CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
ConwayGamecock
Cocks N Stuff
Sandstorm29
Cockypantherfan
Gamecocks1137
cockybreeyan
Lonnie
CoverTwo
Travelin
Wilds & Carson B (1488)
Marquavius Lewis (1316)
How Long Will The Re (833)
So, why is next year (689)
Restaurant musts in (632)
S & F article on (390)
Brad Lawing USC / Fl (304)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (281)
Spurrier Says " (226)
'Lord of the Rings: (146)
Custom Jersey
Why do so many of you guy
2015 - Mark Fields
So, why is next year goin
Marquavius Lewis
**USC Women vs. Hampton G
2015 Commitment - Dexter
The Vent and Coaching cha
Restaurant musts in NYC
Wilds & Carson Back f

Old 12-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Wrec86 Ag
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Wrec86 Ag has hatched from the shell
Default Aggie here, visiting Columbia next week

Howdy,

My name is Ryan and I will be visiting Columbia next week for work.

I will be staying off Gervais near campus and I was wondering what the best food options might be in the area? A quick search led me straight to Pawley's, which looks like a good place to get a burger. I'll be in town 3 days though, so any other good recommendations within walking distance from campus would be helpful. I won't have a car, is it easy to get a taxi around town or do I need to call to set it up?

Also, I'm a bit of a runner. Are they any running trails in the area that would be good to get a couple of miles in?

Anything else in town that I have to do before I leave?

Thanks guys,
Ryan
Texas A&M class of '09
Wrec86 Ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Aggie here, visiting Columbia next week

Yesterdays. It's right down the road from Pawley's
Old 12-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
riceatusc
Misses Old Cockytalk

Male

CockyCash: 305013227
riceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to riceatusc Send a message via MSN to riceatusc

Riverwalk is pretty good for running http://scgreatoutdoors.com/park-west...riverwalk.html
Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 818
Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly

Check out the river walk across the gervais bridge on alexander road to run, I think its 2 miles long..You should also check out Liberty's tavern.. It is in the vista across from a Starbucks
Cockdiesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

I'm an Auburn fan, but was in Columbia this year, Sandy's, on Main Street, is pretty good for a hot dog, they have some interesting slaw.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Hunter Gatherer is a brewery on Main St close to campus. They have good food and beer. My personal favorite restaurant in Columbia is Cantina 76, and they just opened a new one on Main St too.

Usually your best bet is call and set up a cab during the day. In the more populated bar areas at night (Vista and Five Points) you can usually walk up to one or flag one down.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

CockyCash: 1000000500
Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

I'll let someone else chime in on food options - nothing incredibly special, but some pretty decent spots close to where you'll be staying.

As for runs - one of my favorites use to be zigging and zagging around the campus with lots of loops around The Horseshoe (old/main part of campus) thrown in. I've been to College Station - you'll be pleased how much better it looks ;)

Also, try the trails along either side of the Congaree River, accessible just down Gervais. The sections on the far bank are linked better. My single favorite running spot in the area is Susquicentennial Park - but that's a decent cab ride away.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

I was also going to recommend running on campus. Follow the signs to the Horseshoe. The Riverwalk is great but it's a couple miles from where you appear to be staying.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Just walk through the Vista if you are looking for some good food. The Blue Marlin, Motor Supply, and the Oyster Bar are good spots to hit up.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

rrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talons

Fine dining in the downtown area...Columbias, Motor Supply Company or Blue Marlin in the vista, Saludas or Garibaldis in Five Pts and California Dreaming on campus
Casual dining...Pawleys, Salty Nut, Harpers or Yesterdays in Five Points and Carolina Ale House, Wild Wings or Liberty Tap Room in the Vista
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Plenty of food options in the Vista off Gervais to keep you satisfied for 3 days.

Waterfront park and the river walk for running is in the same area as well.

Class of 09, the Vista is a good area for you to hang around.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Tio's Mexican is on Sumter near Pendleton and right across from the Horseshoe. Mellow Mushroom has good beer and pizza on Gervais in the Vista. A surprisingly good ramen noodle joint in same area of Gervais is the Mankoi... very tasty and good lunch prices.

California Dreaming has great steaks and seafood and the best salad with a croissant in the state!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #13
slc76
Walk On

Male

slc76 is sharpening his clawsslc76 is sharpening his clawsslc76 is sharpening his clawsslc76 is sharpening his clawsslc76 is sharpening his claws

Good post from everybody about the running trails...
Just make sure the river walk is open. Had tons of rain and they're
Closed at the moment with lots of clean up coming. Hope you
Enjoy what Columbia has to offer and come back when you can.
slc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

As KT mentioned Hunter and Gatherer is a microbrewery and they actually have some really good food. For burgers, I would give Burger Tavern 77 a try over Pawley's. Tons of people like Pawley's but it was never my thing. Garden Bistro is a good lunch place with salads, wraps, and sandwiches off of Assembly St.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
TwoNotch Dreams
Blue Chip

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

If you're in the mood for Chinese, there's a buffet Blossom St. across from the baseball stadium that has good food for a good price.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Also, do not try any Mexican / Spanish food in Columbia... it is flat out gross. Stick with what you know... El Tiempo, El Rey, Ninfas, etc.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
Sir Cuss
Two Deep

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

Yesterday's is horrible; the last two times I went there, the mashed potatoes had balls of potato skin in them (rock hard) and cold meatloaf. In 5 points, go to harpers or down Devine away from campus for better restaurants. On south Pickens, a place called dipratos is delicious.

Village idiot in 5 points has some of the best pizza I've had.

Sir Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
If you're in the mood for Chinese, there's a buffet Blossom St. across from the baseball stadium that has good food for a good price.
The Millenium!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
This place was a strip club turned cheap Chinese buffet... buyer beware.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
Wrec86 Ag
Walk On

Male

Wrec86 Ag has hatched from the shell

Thank you guys for all the replies. I'll keep a list on me of all the food recommendations as I'm walking around town.

I'll check out the Riverwalk and see if it's in good condition to run, otherwise running through campus could be fun for me.

Looking forward to playing you guys next year. Tough challenge for us breaking in a new QB on the road against a top 10-15 (wherever you guys start the year) team in the SEC.

I'm hoping to make a roadtrip to every SEC school in the long run. This will be a nice "test run" to get the lay of the land.

Thanks for all of your help, and I'll try to stick around and be a "resident Aggie" on the board.
Wrec86 Ag is offline   Reply With Quote