CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
spareparts
G&B
b381l
ertman420
robgusc76
usc1
Ericvol2096
Cockypantherfan
Ole Miss Projected R (796)
2001 vs Sandstorm (775)
Tennessee hires Donn (752)
Acock reviews the SE (655)
So who was the dude (636)
Sunday college footb (622)
Does anyone have a l (336)
Florida Georgia Line (257)
**USC vs. USC-Upstat (233)
Purple drank (203)
SEC Network "Take It
Does anyone have a link t
2001 vs Sandstorm
response from charter abo
Acock reviews the SEC Net
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
2015 - D.J. Jones
Name a Gamecock

Old 11-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Pty23
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Pty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his comb
Default Kelvin Rainey

I'm bored at work, so I'm pondering random thoughts. Anyone else think Kelvin Rainey could make a pretty good DE if we really needed some depth for next year? If he's fast and quick enough to play LB, I would think he could add a bit of weight and be a pretty decent DE too.

Last edited by Pty23; 11-08-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Addition
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Kelvin Rainey

I think we need to find something for him to do. With the athletic ability that he has, I know it might be raw right now, he might start thinking about transferring soon so he can see the field. It seems like we are wasting his talents. I know that the coaches know best, but I just can't shake the feeling that we could really use him better than we have. DE might be a good spot. A speed rush kinda smaller guy.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pty23 View Post
I'm bored at work, so I'm pondering random thoughts. Anyone else think Kelvin Rainey could make a pretty good DE if we really needed some depth for next year? If he's fast and quick enough to play LB, I would think he could add a bit of weight and be a pretty decent DE too.
He could do it, but why would we unless it was an emergency situation? next year we are going to have Gerald Dixon on the strong side, and probably Darius English or Doobie Thomas on the weak side. Then we have Mason Harris, David Johnson, Gerald Turner, and Devin Washington. Our DL is still going to be really really good. We don't have a need right now.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Pty23
4-Star

Male

Pty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
He could do it, but why would we unless it was an emergency situation? next year we are going to have Gerald Dixon on the strong side, and probably Darius English or Doobie Thomas on the weak side. Then we have Mason Harris, David Johnson, Gerald Turner, and Devin Washington. Our DL is still going to be really really good. We don't have a need right now.
I hope you're right, just worried that Devin might not get to ever play a down here, and unless Mason puts on some serious weight (which I obviously hope he does successfully) I don't see him playing much of a role. That would leave us with not much depth at all, especially since Turner and Johnson haven't played a down yet. Like the previous poster said, Kelvin is too good of an athlete to have riding the pine.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Harry Tuttle
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

I'm so sick of Kelvin sitting on the bench. I've been preaching it all year. I don't care if he knew the offense and that is why he looked like a total stud at LB during the spring game. Could it be that he's a gamer???? Spurrier has said many times that some guys are just gamers...but no... not 235 lb sub 4.5 running quick hands having 4* KElvin Rainey.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
skhunt84
Recruit

Male

skhunt84 has developed his gaff and talonsskhunt84 has developed his gaff and talonsskhunt84 has developed his gaff and talonsskhunt84 has developed his gaff and talonsskhunt84 has developed his gaff and talonsskhunt84 has developed his gaff and talonsskhunt84 has developed his gaff and talonsskhunt84 has developed his gaff and talonsskhunt84 has developed his gaff and talonsskhunt84 has developed his gaff and talonsskhunt84 has developed his gaff and talons

I watched Kelvin in high school at Yulee, Fl. He's a stud, definitely has the speed to be an awesome DE.
skhunt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
I'm so sick of Kelvin sitting on the bench. I've been preaching it all year. I don't care if he knew the offense and that is why he looked like a total stud at LB during the spring game. Could it be that he's a gamer???? Spurrier has said many times that some guys are just gamers...but no... not 235 lb sub 4.5 running quick hands having 4* KElvin Rainey.
Oh my goodness, are you seriously, trying to tell Spurrier who he needs to play and not play?
Rainey was the one that wanted to play TE. We didn't have enough LBs in the spring so them moved him there until those freshman came in. If wants to play he is going to have to beat out his competition which are Anderson, Adams, and Owens. If he thinks a position change is a better option than waiting for his chance at TE, than he needs to tell the coaches, but he is still going to have to beat out his competition no matter where he winds up. And we already have good players we like at LB and at DE that are getting better all the time.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Kelvin is like Melvin Ingram. He's gotta get out there somehow
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
I hope you're right, just worried that Devin might not get to ever play a down here, and unless Mason puts on some serious weight (which I obviously hope he does successfully) I don't see him playing much of a role. That would leave us with not much depth at all, especially since Turner and Johnson haven't played a down yet. Like the previous poster said, Kelvin is too good of an athlete to have riding the pine.
Not like he is the only one.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I think if he was that good he would be playing somewhere.

Spurrier is going to play someone if they need to get on the field.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
crockcock
Recruit

Male

crockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Im like you dude....I don't see Harris nor Devin being a factor at DE next year because of there size of course. Unless they gain about 75Lbs each in the off season...ain't gonna happen. So, its sounds like that Rainey that he has the athletic ability to possibly make the position switch.
crockcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Harry Tuttle
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Oh my goodness, are you seriously, trying to tell Spurrier who he needs to play and not play?
Rainey was the one that wanted to play TE. We didn't have enough LBs in the spring so them moved him there until those freshman came in. If wants to play he is going to have to beat out his competition which are Anderson, Adams, and Owens. If he thinks a position change is a better option than waiting for his chance at TE, than he needs to tell the coaches, but he is still going to have to beat out his competition no matter where he winds up. And we already have good players we like at LB and at DE that are getting better all the time.
I was talking stricly about him at LB so I'm more telling Ward who he needs to play. We have good players we like at LB? I like them ok, sure, but the fact remains that we are too small and are basically running a dime package defense all the time. Kelvin won the spring practice defensive big play award... I was banned for expressing my feelings about our entire 2 deep at LB graduating and even in clean up time last year against a team like UGA we had senior LBs on the field. Anyways, the laws of physics suggest that Rainey would be more effective at bringing down 1 of Bama's 3 215+lb. running backs than our other LBs. He would at least make us appear more physical. Idk though. There is no easy fix when looking at our second level vrs. the power run. I do admit they are getting better though.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
crockcock
Recruit

Male

crockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurs

Quote:
I was talking stricly about him at LB so I'm more telling Ward who he needs to play. We have good players we like at LB? I like them ok, sure, but the fact remains that we are too small and are basically running a dime package defense all the time. Kelvin won the spring practice defensive big play award... I was banned for expressing my feelings about our entire 2 deep at LB graduating and even in clean up time last year against a team like UGA we had senior LBs on the field. Anyways, the laws of physics suggest that Rainey would be more effective at bringing down 1 of Bama's 3 215+lb. running backs than our other LBs. He would at least make us appear more physical. Idk though. There is no easy fix when looking at our second level vrs. the power run. I do admit they are getting better though.
Totally agree..
crockcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
From what I heard he was a terrible tackler and bad on run D.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

I wish they would have left him at LB too, seems like he is just not seeing the field as a TE but in mop up duty. Seems that he can surely do something for the team with his size and athleticism
Old 11-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Why do we even have coaches to bother making these football decisions when we have guys on internet talking about the laws of physics? The guy wanted be a TE we went forward with his training for being a TE. We have guys that we've trained as LBs. Now you expect the coaches to switch him to defense and train him on defensive positioning and taking angles and tackling technique and reading the quarterback, and not falling misdirection and have him learn all the defensive plays and arrangements? That stuff takes a lot of time to learn and get good at. It's too late for this. The linebackers we have now are doing a good job. They are a huge improvment and if they switched Rainey it would be a while before he is able to work his way up the depth chart. You don't seem to understand that Rainey was nothing but a fill-in at LB this spring. He's a TE, that's all. Some of our linebackers may be a little small now, but they are absolute ballers and they are they future of our defense.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 11-08-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
Pty23
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Why do we even have coaches to bother making these football decisions when we have guys on internet talking about the laws of physics?
It's a bye week & we're bored. Just something to discuss, on a discussion board...
Old 11-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #18
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Why do we even have coaches to bother making these football decisions when we have guys on internet talking about the laws of physics? The guy wanted be a TE we went forward with his training for being a TE. We have guys that we've trained as LBs. Now you expect the coaches to switch him to defense and train him on defensive positioning and taking angles and tackling technique and reading the quarterback, and not falling misdirection and have him learn all the defensive plays and arrangements? That stuff takes a lot of time to learn and get good at. It's too late for this. The linebackers we have now are doing a good job. They are a huge improvment and if they switched Rainey it would be a while before he is able to work his way up the depth chart. You don't seem to understand that Rainey was nothing but a fill-in at LB this spring. He's a TE, that's all. Some of our linebackers may be a little small now, but they are absolute ballers and they are they future of our defense.
Rainey was LB all spring and most of fall camp. I wouldn't say "it's too late for this" as the coaches may yet choose to move him to defense.

I do agree with you that anyone who says they don't know Spurrier knows what he's doing is wrong...but I don't really see anyone doing that.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #19
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudly

Who do we have at TE next year? We have three really nice TEs now. 2014 could be his year. One thing for sure. He is not going back to defense.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Qua gilchrist- LB to FB
Cory Robinson- DT to LT
Jamari smith- Rb to CB to RB
Pharoh cooper- CB to WR
Melvin Ingram- MLB to DE

could keep going but I think you get the point.
The thing is that Rainey has previous training at the position of LB and excelled there in spring
To the point that he won awards in the spring for how much he excelled.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote