CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Gamecocks1137
Bed Sores
mpilot0705
Aggie96
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
spareparts
TheUniversityofSC
AtlGAMECOCK
Finbaum Jogs on USC (1587)
The Field (1503)
Spurrier winning at (1134)
I hope Coach Spurrie (1066)
One of the great thi (963)
Anyone watching pti (951)
Defensive Backfield (853)
GAME (823)
SDS/Garcia: Entertai (710)
Death in the family (702)
GAME
The Field
I hope Coach Spurrier get
Conflict with Aggies on t
Finbaum Jogs on USC campu
Elliott Fry
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Anyone watching pti
SDS/Garcia: Entertaining
Defensive Backfield

Old 07-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
lake-cityCOCK89
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit
Default Connor Shaw will be....

....the best quarterback sc has ever had. you can write that down now. statistically AND figuratively. just look at the things he had so say at media day. when is the last time we had a qb say those kinds of things? Im only 22 so i dont really remember a time.

When is the last time we had a REAL leader at qb? Phil Petty? Blake Mitchell came close and played hard, but he never really embraced that role.

Conner says all the right things, does all the right things and represents this university to best that he can.

He went 7-1 as a starter in his first year (excluding ECU) with the lone loss at #3 Arkansas.
.....not looking to go deep into the statistics here.

with his work ethic, attitude and ability i truley believe that he will be the best quarterback sc has ever had until this point. hopefully Thompson and the other quarterbacks can surpass shaw when he leaves. That would be great, because i think shaw will win an sec championship before he leaves columbia.

thoughts?

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Default Re: Connor Shaw will be....

Since you brought it up ... if we'd had Blake Mitchell with the line and receivers we had last year and the year before ... his numbers would have been WAY up there. Mitchell took a lot of heat for bad decision making, but I can't name 1 person that'd make good decisions while being hit every other play.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
lake-cityCOCK89
Two Deep

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Since you brought it up ... if we'd had Blake Mitchell with the line and receivers we had last year and the year before ... his numbers would have been WAY up there. Mitchell took a lot of heat for bad decision making, but I can't name 1 person that'd make good decisions while being hit every other play.

not going to disagree there. he was better than his numbers show. i was reffering to the leadership role more with him.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
carolinafan111

Male

CockyCash: 912910367
carolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot material

Connor is definitely from a good cut. He is responsible, smart, a quick learner, a listener, and most importantly all of these combined with intangibles makes him a fantastic leader for the program.

Not only that, he has developed into a very respectable passer with great mobility to stretch the D

33 games attended in a row (26-7 in that stretch)
carolinafan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I've watched every quarterback since Jeff Grantz. I think Conner will work his way into the top tier and do superb things. I wouldn't put Mitchell anywhere near Shaw, as an athlete or as a leader. All of the ifs and couldas don't mean a thing. Anybody with a good arm can work under no pressure. A top quarterback performs when others would fold. Mitchell did not.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Mitchell was more of a traditional Spurrier QB. Shaw is far more athletic than Mitchell and has more of the intangibles the coaches love. I think Connor could very well go down as one of the best (record, wins, stats etc..) but my concern, as it has been since he took over, is his durability.
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

Shaw will definitely be a great QB, but "the best quarterback sc has ever had?" That seems to be a little too far fetched RIGHT NOW. Is it possible? Hell yes it is.
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
Mitchell was more of a traditional Spurrier QB. Shaw is far more athletic than Mitchell and has more of the intangibles the coaches love. I think Connor could very well go down as one of the best (record, wins, stats etc..) but my concern, as it has been since he took over, is his durability.
Even before he took over.

Remember at Auburn a few years back?

Dylan Thompson better be ready.
Mt. Lattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
carolinafan111

Male

carolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
if he continues to slide like he did vs. Clemson, I like his chances a bit more.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

There's a lot of differences in the two, but I said it the time Shaw stepped
on Campus that this kid just gives me flashbacks of Jeff Grantz. I think he's
actually more athletic that Grantz on the football field, and I know he's
faster, but Grantz just had the "Wow" factor, and could make stuff happen
when nothing was there. Either with his arm or his legs. I do however see
Connor ending up at or near the top of our historical QBs stat wise, and
he has the potential before him to be the winningest QB ever. I hope that
happens simply because of the kind of man he is. Attitude wise, and just
a down to earth "yes sir, no sir" kind of guy, He most fits the mold of
Tommy Suggs. On field play though, he resembles Grantz. There's a quote
I made on the board when he was given the starting job against Kentucky.
I said "Now you will see this offense move, and you will see it live up to
it's potential" All Shaw needed was to be able to work through the mistakes
and the learning process and I had the strong feeling the guy was going
to develop into a very VERY good field general. ... Loved the quote from
his father the day before he played against UK. They asked him if
Connor was ready for this, and He said that Connor told him I've been ready
for this my whole life !

I'm very anxious to see what Noso looks like in a couple of weeks, and
what Connor Mitch looks like next spring. I just have a feeling those guys
are going to be in a knock down drag out battle for the Starting job when
Shaw is done, but for right now, I think Shaw has the makings of being
one of the finest we'll ever see wearing a Gamecock Jersey.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
carolinafan111

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
There's a lot of differences in the two, but I said it the time Shaw stepped
on Campus that this kid just gives me flashbacks of Jeff Grantz. I think he's
actually more athletic that Grantz on the football field, and I know he's
faster, but Grantz just had the "Wow" factor, and could make stuff happen
when nothing was there. Either with his arm or his legs. I do however see
Connor ending up at or near the top of our historical QBs stat wise, and
he has the potential before him to be the winningest QB ever. I hope that
happens simply because of the kind of man he is. Attitude wise, and just
a down to earth "yes sir, no sir" kind of guy, He most fits the mold of
Tommy Suggs. On field play though, he resembles Grantz. There's a quote
I made on the board when he was given the starting job against Auburn.
I said "Now you will see this offense move, and you will see it live up to
it's potential" All Shaw needed was to be able to work through the mistakes
and the learning process and I had the strong feeling the guy was going
to develop into a very VERY good field general. ... Loved the quote from
his father the day before he played against Auburn. They asked him if
Connor was ready for this, and He said that Connor told him I've been ready
for this my whole life !

I'm very anxious to see what Noso looks like in a couple of weeks, and
what Connor Mitch looks like next spring. I just have a feeling those guys
are going to be in a knock down drag out battle for the Starting job when
Shaw is done, but for right now, I think we have the makings of one of
one of the finest well see wearing a Gamecock Jersey.
do you mean Kentucky? I know Shaw played in the 4th quarter against Auburn in 2010, but SOS rode Garcia out all the way this past year against Auburn.

nevermind I see that you fixed it

Old 07-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1000000000
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Shaw has the POTENTIAL........ but he has to live up to it, embrace it, and earn his spot on the All-Time list........

I will say from a Defensive Coord perspective, his ability to run AND throw, and do both well...... would make my stomach churn!
Old 07-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Mitchell had pinpoint accuracy and he could eat up man to man coverage. He had difficulty reading zones. The latter deficiency frustrated Spurrier and led to Mitchell's frequent demotions.

Shaw, oth, has shown potential to be able to be both accurate and to read a zone. Shaw still needs to work on checking down receivers, but there was improvement in that area as the 2011 season progressed. Very encouraging.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
Even before he took over.

Remember at Auburn a few years back?

Dylan Thompson better be ready.
He was never injured vs auburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinafan111 View Post
if he continues to slide like he did vs. Clemson, I like his chances a bit more.

Oh I agree..his field awareness is getting better as the game slows down for him...but we've seen twice (both vs ark) he's one hit away from going out
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

I absolutely believe that Connor Shaw will become the greatest Gamecock quarterback ever by the time he graduates, and I think it will be clear-cut by then, even to old school Jeff Grantz or Steve Tanneyhill fans. I anticipate two HUGE years from Connor, as he leads us to unprecedented heights and at least one SEC title. He finished last season in hard-core beast mode, as we all know...given his work ethic, his leadership skills, his top-flight athleticism, his accuracy, his sneaky strong arm (stronger than most people realize), his palpably intense and burning drive to improve and to achieve greatness...I think any doubters are going to be flat-out stunned by what he accomplishes moving forward.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #16
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Since you brought it up ... if we'd had Blake Mitchell with the line and receivers we had last year and the year before ... his numbers would have been WAY up there.
'10 yes, '11..we'd have lost more games...our OL problems mid-season last year would have not gone well for Blake. Connor managed that as well as anyone could have.
There were stretches last year where as soon as Connor got the ball someone was on him.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #17
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
I absolutely believe that Connor Shaw will become the greatest Gamecock quarterback ever by the time he graduates, and I think it will be clear-cut by then, even to old school Jeff Grantz or Steve Tanneyhill fans. I anticipate two HUGE years from Connor, as he leads us to unprecedented heights and at least one SEC title. He finished last season in hard-core beast mode, as we all know...given his work ethic, his leadership skills, his top-flight athleticism, his accuracy, his sneaky strong arm (stronger than most people realize), his palpably intense and burning drive to improve and to achieve greatness...I think any doubters are going to be flat-out stunned by what he accomplishes moving forward.
If he can lead the GAmecocks to an SEC title, that is a pretty good argument even against Grantz.

However, he would still need to lay a butt-whoopin on Clemson such as Grantz did in 1975.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Looong way to go.
PageUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material

I'm excited about Shawtomatic. Guy can ball
Old 07-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #20
The Unit
I love kids!

Male

The Unit is crowing loudlyThe Unit is crowing loudlyThe Unit is crowing loudlyThe Unit is crowing loudlyThe Unit is crowing loudlyThe Unit is crowing loudlyThe Unit is crowing loudlyThe Unit is crowing loudlyThe Unit is crowing loudlyThe Unit is crowing loudlyThe Unit is crowing loudly

It's great that we have Shaw playing this well. His play against Clemson and Nebraska were even an improvement over his other starts. I hope the Clemson/Nebraska Shaw is what we see all season and not the anomaly. Also, we are getting some serious depth at QB (in addition to RB). That's great and hopefully we can get some more depth on our lines.
The Unit is offline   Reply With Quote