CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Carolina-Beez
Cockyteg
kevhugh
eatlighting
Latti
**USC vs. Vanderbilt (32604)
Gameday in Columbia (1711)
ECU is a good team (1403)
Why we'll dominate C (1186)
Alabama vs Florida. (1004)
ECU is a good team (974)
Lammons out (955)
Is it possible for o (899)
Spurrier not happy s (856)
Spurrier was Embaras (854)
Spurrier was Embarassed
Spurrier not happy so why
how could we put up that
Is it possible for our Sp
Cal-Arizona game, WOW!!!
Where was Wilds late in t
Ducks-Wash St
ECU
More David Williams Pleas
2014-15 Premier League se

Old 01-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #21
BBlackwell
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
BBlackwell has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Cedrick Cooper to DE

This may be true, on his instagram he had something on there a few weeks ago saying #operation 250
BBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #22
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

ward also talked about it in an interview with kornblut on his sportstalk website. there were probably some unrealistic expectations placed on him rescuing the lb core with the injuries hes suffered and that coupled with the loss of practice time he looked a little lost out there at times this past season in limited action.

i remember seeing him at de in the bowl game like covertwo said. we'll see how it goes during the spring. darius english got a medical redshirt according to our athletic site so he doesnt have a regular redshirt available anymore.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #23
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

This reminds of me of what happened with Gresham.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #24
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

With his prior injuries, it was tough for him to get much PT......this move seems like a stretch to me and coaches are trying to do everything they can to help him get on the field......I just don't think this will work. He's healthy now and been here for several years, if he were going to be a starter it should have already happened.....perhaps he can be a ST contributor....they are always looking for guys that can tackle that don't mind the contact. I hope this move works, but I have my doubts.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #25
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

I think this is a good move to give us a more athletic guy at DE in passing situations. I focused in on Gerald Dixon during the bowl game, and the last few games of the season, and it appears to me that he's maybe just a step slow for DE, and with his physicality,size and frame, he could be a candidate to move inside to DT.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #26
5lbYardcock
Two Deep

Male

5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

Coop is up to 235 and will gain more weight by August. He will be just fine.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #27
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockholio View Post
I think this is a good move to give us a more athletic guy at DE in passing situations. I focused in on Gerald Dixon during the bowl game, and the last few games of the season, and it appears to me that he's maybe just a step slow for DE, and with his physicality,size and frame, he could be a candidate to move inside to DT.
Harris and English are athletic - they're not lacking in that department. Got to get bigger, and you've got to figure at least one of these guys gets up to a good weight. I figure Dixon to be a guy who is going to be more effective against the run, but he got in the backfield some, too.

I think it's going to be more DE-by-committee in '14. We lose the star power of JD, and probably won't have guys the caliber of MI6, DT, and Sutton. But look what Auburn has done, by just building a solid 8-man rotation.
GoldenSpur7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #28
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
With his prior injuries, it was tough for him to get much PT......this move seems like a stretch to me and coaches are trying to do everything they can to help him get on the field......I just don't think this will work. He's healthy now and been here for several years, if he were going to be a starter it should have already happened.....perhaps he can be a ST contributor....they are always looking for guys that can tackle that don't mind the contact. I hope this move works, but I have my doubts.
Rabbits package I think. Maybe a shifty guy like Ingram?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #29
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

GSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talons

Could be great!!

Clemson's Vic Beasley is only 230 (listed) probably plays at 220 during season with so much exercise, and he logged like 20 sacks.

Remember VA Tech's Corey Moore? 5'11, 210 pounds, one of the most dominating DE's in ACC history.

Mike Mamula, Dwight Freeney, quite a few other DE's have been smallish but shined.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #30
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Not sure he has that explosive burst anymore after all the injuries, but I'm really pulling for this guy.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:43 AM   #31
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lbYardcock View Post
Coop is up to 235 and will gain more weight by August. He will be just fine.
Then he may very well be 250 by next season.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:46 AM   #32
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post
Harris and English are athletic - they're not lacking in that department. Got to get bigger, and you've got to figure at least one of these guys gets up to a good weight. I figure Dixon to be a guy who is going to be more effective against the run, but he got in the backfield some, too.

I think it's going to be more DE-by-committee in '14. We lose the star power of JD, and probably won't have guys the caliber of MI6, DT, and Sutton. But look what Auburn has done, by just building a solid 8-man rotation.
That would also help with all the spread offenses.
If we could have Dixon, Cooper, English, Harris, Thomas and Washington all rotate, it would keep our guys fresher. And you never know, Dante Sawyer may also creep into the rotation, and if that happens, maybe move Dixon inside like we did with Ingram.

Go along with a possible DT rotation of Dixon Jr., Surratt, Dukes, Lamin, Griffin and Johnson.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 AM   #33
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Hope it works out. There's another cooper that should be playing defense as well.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:03 AM   #34
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post

Auburn has a couple of 5* in that group......I think between Thomas, Sawyer and maybe Caldwell along with the rest, we'll be fine at DE......especially if we get Wideman and he qualifies.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:26 AM   #35
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
That would also help with all the spread offenses.
If we could have Dixon, Cooper, English, Harris, Thomas and Washington all rotate, it would keep our guys fresher. And you never know, Dante Sawyer may also creep into the rotation, and if that happens, maybe move Dixon inside like we did with Ingram.

Go along with a possible DT rotation of Dixon Jr., Surratt, Dukes, Lamin, Griffin and Johnson.
Don't forget about Gerald Turner and maybe even David Johnson.
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:45 AM   #36
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
It worked for Melvin Ingram...but Melvin was also 260 pounds and got too big to play LB. He was also 230 when he came to USC.

It is hard to gauge Cooper simply because he hasn't been on the field that much with his injuries. I've heard he is a vicious hitter and is good against the run...so it could work. He will have the chance to start immediately if he can get between 235-240.
Cooper is just a kid that needs to be on the field. Great leader, great kid, great skills. I think this is a great move. He was in trouble after that freshman LB grew up so fast
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:47 AM   #37
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlackwell View Post
This may be true, on his instagram he had something on there a few weeks ago saying #operation 250
I noticed that, but didn't put it together until I saw this thread. . He needs to be at least close to that if he wants to be able to hold his own
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #38
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I really don't know how big Mizzou's DE's were last season, but those guys were FAST. I'm wondering if this move is to get some faster DE's on the field to take notes from Mizzou's defensive scheme?
Old 01-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #39
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlackwell View Post
Skai also tweeted out saying something along the lines of if he get to 250 watch out he is going to be a beast. Didn't really understand it until i saw this thread
Old 01-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #40
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockholio View Post
I don't think Dixon is too slow. They don't always have to be pass rushing types. What he lacks in speed he makes up with in strength and I think we are stouter against the run with him in there as opposed to say a Sutton, And he is strong and fast enough to collapse the pocket. He is an ideal strong side DE in my opinion.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote