CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
StormOfTalons
Acockolypse Now
spareparts
b381l
elcid99
sporkgod50
auslander
75CarolinaFan
conwaycock2
M.C.
An Aggies View of th (1015)
My predictions for 2 (982)
Tennessee (679)
Mike Davis' HS Coach (665)
Elcid99 (619)
Question on Student (458)
Erin Murray's brothe (431)
Clowney in Practice (417)
SEC Recruiting Advan (389)
Camp scheduled relea (334)
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Not a Rival..
Keith Stone (2016 Prospec
2015 - Zack Bailey
Mike Davis' HS Coach on H
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
2015 - Jarred Reuter
Doral Moore
Tennessee
Ranking the Opposing Fanb

Old 04-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
Cock Strong
xX Copyright This Xx

Male

CockyCash: 6888850
Cock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot material
Default Boating to Charleston

I'm planning a weekend trip by boat to Charleston from Columbia. I've never done it and have no real knowledge of the trip. Can anyone offer real advice or a link to something tangable. Everything I have found on the net is Bubba's talking about taking their john boat down.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
scgamecox2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 700
scgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot materialscgamecox2001 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Boating to Charleston

i know the SCDNR used to have it mapped out...might wanna check their website
scgamecox2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
CockRoche
ADIDAS

Male

CockyCash: 50600
CockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot material

Here is some info I found on the locks. I was curious myself so I went ahead and did some searching. I ran across a crude map probably not worth posting so you could also probaby google a map of the place easily. I don't think there is much in the way of getting lost. I've been on Marion a few times and Moultrie once(bad experience in a brand new boat) via the diversion canal.
https://www.santeecooper.com/portal/.../pinopolislock
Old 04-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

I've never done it myself but have friends who have and know a little bit about it.

What kind of boat will you be in? Also, are you familiar with using lock systems?

Basically the route I would take is maybe put in on the Wateree River out on 378...then head down to where it runs into the Congaree River (Santee River)...through Lake Marion onto Lake Moultrie...and on down to Charleston by way of Cooper River.

I've been wanting to make a similar trip for a good while...get some buddies, lots of cold beer, camping gear, and make an awesome weekend out of it.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
CockRoche
ADIDAS

Male

CockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
I've never done it myself but have friends who have and know a little bit about it.

What kind of boat will you be in? Also, are you familiar with using lock systems?

Basically the route I would take is maybe put in on the Wateree River out on 378...then head down to where it runs into the Congaree River (Santee River)...through Lake Marion onto Lake Moultrie...and on down to Charleston by way of Cooper River.

I've been wanting to make a similar trip for a good while...get some buddies, lots of cold beer, camping gear, and make an awesome weekend out of it.
Is there really any other way besides the launch location? Putting in on 378 really wouldn't even be that far from where the rivers meet. I figured he was going to put in somewhere near the stadium.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockRoche View Post
Is there really any other way besides the launch location? Putting in on 378 really wouldn't even be that far from where the rivers meet. I figured he was going to put in somewhere near the stadium.
Well I would just suggest that because of how close Columbia is to the fall line and if you started on the Wateree, I know you wouldn't have any issues. I've never taken the Congaree all the way down to the swamp area...just seems like it would be tough to navigate at certain early areas.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Cock Football 05
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 144191532
Cock Football 05 is USC mascot materialCock Football 05 is USC mascot materialCock Football 05 is USC mascot materialCock Football 05 is USC mascot materialCock Football 05 is USC mascot materialCock Football 05 is USC mascot materialCock Football 05 is USC mascot materialCock Football 05 is USC mascot materialCock Football 05 is USC mascot materialCock Football 05 is USC mascot materialCock Football 05 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Cock Football 05 Send a message via Yahoo to Cock Football 05

My neighbor is taking this trip in May(or June). I believe they are launching in Santee, I think the Congaree near Rosewood or any further up would be too much of a hassle for them. I think they are taking two 20'+ center consoles.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

One of these days I want to take about a week or two and canoe from Greenville all the way to Charleston.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
Cock Strong
xX Copyright This Xx

Male

Cock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot materialCock Strong is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post

24' pontoon. I was thinking of putting in near 77. The river gets really big down that way. That seems like the path of least resistance.
The only problem I have with that is I don't even know a good landing down in that area.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
Cock Strong
xX Copyright This Xx

Male

Thanks for the info roche.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Strong View Post
24' pontoon. I was thinking of putting in near 77. The river gets really big down that way. That seems like the path of least resistance.
The only problem I have with that is I don't even know a good landing down in that area.
There is a landing at the end of Rosewood kind of near the stadium.

And on the Casey side there is one a bit further down
Old 04-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
GamecockSkip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Race for the Chase: Race for the Chase - Given for: 2007 Winner Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: 2007 winner Nascar Challenge: Nascar Challenge Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar 1st Segment 
GamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot material

The closest landing to I-77 is congaree landing in Cayce. Be advised that there are many sandbars, sweepers, sawyers, snags, etc. that you will encounter on your way. A 24' potoon will be difficult to navigate in many spots. The Wateree between 378 & the Congaree is very narrow and swift in many paces and also filled with hazards like the Congaree. I would recommend only trying to float the river at gage levels above 6' on the lower Congaree gage. At low water levels I've had problems with my 16' jon boat in the Congaree. Running the river in a small boat first would be wise before trying it in a larger boat.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
Cock Strong
xX Copyright This Xx

Male

I have some friends who are going the week before me in a similar boat. I'll see what they say before I put my boat in there.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
CockRoche
ADIDAS

Male

We used to put in at Lugoff to go striper fishing and bow fishing. I don't know if they are still there, but if you go down river from the bridge, there used to be about three or four big house boats down there with one of them being a big paddle wheel. They looked like they had been there for years but I'm assuming they came up the river from Santee somehow. In fact, I know a guy who has relatives with land on the Wateree in Eastover who said big boats used to come up the river years ago, I guess to haul cotton or something. I went up the river from Pack's landing to bass fish and it does get to be very winding so one would have to be on their toes.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
Cock Strong
xX Copyright This Xx

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockRoche View Post
We used to put in at Lugoff to go striper fishing and bow fishing. I don't know if they are still there, but if you go down river from the bridge, there used to be about three or four big house boats down there with one of them being a big paddle wheel. They looked like they had been there for years but I'm assuming they came up the river from Santee somehow. In fact, I know a guy who has relatives with land on the Wateree in Eastover who said big boats used to come up the river years ago, I guess to haul cotton or something. I went up the river from Pack's landing to bass fish and it does get to be very winding so one would have to be on their toes.
Yeah I'm no trend setter by any means, I know others have done it. Just not anyone I know well enough to consult. The people going the weekend before me are taking their 24" pontoon. So I'll see what they say before I do anything. I've seen those boats in wateree, so it can be done.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #16
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

I don't have time right now to help you search, but once you get in the Cooper River via the locks at Lake Moultire (That section of the Cooper is called the Tail Race canal) about 5 miles down the river from there and just past Pimlico, which is a no-wake residential zone, you'll come to a train tressel, and a little ways past that to an area filled with old rice patties to what's called "the T's". You definitely want to know what you're doing navigating in that area or you can easily dry dock your boat in a 17-1800s era rice patty in no time. Do your homework on that area for sure. From there it's smooth sailing with navigation markers the rest of the way to Charleston. Once you get just beyond Goose Creek/Bushy Park there's the old Naval Weapons Station. You'll see a submarine docked there on the right and you need to stay the hell away from that side of the river or homeland security will be on you quick-like. From there and depending on your speed you'll be in the Charleston harbor in 20-25 mins.

Good luck with all that!
Old 04-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #17
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Oh yeah, Lake Moultrie is a stump-ridden, prop/foot eating nightmare. Stay out in the middle and don't venture too far to your right when heading across from Cross to the Moncks Corner side or you'll be sorry. Chances are you'll be able to follow a local on the right navigation path.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #18
superstar90
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5000
superstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his comb

Lake Moultrie has markers from cross all the way to the dam. Plus we are at high water levels so unless you are going out to check places like the hatchery or sumerset or whatever u want, there shouldn't be any stump issues. The locks are not always open, but 90% of the time it will be. They do not operate them during bad weather(high winds, lightening/thunder). Definitely know your way around the T's, but if you have to just go slow and if the water goes from 18-20' to 6-8', you have gone the wrong way. Once in the harbour be careful of anywhere you pull up to rest. Oyster beds and rapidly changing tides can make for a bad day. A guy was stuck this past weekend on a island because they didn't keep up with the tide. It's either a 6 hour wait or a 700.00 tow from "sea-tow".
superstar90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #19
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Been wanting to do the same trip forever. I've been up and down the Congaree and put in off Rosewood, Cayce and off Highway 601. I'd recommend putting in at the Hwy 601 landing, although I'm not too sure about a pontoon there. You'd be just up from where the Wateree comes in and the water is wide there. If its moving swift, though, it can be a hassle to work around the bridge (especially if the dude with the 2-story houseboat is all in the way).

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #20
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

We used to camp out on Capers Island and would make the trip down. With a boat that big you'll have a hard time managing close to Columbia. We would always put in at Week's Landing off 267. Trust me, the trip to Charleston from there is long enough.