CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
b381l
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
GoldenSpur7
ccured
robgusc76
ucan'tlickourcocks
Gyle41386
NJGCfan
Mangus now coaching (1826)
Can Tennessee get to (1259)
ESPN Article on HBC (988)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (794)
2 Crazy things (759)
Spread vs. aTm (745)
Chick Redefines the (721)
Lindy's top 100 for (704)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (609)
The Bama series (503)
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Alabama @ South Carolina
Spread vs. aTm
Mangus now coaching TEs
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
2015 - Davon Durant

Old 01-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
dreammachine
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material
Default Florida State

After watching last nights game between Auburn and Florida State and most all the "talking heads" giving Auburn no chance to win, I think that Auburn could have easily won the game just like Florida State did. Both teams made some crucial mistakes to allow the other team to get the lead and unfortunately for Auburn they allowed that long kickoff return and to me that's what killed them at the end.

My question about Florida State is this; If Florida State had to play in the SEC week in and week out, there is no way they would have went undefeated and the injuries that they would have had to endure would have surely cost them a couple of key players before the year was over. Playing mostly lightweights during their regular season they did not take the pounding that an SEC Schedule brings to our teams week in and week out. What does everyone else think would have happen if Florida State would have had to run the gauntlet of the SEC for most of the season?
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb
Default Re: Florida State

I think the patsy schedule FSU played had them totally unprepared for the speed and intensity of Auburn.Once they settled in and got use to the speed of the game, then their superior overall talent took over.

I think had FSU played a much tougher schedule they would have had more injuries,but barring something like what Georgia or Florida underwent,the tougher opponents would have made them a better team.
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I think it is somewhat of a wash. Fla State was a great team this year. They were talked about as a team of the century, which was unrealistic. They, and other good ACC, Big 10, and PAC 12 teams get ranked higher than they should based on playing weak schedules. They get an inflated view of how good they are. It leaves them more vulnerable to getting beaten when they play a really good team. Remember Dabo saying that Clem would beat Fla State five out of ten games? That was based on his inflated view and tendency to overspeak. There is some ranking benefit to those weak-schedule teams, but some of it gets washed out in the end.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

That fake punt changed the entire game.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
That fake punt changed the entire game.

Agreed.It kept FSU in the game and gave them momentum heading into halftime.

For Auburn to have won then needed to have almost a mistake free game and the errors in the kicking game plus some misses on pass plays they had open were what ultimately did them in.
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:32 AM   #6
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

No doubt that Florida State would have been a force to deal with even if they had been in the SEC with all the talent that they have. I guess in my opinion that if they had to play the SEC Schedule each week and get hammered even when you win, it does take a toll on you and your teammates. That's why I think if Winston had gotten hurt would FSU be the same team. Look at Georgia before the team got all the injuries, they were a hand full for anybody to beat and should have beaten Auburn with the banged up team that played them that day that Auburn got the gift from heaven on the Hail Mary Pass. It does take it's toll on every SEC Team to play the schedule that we play. Give Florida State the credit that they deserve as they proved on the field that they were the best team and they might have been the best team even if they played in the SEC, but I would have liked to see them run the gauntlet against great defenses week in and week out and not with the cup cake schedule that they played in the ACC. Once again, I will state that Florida State looked like the best team in the country with all the talent that they have on that team and they proved it by beating an Auburn Team that came out of nowhere to be in the National Championship Game. Auburn had one heck of a season and they deserve to be highly ranked, but several other SEC teams with a little luck could have easily been there in their place. This could not have happened in the ACC as Florida State, Duke, and yes even Clem&Son were better on there worst days than the other teams in the ACC on their best days. What do you think our record would have been in the ACC this year. The worst it would have been would have us at 11-1, if we had to play FSU and even then I like our chances against them.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:36 AM   #7
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
My question about Florida State is this; If Florida State had to play in the SEC week in and week out, there is no way they would have went undefeated and the injuries that they would have had to endure would have surely cost them a couple of key players before the year was over.
That is more of a statement rather than a question.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:23 AM   #8
dreammachine
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
That is more of a statement rather than a question.

Well, give it your best shot and please forgive me if I confused you. Did you not read the whole statement as I did ask what everyone thought would have happened to FSU if they had to run the gauntlet of the SEC.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

A valid point.
FSU really didn't play anyone outside of Clemson (if you look at rankings) and blew their doors off.

Auburn though had to fight against Georgia, LSU, Alabama, TAMU..along with bowl winners Ole Miss, Miss State and Mizzou.

Even Washington State and Arkansas State were bowl teams. Their only gimmes may have been Western Carolina, Florida Atlantic, Arkansas and Tennessee.

FSU had gimmes against Idaho, Nevada, Bethune Cookman, Wake Forest, Syracuse and NC State. Maryland, Miami, BC and Duke all lost their bowl games.

No question, Auburn had the tougher schedule...but FSU just had more talent.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

FSU is a very talented team and has some great coaches. If you don't believe they would be able to compete week in and week out with SEC teams then you need to take your blinders off.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

FSU Strength of Schedule Rank 2013 62. 2nd easiest in the ACC.

Sure they survived vs Auburn Monday night, but odds are someone pips them if they played a full SEC schedule.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
uscbrasco
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 510
uscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
FSU Strength of Schedule Rank 2013 62. 2nd easiest in the ACC.

Sure they survived vs Auburn Monday night, but odds are someone pips them if they played a full SEC schedule.
This.

I dont want to take away anything away from the talent and coaching FSU has, BUT they schedule was soft. They are a great team PERIOD. I do not think they make it through a whole season in SEC or PAC10 undefeated however.
uscbrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #13
G&B
ferk it

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

The only good team they played they had to win on a last second squeaker and they (fsu) were highly favored. I think that pretty much supports all the arguments that they were over hyped. They were only able to blow out weak teams. ha ha suck it clemson

"Relativity is relative" - V. Smith
G&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Don't put too much stock into any game when the two teams had over a month off before hand. It's almost like a new season, which has positives and negatives (my one major criticism of the bowls/CFB postseason).

On topic, FSU is easily good enough to have gone undefeated if they'd gotten a favorable schedule. Give them Mizzou or SC's SEC schedules this season and I'd say more likely than not. But they likely walk away from Mississippi St or Arkansas's schedule with at least one loss, I would think.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #15
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

CockyCash: 100500
johnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
FSU is a very talented team and has some great coaches. If you don't believe they would be able to compete week in and week out with SEC teams then you need to take your blinders off.
this!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #16
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

FSU had 11 players drafted last year. But as someone already posted, their schedule was so easy, it didn't challenge them. Would they have gone through an SEC schedule undefeated, maybe. But they would have had to earn it instead of just dancing their way through it.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote