CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
gamecockgal
b381l
Order 66
garnet_black215
DTGCOCKS#32
Pw00132
Ahmad
wumarshall82
JerseyBird
Thoughts on Shawn El (1689)
10-2 (1679)
UK promoting a black (1576)
Four UK Players Susp (1047)
Coach Gaines: " (991)
Time for a new coach (954)
I Was Dealing With T (767)
Build a New Stadium (663)
Connor Shaw's fault. (662)
Since everyone loves (513)
400 pasing yards
Four UK Players Suspended
UK promoting a blackout f
2015 Commitment - Jaire A
Build a New Stadium
Coach Gaines: "Not m
Maty Mauk tries to take o
Funny?
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Connor Mitch

Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #21
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Carolina football coaching future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
But, for the sake of the OP and the argument, lets hypothetically say Dabo Swinney meets Spurrier on the golf course, bad mouths him, and Spurrier says "You know what Dabo, its time someone taught you a lesson" and Spurrier grabs him, slams him, and puts on a UFC style beat down....and gets arrested hahaha!!! And then we need a new coach. What then......who do we hire if that happened tomorrow haha?
A new coach? I'd want to pay for his lawyer and get him back on the sidelines ASAP. Maybe buy him a beer too.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #22
mpilot0705
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 498700
mpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to mpilot0705

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerandBacon View Post
Dantonio.

Solid Coach and a Carolina alum\ex player.
I would have liked this hire a few years ago, but not now. He's only around 10 years younger than Spurrier. Assuming he sticks around 4-5 more years (to beat the Bear's record) Dantonio would be into his 60's. That to me would mean he'd only give us 6-8 years at most. Look at what it has taken Spurrier 9 years to get done here. I know the next coach will start out much better but still it will take a couple of years to get the right kids in if there is much of a scheme change which means we would only get 3-5 years of good coaching from him. I would like to see us make a homerun hire like Texas did with Strong. A guy with a good pedigree, proven winner, but young enough to lead you through the next 10 years or so.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #23
GarnetSwarm1990
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

A guy I'm going to be FOLLOWING is Matt Wells. Utah States head coach. First year there he goes 9-5. He's relatively young as far as coaches go at 40 years old. He's from Columbia too. Not saying I want him but seeing as how it will be a while before Spurrier hangs it up (hopefully with a couple SEC championships and a National title too with any luck lol) it can't hurt to pay attention. I would think that the Athletic department is keeping notes at least on future prospects.

Personally I would love to get a coach that has proven he can be a head coach but can also spend 10-15 years here (which is very rare in today's age unless you're successful).

I'm not a fan of Stoops. He can recruit yes but he hasn't proven to me that he can win consistently against the big, physical teams. Maybe he just turned a corner with the win over Bama. It would have to take him going to a NFL team for him to come here because I can't see him leaving Oklahoma for us. He seems to have issues with the SEC anyway, maybe it's jealousy because he wants to coach in the league. It would be a good get though, I can agree with that.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #24
GarnetSwarm1990
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpilot0705 View Post
I would have liked this hire a few years ago, but not now. He's only around 10 years younger than Spurrier. Assuming he sticks around 4-5 more years (to beat the Bear's record) Dantonio would be into his 60's. That to me would mean he'd only give us 6-8 years at most. Look at what it has taken Spurrier 9 years to get done here. I know the next coach will start out much better but still it will take a couple of years to get the right kids in if there is much of a scheme change which means we would only get 3-5 years of good coaching from him. I would like to see us make a homerun hire like Texas did with Strong. A guy with a good pedigree, proven winner, but young enough to lead you through the next 10 years or so.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #25
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerLarry View Post
I just call it "being reasonable". I watch football to have fun. I don't think I would have fun watching a sucky team.
You can call it yellow submarine for all I care, a spade is a spade, and you're a fairweather fan.

At least you're straight-up about it, though.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #26
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 540
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

I owe too much to them in student loans to pull for anyone else.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #27
LawyerLarry
Recruit

Male

LawyerLarry has feathers coming inLawyerLarry has feathers coming in

Quote:
Sounds like something a lawyer would say. Parasite-like jumping from one host to another.
I'm sorry that you're offended by my football watching habits. I've openly stated that I did the same thing with Florida. I quit watching them after they sucked for 3 years. Then they won 2 national championships a year or 2 after I started following South Carolina. Your hurt feelings notwithstanding, I think I'm still going to continue to watch football my way. I've had fun doing it for about 15 years.
LawyerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #28
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

I would expect Dantonio, Stoops and Gruden to be strong contenders.

Beyond that, I just think it needs to be someone of stature that has some mileage left in the tank.

Let's don't overlook how appealing it is to have a state that produces top talent year after year and you only have one major in-state recruiting rival.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #29
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000692
Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

I personally hope Strong has a tough time at Texas and we get a steal if they fire him right when Spurrier decides to retire.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #30
usc81
Walk On

Male

usc81 is sharpening his clawsusc81 is sharpening his clawsusc81 is sharpening his clawsusc81 is sharpening his clawsusc81 is sharpening his claws

Even discussing a replacement of Spurrier smacks of heresy, and we should never do it. It is like discussing a replacement of oxygen, or BBQ or the sun. Yes it is possible, and it will happen one day - but please let it happen after I die.
usc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #31
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
I just call it "being reasonable". I watch football to have fun. I don't think I would have fun watching a sucky team.
You're doing it wrong.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #32
Mechanical Cock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Mechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudly

Dantonio
Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #33
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Another day, another troll. Don't feed it and it will go away.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #34
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 View Post
I personally hope Strong has a tough time at Texas and we get a steal if they fire him right when Spurrier decides to retire.

No thanks. If he can't win at Texas he sure as hell won't win here.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #35
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

GSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
I'm sorry that you're offended by my football watching habits. I've openly stated that I did the same thing with Florida. I quit watching them after they sucked for 3 years. Then they won 2 national championships a year or 2 after I started following South Carolina. Your hurt feelings notwithstanding, I think I'm still going to continue to watch football my way. I've had fun doing it for about 15 years.
Im not offended. Just solidifies my opinion on how the minds of most lawyers work. Its the football-fan equivalent of chasing an ambulance.

But, we'll enjoy your time here, until the day you start being a Missouri or Ohio State fan or something.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #36
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

GSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc81 View Post
Even discussing a replacement of Spurrier smacks of heresy, and we should never do it. It is like discussing a replacement of oxygen, or BBQ or the sun. Yes it is possible, and it will happen one day - but please let it happen after I die.

OK, fair enough.

So guys, a legit question. Who you got in a fight: Spurrier or a Hurricane?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #37
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Even though I am NOT a SC fan (not a hater either), there are many on this board that suffered through years of tough times to enjoy the last three years. Add that to the success of the baseball program; the SC Athletic Dept. stepped its game up. I am a Clemson fan in spite of some on taternet and I am still a Gator too fan (and that train is still off the track). I personally think SC will be a good team for a while, with or without fans like you.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #38
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

How can you tell your program is reaching new heights?

When you start getting "fans" like LawyerLarry, who, like an ambulance chasing lawyer, says "Im a fan of you...for now, until I can't get anything else out of it".
Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #39
Lil Jerry_Seinfeld
Walk On

Male

Lil Jerry_Seinfeld has hatched from the shell

Quote:
I'll give the replacement a shot. But I won't be a fan of a team that sucks.
Lol dude. Two thoughts on this comment. 1. I totally respect your honesty. Way to keep it real. 2. Never in my life did I think we'd be good enough to have bandwagon fans. I can't stand people that like, as an example: duke basketball and fsu football. I've had to watch navy gams and coppin state games my whole life and band wagoners tick me off. But I do like that we are getting so good that the leaches are starting to live off our success. That to me says the culture of the program has totally changed. I say keep rockin ur Carolina gear man the more fans the better.
Lil Jerry_Seinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #40
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
OK, fair enough.

So guys, a legit question. Who you got in a fight: Spurrier or a Hurricane?
Hope that Cane had the good sense to bend over & kiss his ass goodbye.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote