CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
COCKYTALKIN
Acockolypse Now
sporkgod50
Rooster'srule
b381l
thekob
StormOfTalons
Lonnie
75CarolinaFan
Elcid99 (2240)
PSU drops a prospect (1201)
Bad movies that are (662)
John Abraham DUI (534)
Mizzou WR suspended (519)
Best Offensive " (350)
Rokevious Watkins cu (315)
Re-Airing South Caro (261)
Travelle Warton reti (257)
I was there, when (222)
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Destiny Beta
The Believer
An Aggies View of the Mat
Green and Lammons
PSU drops a prospect beca
EVE Online
The Believer - Spurrier D
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit
Elcid99

Old 01-05-2014, 12:55 AM   #21
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Willing to play certain FCS schools?

I can't answer this question until after the final four committee explains their process and weighting factors so I can determine what direction I want to go.

In all probability, there won't be much scheduling of non D-1 teams anymore. Creating a weak schedule will most likely work against you.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:55 AM   #22
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I think it would be cool if schools scheduled one exhibition game against a FCS school in early August to act as a preseason fan fest day.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:29 AM   #23
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Just keep playing the FCS teams in our own state.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #24
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

We should not be playing any FCS teams now. With the selection committee for the 4 team play off starting next season, strength of schedule will be critical. We have to play all FBS teams from now on.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #25
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
We should not be playing any FCS teams now. With the selection committee for the 4 team play off starting next season, strength of schedule will be critical. We have to play all FBS teams from now on.
This - Never did see the point in playing teams ike Wofford, Furman, Citadel etc. Even if they are in state and 'helps' them out.

Now with the playoff it makes even less sense.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #26
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
This - Never did see the point in playing teams ike Wofford, Furman, Citadel etc. Even if they are in state and 'helps' them out. Now with the playoff it makes even less sense.
But it now cuts the 1-AA schools out of their 1-A games which is a big boost to their budgets. I could see some 1-AA schools dropping FB.

There needs to be a way that games v. FCS schools does not count in the SOS ratings.

As far as playing in Fargo....just not sure our guys would enjoy this all things considered. What incentive is there for them to go do this? And if they win, they've just beat a team they should beat.
NDS needs to come to W-B.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #27
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I'm watching North Dakota State play Towson, and it got me wondering something. NDS has a history of beating some FBS teams. How willing would you guys be to schedule NDS? I'm guessing most of you would be more than willing to put them on the schedule one year. But how about playing them in Fargo? Is the thought scary, or do you feel confident we would win the game regardless of venue?
We played Central Florida, in Orlando, this year. I think we've been fair playing East Carolina at neutral locations, and I think we're supposed to play them in Greenville, NC, one year. I don't think, in principle, we have a problem playing FCS schools, BUT...

...I think since Spurrier got here, we're trying to help the in-state schools, by playing them. It wouldn't help us to play 2 FCS schools. In fact, with the playoff system, everyone may have to stop playing FCS schools altogether.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #28
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

The top FCS schools play good ball. FWIW, I think NDS loses something like 27seniors this year.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #29
scfanz
Starter

Male

scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by scheduling ND State.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #30
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

No FCS anytime anywhere.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #31
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

This thread is a perfect example of people shooting from the hip and posting without even reading what the OP wrote. Just going off of what the title of the thread says, reading others posts and then adding their personal opinions.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #32
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
This thread is a perfect example of people shooting from the hip and posting without even reading what the OP wrote. Just going off of what the title of the thread says, reading others posts and then adding their personal opinions.
Correct. Very few have actually grasped the purpose of the thread and the question.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #33
Legalman72
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 19718410
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

No way we should ever play schools from Montana, Delaware or Puerto Rico! If they're not in the 49 states, we don't want 'em!
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #34
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Correct. Very few have actually grasped the purpose of the thread and the question.
You mean this?
Quote:
But how about playing them in Fargo? Is the thought scary, or do you feel confident we would win the game regardless of venue?
Ok...I'll bite...no I don't have confidence in winning a game like that because I don't know how much any team can get up for something like that. So I expect to go up there and lose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

How confident would you feel that USC would win if they traveled to play Eastern Washington University and played on some red turf?

Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote