is huge. The secondary may get burned every once in a while, but whose's doesn't? The future looks bright for this defense. We'll have a brand new DL next year just about, but we'll have Surratt, and the Dixons, Dukes, Griffin, English, Harris, Johnson, Turner, and hopefully Washington if his head is going to be okay. Also, Jhaustin Thomas, if he gets in might be able to start right away.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tag View Post
Our defense has been stellar all year, if anything the problem has been our offense or our special teams putting our defense in awkward positions.
We have had too many piss poor 3 and out drives, and are not doing well on 3rd down still. That is a little worrisome.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
My problem with this thinking is the defense hasn't really been "bad" all year.
Some of it's the eye test....people can see with their naked eyes when players look lost, suck at tackling, or are getting pushed around out there.

They stats may be similar, but if the defense looks better then likely it is.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far, but the rest of your statement I agree with.

Maybe the bye week will get everyone on track and we win in style from here on out.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

They are getting better every week.

The only reason UT didn't blow us out was the defense, and they kept us in the Mizzou game until Shaw came out the phone booth with his Superman shirt on.

Against MSU their turnovers was the only thing that kept that game from getting tight.

Now...if our offense can somehow remember to play the way they did early in the season we'll be unstoppable.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #13
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

The lbs have improved but they are still blowing it sometimes.

Roberts not containing the edge in ot vs mizzou.

Diggs jumping off the ground on a playground pump fake last week.

Lewis was lost several times last week.

They are playing much better though. Skai for sure.

The other thing that has helped the defense is Chaz Elder. We were getting nothing at free safety until he took over.

Last edited by Regalcock; 11-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Regalcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
This bye week should be a shot in the arm for the team... errr the good kind that is.

hopefully we hold UF to less than 20, we do that and there is hope.
We do this and we win. Our lowest output so far this year was 21.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
They are getting better every week.

The only reason UT didn't blow us out was the defense, and they kept us in the Mizzou game until Shaw came out the phone booth with his Superman shirt on.

Against MSU their turnovers was the only thing that kept that game from getting tight.

Now...if our offense can somehow remember to play the way they did early in the season we'll be unstoppable.
We really could be. If that were to happen and the ST's played average with no costly mistakes, we can go head to head with anyone in the country. Oregon might be our worst match-up, but I'd love to find out in the NCG would the outcome would be.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
G&B
ferk it

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

I think the younger players are beginning to gel. That is resulting in them adapting cover schemes real time without blowing assignments.

"Relativity is relative" - V. Smith
G&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Quote:

The offense has had a few poorly timed turnovers but the D has performed poorly as such an inexperienced bunch SHOULD.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

The defense wasn't very good early in the year and it has steadily improved. The offense on the other hand, though good has stayed inconsistent, that has cost us.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

SC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
We do this and we win. Our lowest output so far this year was 21.
It will be interesting to see if that is the case Florida will be the best defense we have played by a mile.
SC Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #20
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
The only reason UT didn't blow us out was the defense......
The only reason we didn't blow UT out was their defense and our offense.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote