CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
ertman420
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
RGHoskins
spareparts
Ericvol2096
usc90grad
ESPN article on Clow (1105)
Clemson Georgia Game (857)
Mangus now coaching (839)
Can Tennessee get to (617)
Chick Redefines the (377)
2 Crazy things (322)
The Bama series (307)
Spread vs. aTm (294)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (242)
Truly Inspiring (238)
Worse Hire Brad Scott or
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
2015 - Davon Durant
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
ESPN Article on HBC on on
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2 Crazy things
ESPN article on Clowney -
SEC Network "Take It

Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
Dietz
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
Dietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot material
Default Restaurant Review: Soby's

Being a chef and culinary educator, I rarely go out to eat because I simply feel like I can make it at home. That said, being a father of three very young children, it's nice to be able to have a "date night" with the little lady, and be served in a relaxed atmosphere.

Service-wise I'll have to give them an A. It was attentive yet slightly aloof, the waiter also did not seem like a know-it-all, which is always a major tip buster. Also, no matter what the food is like, I'll always tip 20% or better if the service is right on.

For starters we had the fried calamari. Felt like I was going back to 1990. It's on everybody's menu, the wife likes it, so do I, as long as it's done right. It was not. Anyone who has cooked it before knows it can go from tender to rubberband in seconds, which is exactly what happened. Furthermore, it wasn't properly dredged in flour because there were pieces that were completely unfloured. It was almost as if they just unceremoniously dropped into the grease in one plop because they were all stuck together.

Now for the entrees. The wifey had the braised short ribs. Quite excellent. Wish I had ordered that. Sauce was nice, definitely house made reduced to a nice glace. Mashed spuds with a good amount of horseradish. My rabbit confit was not. There was no confit about it, confit means braised in fat, so it should have been sticky-moist and falling off the bone. It was friggin' rabbit jerky. Also there was not enough food on the plate. This doesn't really bother me if it's just completely off-the-chain making me want more. It was if they just stuck the rabbit directly in dry heat with no seasoning at all. Piss. Poor. Effort.

Deesert. Pecan pie tart with bourbon ice cream. Excellent!!

Over-all, I'll give them a C+, Great service will always make up for poor food for me. I didn't want to complain and ruin my wife's evening because they are so few and far between, but we will definitely go somewhere else on our next night out. Any other suggestions for the Greenville area?
Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
riceatusc
Misses Old Cockytalk

Male

CockyCash: 300000000
riceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to riceatusc Send a message via MSN to riceatusc
Default Re: Restaurant Review: Soby's

I've enjoyed High Cotton in the past. It's been awhile since I've eaten there but it was a good place to take a lady
Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Dietz
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
Dietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot material

^ Thanks, I'll give it a try, they were on our list but we couldn't get in at the time we wanted, which says a lot.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Rick Erwin's is always a good option. I have also heard that American Grocery Restaurant is a good. Davani's is an excellent Italian place on Augusta St.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote