CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Singaporecock
CoverTwo
2000grad
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
usc1
Order 66
Cock Kool-Aid
rosstheboss
uscsandstorm85
**USC vs. Charleston (4321)
Kelcy and Vic questi (2454)
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Steele projects AP t (893)
US Air nsfw tweet (723)
I like how Frank sou (645)
boiled peanuts (495)
Ahh...The Masters (493)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal (451)
Tax day freebies (443)
Bamberg High School Baseb
Connor Mitch
Last 5 years in the SEC
2015 - Chris Clark
Aggie game coming in from
**USC vs. Charleston Sout
Bruce, Vic & Kelcy si
Name a Gamecock
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
The case for Clowney at #

Old 01-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default A look at next year's offense

Go ahead and say it...Bruce Ellington is likely gone.
Kendric Salley is transferring, and I think KJ Brent may also be transferring

So next year's offense will look VERY different imho.

QB: Thompson, Nosovitch, Mitch
RB: Davis, Wilds, Carson, Williams
FB: McLaurin, Gist
WR: Roland, Jeffery
LT: Robinson, Matulis
LG: Cann, B. Stadnick
C: C. Stadnick, Knott
RG: Waldrop, Sport
RT: Shell, Gibson
TE: Anderson, Adams
WR: Cooper, Jones
WR: Byrd, K. Smith

Things I'm looking for improvement during spring
-Better blocking...especially Robinson...need to see him get quicker out of the block. Also, more moving the line from the whole group. Won't have Connor to bail them out anymore.

-Thompson to improve. Has to be more consistent. The DT that played against Michigan and Clemson need to be show up..not the one against UCF or Mizzou.

-WR step up
More consistent from Roland and Jones. Nicky was hot to start the year then disappeared..Roland has caught on the last few games, and looks like he can be the no. 1 option in a good passing attack. Also, want to see Pharoh improve his route running and see Jody Fuller and Kwinton Smith work to make the rotation. Also, more consistency from Shamier.

-More use of the TE
We saw some of it in the bowl game with Adams...we also need Anderson to reappear after a quiet junior year. Those two can give us matchup nightmares in the seam and on the post..not many LBs can cover them, and hardly any safety can match up with them physically.

What are you guys looking at next year offensively?
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: A look at next year's offense

To echo one of your sentiments, more consistent o-line run blocking. We have horses that have been around the program for a few years... time to get er done.

RB: Davis/Wilds will be a nice one-two punch to ware defenses out and I am looking for Williams to be our change of pace, home run threat.

TE: I think you will see these guys get more looks with DT at QB. They have the tools they just need to get the looks.

WR: Roland should step into a #1 role. He has great play making ability and just has to remain consistent and have a good off season. He also needs to keep maturing and keep his head on right. Byrd will again be our deep threat. I really liked his development this year and he has blossomed into a good weapon for us. It will also be nice to see Pharoh become more of a threat in the passing game. I know he is only a true freshman but he has the tools to become a nice slot receiver. I am also excited about Shaq Davidson coming in. He might be able to do some good stuff for us his first year.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
Stonecoldcock
Starter

CockyCash: 20001160
Stonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Go ahead and say it...Bruce Ellington is likely gone.
Kendric Salley is transferring, and I think KJ Brent may also be transferring

So next year's offense will look VERY different imho.

QB: Thompson, Nosovitch, Mitch
RB: Davis, Wilds, Carson, Williams
FB: McLaurin, Gist
WR: Roland, Jeffery
LT: Robinson, Matulis
LG: Cann, B. Stadnick
C: C. Stadnick, Knott
RG: Waldrop, Sport
RT: Shell, Gibson
TE: Anderson, Adams
WR: Cooper, Jones
WR: Byrd, K. Smith

Things I'm looking for improvement during spring
-Better blocking...especially Robinson...need to see him get quicker out of the block. Also, more moving the line from the whole group. Won't have Connor to bail them out anymore.

-Thompson to improve. Has to be more consistent. The DT that played against Michigan and Clemson need to be show up..not the one against UCF or Mizzou.

-WR step up
More consistent from Roland and Jones. Nicky was hot to start the year then disappeared..Roland has caught on the last few games, and looks like he can be the no. 1 option in a good passing attack. Also, want to see Pharoh improve his route running and see Jody Fuller and Kwinton Smith work to make the rotation. Also, more consistency from Shamier.

-More use of the TE
We saw some of it in the bowl game with Adams...we also need Anderson to reappear after a quiet junior year. Those two can give us matchup nightmares in the seam and on the post..not many LBs can cover them, and hardly any safety can match up with them physically.

What are you guys looking at next year offensively?
I agree with everything you posted except I don't see Stadnick starting at center. I think Waldrop stays at center, and I give Rodgers the inside track at winning the other guard position. Also I agree Dylan is the opening day starter, but I think you'll see his seat as the 1st stringer is not as cemented as Shaw's has been the last couple years, and I would not be shocked at all to see more of the mid game yanks next year. I think odds are that Thompson is the opening day and end of year starter, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him lose it either.
Stonecoldcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

The one thing I loved about Connor is that he doesn't loft a ball to get it down field. DT seems to throw the ball with more arc and it floats more.

I just don't know if Shamier is going to figure it out. Also, it wouldn't surprise me to see Crosby push Gist for PT as the #2 FB.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

The offense is going to look very different next season with Dylan at the helm. Dylan won't have a learning curve, so if he isn't getting it done from the first few games, I could see coach opting for the future with Noso or Mitch.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
Latt7more
Ball so hard...

Male

Latt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPit

Next year is going to be a fun year both on Offense and Defense. With Thompson being a senior I feel confident in his abilities, he's had the coaching for now 4 years and he's come along well both talent and confidence wise. I wasn't impressed with his accuracy against Mizzou, but you gotta respect his efforts against a great defense.

Mike Davis doesn't necessarily need the ball more, he just needs to line up in the I and Ace formations more, and that'll obviously happen with DT in the game. I think DWilliams will step into the backup position. He's just a different type of back that can maybe add a new element to our run game.

Shaq Roland should become a household name by week 6. I'd also hope to see Pharaoh come into his own.

Our line will be about the same as usual. We should take some of Wisconsin's blocking schemes from yesterday though.

I expect a ring of some sorts a year from now.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
bobbycock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 15000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

what about kane Whitehurst? he has been silent lately. he scored two touchdowns early in the season. he is definitely a deep threat....second fastest on the team next to byrd.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

Hope they can use Crosby as a Fb. Would give us another good weapon and give d.c's headaches having to match up with all the recievers, and te's. Plus Crosby has the athleticism to carry the ball too, and the size to run guys over. Just until we aren't as backed up at te.
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I think Ellington will probably be back because he probably won't be very highly rated as a draft prospect.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gamecockfb View Post
Hope they can use Crosby as a Fb. Would give us another good weapon and give d.c's headaches having to match up with all the recievers, and te's. Plus Crosby has the athleticism to carry the ball too, and the size to run guys over. Just until we aren't as backed up at te.
The problem is, how often do we actually use a FB is Joe Blue going to be used at that position?
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #11
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

We could use the position more and work it in with a dynamic player like Crosby. Joe may very well end up at fb but I think he starts at lb first. The coaches will have to evaluate.
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 or more alignments used a lot next year with the spread being number 1, the pistol number 2, the I on short yardage, and the Wildcat used several times each game. In the pistol and spread, we might see Nosovich used as a change of pace guy - he's pretty thick and quick. I think Mitch will get snaps and possibly push Thompson for playing time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis, Wilds, and Williams as the top 3 at TB with Smith in the mix somewhere. I haven't seen any real evidence that Smith goes to CB despite the shortage there.
I'm intrigued with Blue at FB but it's not a position we actually use to carry the ball. It could be that he and Crosby get looks on O first and if they don't look sharp, given a shot at LB. Both were terrors on both sides of the ball this year, but I doubt either cracks the 2 deep before mid-season. At WR, they should get production from Shaq, Byrd, Nick, K Smith, and possibly Shamier. Brent, Fuller, and Whitehurst are probably wildcards - I hope a couple develop and produce. I think the freshmen will be in development.
Spring will be interesting.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #13
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 or more alignments used a lot next year with the spread being number 1, the pistol number 2, the I on short yardage, and the Wildcat used several times each game. In the pistol and spread, we might see Nosovich used as a change of pace guy - he's pretty thick and quick. I think Mitch will get snaps and possibly push Thompson for playing time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis, Wilds, and Williams as the top 3 at TB with Smith in the mix somewhere. I haven't seen any real evidence that Smith goes to CB despite the shortage there.
I'm intrigued with Blue at FB but it's not a position we actually use to carry the ball. It could be that he and Crosby get looks on O first and if they don't look sharp, given a shot at LB. Both were terrors on both sides of the ball this year, but I doubt either cracks the 2 deep before mid-season. At WR, they should get production from Shaq, Byrd, Nick, K Smith, and possibly Shamier. Brent, Fuller, and Whitehurst are probably wildcards - I hope a couple develop and produce. I think the freshmen will be in development.
Spring will be interesting.
TBS has reported that Smith will move back to CB in the spring.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #14
uscjeremynca
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Call me crazy but I'm very concerned about our running game. I know Davis is an awesome back (along with Wilds and Williams). However, Connor had a tremendous effect on our running game when our backs were shut down. Connor got big first downs and prevented many 2nd and 3rd and longs with his running. I don't think we will be nearly as effective running the ball next year. We may miss Connor for his running more than we think.

That's just me. Maybe I'm wrong. But I'm not as confident in our running game despite the talent we have at the RB position. I'm still not convinced our OL blocks well enough for our backs. We've seen Clemson and Wisconsin slow down Davis (as well as some other teams). Shaw took over the running game. We won't have that next year.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #15
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

I think Na'Ty Rodgers will lock own the RG spot.
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #16
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

SC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talons

Man I'm excited to see Terry Googer! I can't wait to get another big tall receiver out there!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #17
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

I'm interested to see how Dylan handles being the #1 guy for the spring and summer. He's always seemed like he plays better when he knows he's THE guy.

It was good to see Shaq come along and progress like he did at the end of the year. He and Byrd can be absolutely dynamic in this offense next year and give us two deep threats. I think Nick will be solid again, and Pharoh will add a few different wrinkles to the offense from the Wildcat and in the passing game, both catching and throwing.

The offensive line was solid for most of the year, but still needs to be consistent. With Dylan as the QB, there won't be the element of mobility that we've seen from Shaw. If the OL can provide time for Dylan in the pocket, he should be able to sit back and shred defenses.

The running game will be fine.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #18
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRAY^# View Post
I think Na'Ty Rodgers will lock own the RG spot.

That's the report I've gotten too. People within the program are excited to see the big guy next season.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #19
CarolinaSpur12
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 100500
CarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming inCarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming inCarolinaSpur12 has feathers coming in

We know nothing about the QB other than DT is the man right now, until proven otherwise.

RB: Davis- 65%, Wilds 20%, the other 15% split between Carson (assuming he stays) and Williams.

WR: Shaq, Pharro, DaMirror, and Nicky will be our 4 with Shaq as our Go-To.

OLINE- LT(Robbinson)-LG(Cann)-C(Stadnick)-RG(Waldrop or NaTy)-RT(Shell)
This unit will be similar to this seasons. Hopefully improving a lot. Our offense would get stale at time due to poor blocking on pass and run plays. As we've seen, if the crease is there, Davis will hit it. And if the guy is open Shaw would hit em. We just have to open it up more this year than this past season.

TE- Busta and Adams. Busta needs to reemerge and become a threat. Off year this season but Adams did seem to pick it up a little.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm confident in our offense looking forward, but also suspect. I think our passing game can be better. Dylan seems to let it rip more frequently than Shaw did, but he also made some mistakes. Connor also bailed our Oline out of a lot of sacks and lost yardage as well with his feet. Unless the Oline improves, I don't believe that DT can do those things. Our run game towards the end of the season hung on Cooper and Shaw running the football. Due to the Oline being incapable of opening up holes for our RBs, we had to resort to untraditional methods of gaining yards on the ground. Can the hogs up front improve enough to churn out yards when we need em? Since Bruce is heading out, do our underclassmen step up? We know Shaq came on late. What about the others? Hopefully they can contribute some sort of way.

CarolinaSpur12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:04 PM   #20
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Would be really nice for DT to go right in where Connor left off.