CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
Sandstorm29
Gamecocks1137
Jim Lahey
GarnetSwarm1990
NinjaSven
WeStillOwnUSC
kingoftheroost
CockFighter
Spur's Addiction
So, why is next year (2988)
Why do so many of yo (1412)
Shot in the arm for (1334)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (994)
looks like we have 2 (656)
Custom Jersey (579)
Abu Bowl Ready (424)
The pets holiday din (244)
75 Best Bakeries in (218)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (206)
looks like we have 2 OL r
The Vent and Coaching cha
2014 - 2015 Atlanta Brave
2015 - Mark Fields
Beat Miami
OL Na'Ty Rodgers transfer
So, why is next year goin
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
Wilds & Carson Back f
How Long Will The Rebuild

Old 01-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons
Default Freddie Solomon

Just heard on the Game that Freddie Solomon passed away at the age of 61. Prayers out to his family. I rmember when he bought his mom a home in Sumter right down the street from my house on McRae's Mill Road.
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Garolina Camecocks
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garolina Camecocks has earned his spursGarolina Camecocks has earned his spursGarolina Camecocks has earned his spursGarolina Camecocks has earned his spursGarolina Camecocks has earned his spursGarolina Camecocks has earned his spurs
Default Re: Freddie Solomon

I thought he died a couple of years ago.
Garolina Camecocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garolina Camecocks View Post
I thought he died a couple of years ago.
Yeah, he died in 2012. They were just talking about him today on 107.5s
morning show because it was his birthday. He would have been 61 today.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Pray anyway
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Many still believe he was the greatest HS player in the history of SC.

I remember when he committed to USC, Paul Dietzel said that it would not necessarily be a bad thing if he dropped back to pass and had to run, instead.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

What an athlete. Just imagine how different Carolina football could have been if he had been admitted back in 1970.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanz View Post
What an athlete. Just imagine how different Carolina football could have been if he had been admitted back in 1970.
Might still be in the ACC.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post

I have been living in Ky for the passed ten years and just moved back to Cola. and did not know. Such a talent..
Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

CockyCash: 1000000500
Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

I know some old timers that officiated many, many games over decades of SC HS ball that say he was the best they'd ever seen.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
carolinacocky
Recruit

Male

carolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPit

I saw Freddie in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas. He scored 5 touchdowns in the game, leading SC over a favored NC. He either ran for 3 & passed for 2 or vice versa. I remember sitting in the stands and laughing as he eluded the defenders. SC's best play was for him to drop back to pass and then improvise. He made NC's athletes look silly at times.

The only other players I have ever seen that made me consistantly laugh like this were Barry Sanders & Johnny Manzell. (and Ace on a couple of punt returns)

I wish he would have been able to play at USC... what fun that would have been.
carolinacocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacocky View Post
I saw Freddie in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas. He scored 5 touchdowns in the game, leading SC over a favored NC. He either ran for 3 & passed for 2 or vice versa. I remember sitting in the stands and laughing as he eluded the defenders. SC's best play was for him to drop back to pass and then improvise. He made NC's athletes look silly at times.

The only other players I have ever seen that made me consistantly laugh like this were Barry Sanders & Johnny Manzell. (and Ace on a couple of punt returns)

I wish he would have been able to play at USC... what fun that would have been.
He held the Shrine Bowl record for the most rushing yards in a game for something like 35 or 40 years and he did that in an era when QB's did not run and the QB's were drop back passers. Ran for 197 yards and three TD's. Just pure athletic talent.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

he was great in his era..its amazing to think that one day clowney will be trumped. it might take 30 yrs, but it will happen.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
too young to die... :(
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacocky View Post
I saw Freddie in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas.
That was the stuff of legends and Freddie was a SC legend. When he played for the 49ers...most people didn't know what he did here when in HS.

And yea, he may have been the greatest athlete to ever play HS FB in SC.

He should have been a Gamecock...ACC can still kiss it.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #15
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

didn't the college he play at cancel football after his senior season?
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

He played at University of Tampa, not sure when they gave up football.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #17
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
He played at University of Tampa, not sure when they gave up football.
the Tampa Bay Bucs came in 1976 and i think University of Tampa dropped football in advance of the Bucs coming
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #18
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/sp...t-59.html?_r=0
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #19
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Thx man great article. Thank you Freddie !!!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:14 AM   #20
Xnex
Blue Chip

Male

Xnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his combXnex is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
Just heard on the Game that Freddie Solomon passed away at the age of 61. Prayers out to his family. I rmember when he bought his mom a home in Sumter right down the street from my house on McRae's Mill Road.
I lived on Westfield Court (off of McRae's Mill) for several years back in the early to mid 90's. Your post brought back some memories for me.
Xnex is offline   Reply With Quote