CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
b381l
cocksmith1or11
kingofnerf
NAGamecockFan
The Yancey
conwaycock2
Travelin
Freshman ND WR " (1224)
Good Riddance to bad (627)
The Comeback & T (560)
Bashing Players, coa (464)
ESPN Game Day Commen (425)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (415)
Keeping tailgate foo (399)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (346)
Simple "yes&quo (301)
TeMarcus Blanton (291)
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Simple "yes" or
Phil Steele just predicte
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
TeMarcus Blanton
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Why I think we beat Aubur
Rest of the season predic
Battlefield 4

Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Shaq's hands

Have gone from below average/average his first year to almost Sidney Rice-like the past few games. I guess all it took was a little coaching and confidence. Gotta give credit to Bubba. Looking for Shaq to be big time next year with Dylan slinging it.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
dreammachine
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material
Default Re: Shaq's hands

I think he is going to be one of the best that we have had in a long time barring any injuries and if he gets some help from the other receivers. D. Byrd should help him and maybe even P. Cooper. I know if we incorporate our tight ends more into our offense this will even help Shaq Roland get open more. I am excited about his future and also for the fact that he is a "home grown product". Glad to see these type of kids staying and playing for us. Coach Spurrier and staff have really done a great job of getting most of the best players in our state. I also wish that more credit would be thrown towards Coach Steve Jr. I know that he can recruit good players, but there is always a lot of negative stuff said about him in past seasons. Maybe some of it was true and it took him time to get his act together, but I think he has had a great teacher in his father and it is starting to rub off on him.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:55 AM   #3
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I kinda got the impression that Shaq is one of those players who doesn't need anybody telling him how great he is, but needs somebody working hard with him in the off-season to help him get better. Look at what Andre Hopkins did for himself with the Juggs machine in the off-season. Comparing him with Rice after a 25 catch season seems overblown (not uncommon on fan boards). I think he will be our number one target next year, but he will have to earn it. We all hope he does.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:59 AM   #4
gamecockguy
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Have gone from below average/average his first year to almost Sidney Rice-like the past few games. I guess all it took was a little coaching and confidence. Gotta give credit to Bubba. Looking for Shaq to be big time next year with Dylan slinging it.
Big assumption that Dylan is gonna be the one throwing it but agree Shaq is in for a big year. Great leaping ability to go with those hands. Has shown hes got enough speed to take a pass and turn it into a TD as well
gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I really think he was pressing his first year.
He had a lot put on him by the fans to be THE GUY coming out of high school.

Now, it feels like he is letting the game come to him and is relaxing when the ball comes his way.

Also, coaching and developing his catch technique also helped. Good job by Jr. on that one.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I kinda got the impression that Shaq is one of those players who doesn't need anybody telling him how great he is, but needs somebody working hard with him in the off-season to help him get better. Look at what Andre Hopkins did for himself with the Juggs machine in the off-season. Comparing him with Rice after a 25 catch season seems overblown (not uncommon on fan boards). I think he will be our number one target next year, but he will have to earn it. We all hope he does.
You are right...very overblown with the Rice comparison.

Right now, Roland is on par with Freddie Brown...got some catches, but he isn't the guy...yet.
I think next year, Roland will have that year we expected when he signed.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

he really came on strong. as did the other receivers. on the topic of spurrier jr, I remember when people were saying he couldn't develop receivers. its apparent with nick jones, ellington, byrd, roland, etc that he indeed can coach.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

I never said he's on the level of Rice but his hands have been Rice-like the past 2 or 3 games. Catching everything.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I never said he's on the level of Rice but his hands have been Rice-like the past 2 or 3 games. Catching everything.
I think the way you phrased your comparison is more than acceptable. Some people read way more into statements than what's there. "Almost Rice-like for 2-3 games" =/= "is as good as Sidney Rice."

I would think we can all agree that if he can continue to build on the momentum he built up in those last few games he has the potential to have a Rice-like year. After that TD that got ruled incomplete against Florida he just seemed to he making awesome catch after awesome catch. The light came on for Alshon against Kentucky his freshman year. I think the light came on for Shaq against Florida. We'll just have to wait and see if he can do it.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
I think the way you phrased your comparison is more than acceptable. Some people read way more into statements than what's there. "Almost Rice-like for 2-3 games" =/= "is as good as Sidney Rice."

I would think we can all agree that if he can continue to build on the momentum he built up in those last few games he has the potential to have a Rice-like year. After that TD that got ruled incomplete against Florida he just seemed to he making awesome catch after awesome catch. The light came on for Alshon against Kentucky his freshman year. I think the light came on for Shaq against Florida. We'll just have to wait and see if he can do it.
Great comparison! He has been lights out since the Florida game...some of his cathces and his body control really makes me think of a smaller version of Alshon
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

A big part of the reason for his turn around was that he finally got it to 'click' in practice. Bubba mentioned several times prior to Miss State that Shaq was really starting to do well in practice. That practice play translated over to games at the end of the season.

Thats a one of the big reasons why Kwinton Smith, KJ Brent, Jody Fuller, and Shamier Jeffery haven't seen the field a whole lot. They are too inconsistent and they don't practice very well. In Shamier's case, injuries slowed him down a bit this year especially after his 5 catch game against Arkansas. Luckily, Smith and Fuller are only RS Sophomores and Brent/Jeffery have 2 more years to get it together (if they stay in the program).

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

I wanna see him bulk up a good bit. Add some strength into his game. He's a pretty slender receiver.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #13
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
You are right...very overblown with the Rice comparison.

Right now, Roland is on par with Freddie Brown...got some catches, but he isn't the guy...yet.
I think next year, Roland will have that year we expected when he signed.
completely disagree.....its not how many catches he is making that the OP says reminds him of Rice.....its the type of grabs he is making is reminding him of Rice

Freddie Brown had maybe 2 catches his whole career here on par with what OP is talking about
Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #14
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I really think he was pressing his first year.
He had a lot put on him by the fans to be THE GUY coming out of high school.

Now, it feels like he is letting the game come to him and is relaxing when the ball comes his way.

Also, coaching and developing his catch technique also helped. Good job by Jr. on that one.
I feel for him. He followed Gilmore, Latti, and Clowney. Everone knew who Shaq was and had Alshon-sized expectations for the kid his first year.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #15
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

If Shaq puts in good effort in the weight room and keeps working to be a better WR and learning his routes he will be poised for a breakout year. I love the attitude the team has taken the past several years in the offseason and really put in work. It is clearly paying dividends during the season.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:47 AM   #16
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

[quote=usc1;4051933]Have gone from below average/average his first year to almost Sidney Rice-like the past few games. I guess all it took was a little coaching and confidence. Gotta give credit to Bubba. Looking for Shaq to be big time next year with Dylan slinging it.

Having seen Shaq in high school, trust me the catches he made over the past 4 games, was standard in high school. Now people are starting to see Mr. Football. Just throw him the ball. This fall Shaq Davidson who is a beast will join the best receiving group in the SEC. Its Fun and Gun Time.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #17
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

Quote:
I've noticed his hands look much better too. My guess would be some good aloe or corn huskers lotion. that corn huskers lotion is where my money would be though
Old 01-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #18
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

I see him as being between Kenny Mckinly and Moe Brown...he and nick Jones both have dropped a number of easy ones.

Can't recall Sidney doing that.

Shaq needs to be the #1 legit target that's a sure thing before I even him in the same sentence.

Sidney was money...can you imagine Alshon and Sidney both on our O at the same time? Time is a cruel taskmaster.