CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Latti
ReadR00ster
U-Dub Gamecock
rosstheboss
Bobby Boucher
usc1
b381l
roosterdude21
acejrock
NJCocky14
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (8001)
Super-Efficient Ax (323)
South Carolina @ Aub (281)
BREAD (245)
Starz Black Sails (168)
Dress shirt help (167)
2015 - Auden Tate
Josh Cunningham Power For
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
2016 - Greg Little
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
How to cut the mustard
Larenz Bryant update?
What is your perfect egg?
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Connor Mitch

Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material
Default WWII Thread

Post anything you like. Favorite Battles, guns, and or units. I know there are some history buffs on here. So lets get a thread going. So we can talk about it.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
scnative1
Heisman Candidate

Female

CockyCash: 32535700
scnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot materialscnative1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: WWII Thread

Went to dachau. Absolutely weird feeling being there.
scnative1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
SNEEZ
Banned

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Avatar 
CockyCash: 24013420
SNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot materialSNEEZ is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to SNEEZ

I have and always will Admire the rise of Hitler as well as the fall of his regime.

Band of Brothers, IMHO, nails WW2 and the sentiments involved on the head from what my grandfather told me of Normandy and Germany
SNEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Hog
1st Team All-American

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Hey Beer Man 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Hey Beer Man 
CockyCash: 1514690
Hog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot material

I had an uncle that was in the middle of all of it. He had some stories to tell. He was in France walking down a road, his boots were worn out and his feet were wet and cold. He happen to look down in the ditch and noticed a pair of almost new boots. he went to put them on but when he looked inside the feet were still in them. He told the story of being right outside of Berlin when they were told to let the Russians go in. I asked him once how many people did you kill, he told me he had no idea. He served his country well. God bless him.

Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

CockyCash: 200
stiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot material

Old 06-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
pantera17
Banned

Male

pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEEZ View Post
I have and always will Admire the rise of Hitler as well as the fall of his regime.

Band of Brothers, IMHO, nails WW2 and the sentiments involved on the head from what my grandfather told me of Normandy and Germany
I do too. IMO The German Army of WWII is the best the world had ever seen, up until that point. That army is my all time favorite, followed by the army of Rome.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

stiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
I do too. IMO The German Army of WWII is the best the world had ever seen, up until that point. That army is my all time favorite, followed by the army of Rome.
what defines that? (yes, i disagree, respectfully)
Old 06-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1214284
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

I have read so much stuff about WWII it is unreal. One of the campaigns that I have always been fascinated with took place on US soil. Did you know that we fought a long bloody campaign against the Japanese on the Alaskan Aleution islands? I am currently about half way through a book about it and it is extremely interesting to read about these bloody battles that no one ever talks about that happened on US soil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleutian_Islands_Campaign
Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Spurred4Life
Game MVP

Spurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot material

I remember one time talking to my history guy about sub battles, and he was talking about what the US did to combat the Nazi's and I just asked him "what if the nazi's did yadda yadda yadda they would have won right?" He just looked and me and said that he was glad I wasn't alive in Germany at that time.....
Old 06-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
Spurred4Life
Game MVP

Spurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot materialSpurred4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
I have read so much stuff about WWII it is unreal. One of the campaigns that I have always been fascinated with took place on US soil. Did you know that we fought a long bloody campaign against the Japanese on the Alaskan Aleution islands? I am currently about half way through a book about it and it is extremely interesting to read about these bloody battles that no one ever talks about that happened on US soil.

well there are reports I believe of german subs off the northeast coast
Old 06-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Spent a month in Europe as a Junior in college, saw Normandy, Amsterdam, Prague, Krakow and Berlin. Saw more concentration camps than I want to remember, met 2 holocaust survivors. Saw so many things. Best trip of my life.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
the japanese bombed st paul island. i know a few things about the AK battles.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #13
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurred4Life View Post
well there are reports I believe of german subs off the northeast coast
dude, they were 12 miles outside of charleston.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
Spurred4Life
Game MVP

maybe that's where it was but i thought there was one somewhere
Old 06-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #15
pantera17
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffolcock View Post
what defines that? (yes, i disagree, respectfully)
I dont know if you noticed or not, But i said until then. (just saying in case you didnt notice. Not being smart about it). They were far more advanced then any army of its time. And Guns they had then are still good for today's standards. like the mg34 and 42. I believe if we wouldn't have entered the war. Germany and Japan would have won. Or if Hitler wouldnt have invaded the Soviet Union that they would have won even if we did enter the war. 14 million+ in Germans armed forces. thats alot. :)
Old 06-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
I dont know if you noticed or not, But i said until then. (just saying in case you didnt notice. Not being smart about it). They were far more advanced then any army of its time. And Guns they had then are still good for today's standards. like the mg34 and 42. I believe if we wouldn't have entered the war. Germany and Japan would have won. Or if Hitler wouldnt have invaded the Soviet Union that they would have won even if we did enter the war. 14 million+ in Germans armed forces. thats alot. :)
i forgot to bold the "until then" part because i suck at computer stuff. i am not sure the gun defines a "greatest solder". it is one thing to shoot someone, bomb them, push a button and make them go away, i think it is a bit more defining to use close combat (swords) and discipline involved with the armies of caesar, alexander, and the like. just putting that out there....
Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
Spurred4Life
Game MVP

what about the fact of the V1 and V2 rocketry? also keep this in mind if hitler wouldn't have went crazy and started bombing london after the RAF started bombing berlin, and just kept on bombing the RAF then england would have fallen and then he would have been at at our doorstep
Old 06-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #18
Jeff45ACP
I give girls the finger

Male

CockyCash: 6300
Jeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff45ACP

I'll start by saying that Band of Brothers was the best mini-series ever. I don't have anyone in my family or circle of friends that was there, so I look at BoB and other films as an introduction, and I love documentaries and other stuff about WWII.
The main reason I wanted to post though, was just to say that the next rifle I purchase will be a M1 Garand. The way they look, and that awesome 'ping' when the last shell is fired gets me every time, along with the history associated with that rifle. I haven't had the loot to do much lately, so I've had to keep putting it off. I do have a Mosin-Nagant M38/91 that was the Russian infantry rifle in WWII. (If you've ever seen Enemy at the Gates w/ Jude Law, it's the rifle he has at the beginning of the movie.) Kicks worse than my shotgun, and leaves bruises, but it's sweet. A lot of history there, but I still want the M1.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #19
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff45ACP View Post
I'll start by saying that Band of Brothers was the best mini-series ever. I don't have anyone in my family or circle of friends that was there, so I look at BoB and other films as an introduction, and I love documentaries and other stuff about WWII.
The main reason I wanted to post though, was just to say that the next rifle I purchase will be a M1 Garand. The way they look, and that awesome 'ping' when the last shell is fired gets me every time, along with the history associated with that rifle. I haven't had the loot to do much lately, so I've had to keep putting it off. I do have a Mosin-Nagant M38/91 that was the Russian infantry rifle in WWII. (If you've ever seen Enemy at the Gates w/ Jude Law, it's the rifle he has at the beginning of the movie.) Kicks worse than my shotgun, and leaves bruises, but it's sweet. A lot of history there, but I still want the M1.
we need to chat. will send pm tomorrow with lotsa info.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #20
Jeff45ACP
I give girls the finger

Male

CockyCash: 6300
Jeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff45ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffolcock View Post
we need to chat. will send pm tomorrow with lotsa info.
Awesome.