CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
B-G
GregoryHouse
JerseyBird
JaxcockFL
doubledribble
usc1
Regalcock
The Yancey
SMOTFS86
Gamecocks1137
2014 Subway Classic: (1859)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1194)
Former Gamecock root (1192)
Franks boy's are pla (863)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Four USC Basketball (660)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (483)
Bowl packages (412)
Kentucky is dominati (408)
Chance of my lifetim (345)
Kentucky is dominating UC
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Question for those who ha
Franks boy's are playing
How Long Will The Rebuild
Decommitment from Texas A
2015 Commitment - Zack Ba
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant

Old 02-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material
Default The Fuel of Carolina/Clemson

Anyone else notice that at least once per generation (or even every few years if you have a great memory), something big happens that makes the rivalry burn white hot all over again after a few years of normal "I just hate that school" venom that comes from any two teams that are so close together and play each other yearly.

I am talking about 63-17, the Fight, The Push off, the Warm Up, Fat Brad Turns, etc. There are hundreds of other examples

I guess it is the same with other rivalries...that is part of what makes them rivalries.

I thought about this tonight as we sit less than a day from another event that could fan the flames anew....

I can't even talk about it by name...

Now, let me be clear that I have no insider information or anything of the sort....
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
DCGamecock5
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 126000149
DCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Fuel of Carolina/Clemson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
Anyone else notice that at least once per generation (or even every few years if you have a great memory), something big happens that makes the rivalry burn white hot all over again after a few years of normal "I just hate that school" venom that comes from any two teams that are so close together and play each other yearly.

I am talking about 63-17, the Fight, The Push off, the Warm Up, Fat Brad Turns, etc. There are hundreds of other examples

I guess it is the same with other rivalries...that is part of what makes them rivalries.

I thought about this tonight as we sit less than a day from another event that could fan the flames anew....

Now, let me be clear that I have no insider information or anything of the sort....
Its over.

Might as well start celebrating. I just hope we can continue to have more instances that fuel the rivalry and make us look good.
DCGamecock5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGamecock5 View Post
Its over.

Might as well start celebrating. I just hope we can continue to have more instances that fuel the rivalry and make us look good.

yes sir
Old 02-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
SC_boy
Well Engineered Cock

Male

CockyCash: 500
SC_boy is developing his combSC_boy is developing his combSC_boy is developing his combSC_boy is developing his combSC_boy is developing his combSC_boy is developing his combSC_boy is developing his combSC_boy is developing his combSC_boy is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post

Well for me it burns white hot all the time, but I know what you're saying.
SC_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_boy View Post
Well for me it burns white hot all the time, but I know what you're saying.

Yep...and each generation can tell you that not only were they born and raised Gamecock or Tiger....they each have specific events they can recall in their youths or throughout their years following their team that were just extra venomous and ill-will gathering...dammit I need a new thesaurus...
Old 02-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 939000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

The only reason I'm commenting on this is because I respect you GH ! My thoughts on Clemson football, as well as North Carolina basketball, mimic each other. White hot is correct ! At 50, my age takes me back a few years on all this stuff. I must say, that it is bittersweet ! Almost like pulling against Dale Sr. ! Without the boys from the UpState, our history would not be as colorful ! If we were to lose that kind of rivalry, my heart would be sad, just like it was that day in Daytona when we lost racing ! I cannot even begin to remotely wrap my mind around the complete disaster of which you allude to. Great post bud, Thanks from the Warlord !
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
The only reason I'm commenting on this is because I respect you GH ! My thoughts on Clemson football, as well as North Carolina basketball, mimic each other. White hot is correct ! At 50, my age takes me back a few years on all this stuff. I must say, that it is bittersweet ! Almost like pulling against Dale Sr. ! Without the boys from the UpState, our history would not be as colorful ! If we were to lose that kind of rivalry, my heart would be sad, just like it was that day in Daytona when we lost racing ! I cannot even begin to remotely wrap my mind around the complete disaster of which you allude to. Great post bud, Thanks from the Warlord !

High stakes = this rivalry

so much invested in garnet&black/orange&purple....each victory or defeat is epic

I know what you mean about the colorfulness and the need for the rivalry - even with the tough times....
Old 02-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
USCFANfromNC
Recruit

Male

USCFANfromNC is sharpening his clawsUSCFANfromNC is sharpening his clawsUSCFANfromNC is sharpening his clawsUSCFANfromNC is sharpening his clawsUSCFANfromNC is sharpening his claws

Have to say, I Love Clemson! That is, LOVE TO BEAT THEM! I have a number of good friends who are Clemson diehards. The rivalry is great because it makes arguing athletics fun. I don't see the need for HATRED in the sense that it upsets me or interferes with my friendships. It is, after all just a game.
USCFANfromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
gamecockphilip
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1450
gamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPitgamecockphilip rules the CockPit

i don't hate clemson as much as i hate some of the other SEC schools
gamecockphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

"The Warm Up"?
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #11
Gizamecock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 750
Gizamecock is learning to peckGizamecock is learning to peck

I think it will burn "white hot" for a few weeks, maybe a few months. I just don't think landing a recruit causes two schools to fight for years. Remember when Pryor was deciding between Michigan and Ohio State? TP turned out to be nothing overly special. I'm not saying JC won't be special but, come September, I think all the hoopla surrounding this particular recruit will have diminished and the season itself will be the focus of both schools' attention.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:46 AM   #12
Sweet Pea
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Sweet Pea rules the CockPitSweet Pea rules the CockPitSweet Pea rules the CockPitSweet Pea rules the CockPitSweet Pea rules the CockPitSweet Pea rules the CockPitSweet Pea rules the CockPitSweet Pea rules the CockPitSweet Pea rules the CockPitSweet Pea rules the CockPitSweet Pea rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
"The Warm Up"?

I believe he is referring to when some USC frat boys dressed up in clemson football uniforms and took the field for warm-ups acting like baffons.

For my time as a Gamecock, these last few years of the rivalry are the best I can remember. Doo Doo is a Gamecock and our domination over those idiots will continue.
Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 AM   #13
ElectricCock
Fear The Thumb, Clemson

Male

CockyCash: 200516
ElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
"The Warm Up"?
In the 1960s, before the clemson game in cola, a USC fraternity borrowed a local high schools uniforms that closely resembled clemsons and took the field to warm up. They fooled everyone and even the band played tiger rag. But then they started milking each other and doing goofy looking exercises and even simulated more adult situations and the whole stadium laughed at the fake clemson team (thinking they were real)

Clemson fans ran onto the field and fighting broke out
ElectricCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:46 AM   #14
IHateOrange
I really hate clemson

Male

CockyCash: 490
IHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to IHateOrange

here is some fuel to the fire. we kicked their butt then i sat on their rock.
Attached Images

TATER HATER 4 LIFE!

Memo to Lane Kiffin: Seven Gamecocks were selected in the 2009 NFL Draft, delaying any possible careers at the gas station.
IHateOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:52 AM   #15
mater
Class of '02

Male

CockyCash: 100380
mater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot material

Am I the only one that hates Georgia far more than I could ever hate Clemson?

"When a suitcase just won't do."
mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #16
gamecockgregg
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1700
gamecockgregg is crowing loudlygamecockgregg is crowing loudlygamecockgregg is crowing loudlygamecockgregg is crowing loudlygamecockgregg is crowing loudlygamecockgregg is crowing loudlygamecockgregg is crowing loudlygamecockgregg is crowing loudlygamecockgregg is crowing loudlygamecockgregg is crowing loudlygamecockgregg is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mater View Post
Am I the only one that hates Georgia far more than I could ever hate Clemson?
Possibly yes...
Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
pimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPit

I will mention you only said anything about football...remember these are 2 huge baseball schools also... and I don't think anyone of us will forget the past 2 "Carolina faces elimination which would allow Clemson into the national title game". Both times we had to win 2 to survive... both times we did and went to the National Championship. Once... we won it. I would say that adds some fuel...
pimpingamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #18
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1007834
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Like it or not, klimpsun represents the rural, redneck part of the state while Carolina represents the forward thinking "cosmopolitan" people in the state. The rivalry between the schools is as much of a cultural clash as anything else.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #19
gococks2014
Banned

Male

gococks2014 has feathers coming ingococks2014 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
Like it or not, klimpsun represents the rural, redneck part of the state while Carolina represents the forward thinking "cosmopolitan" people in the state. The rivalry between the schools is as much of a cultural clash as anything else.
this is about 90% accurate and i wanted to elaborate on this because i have been saying this for awhile. both schools have their shares of redneck and forward moving people but carolina seems to be more liberal minded than clemson. the majority of carolina students major in business or are on the pre-law/med/pharm/whatever track. majority of clemson students major in engineering or agriculture. back when the schools started carolina was where the sons of the wealthy went clemson is where the sons of farmers went. unlike most rivalries this rivalry was originally fueled by way more than just geographical ties but it was fueled politically as well.
gococks2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #20
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpingamecock View Post
I will mention you only said anything about football...remember these are 2 huge baseball schools also... and I don't think anyone of us will forget the past 2 "Carolina faces elimination which would allow Clemson into the national title game". Both times we had to win 2 to survive... both times we did and went to the National Championship. Once... we won it. I would say that adds some fuel...

Clemson and Carolina could play beer pong and draw 15000

I wanted to focus more on football as it is the biggest and longest standing frying pan....argh I butchered yet another metaphor