CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
TAFC 5 1981
El Cid Ranger
CoverTwo
B-G
Captain9Dragons
75CarolinaFan
robgusc76
gamecockgal
Gamecockfanatic4
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
SOS Dominating SEC M (707)
Jaguars Justin Black (680)
Kansas to invest $75 (620)
When does fall pract (620)
Spurrier vs Saban (489)
An Air Algerie Fligh (227)
Songs that Didn't ma (217)
Frank Caliendo + Mor (181)
Anyone Switching to (162)
Bonefish Grill
2015 - Ty'Son Williams
2015 - Davante Davis
Spurrier vs Saban
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Minda Kacinas Q&A - G
Kansas to invest $75 mill
Gamecock Showcase Attende
Places to eat in Conway?
Frank Caliendo + Morgan F

Old 01-14-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material
Default I'm thinking about getting a motorcycle soon.

I've always been a Honda guy (I've been riding since I was 6, and my mother was the sales manager at the local Honda shop for a long time), but I'm thinking of going in another direction if I do get another bike soon.

I'm pretty sure I will be choosing between a V-rod Muscle and a V-max. FOr those that might not know, the two bikes mentioned are made by Harley-Davidson and Yamaha, respectively.

Which would you go with, and why?

Here's the V-rod

The vmax
Old 01-14-2014, 12:42 AM   #2
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material
Default Re: I'm thinking about getting a motorcycle soon.

That Vmax is a nice ride.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

Vmax because apparently speed is a concern and it's almost certainly a far better bike. I'll never understand somebody buying a "fast" Harley. It's like trying to buy a fast motorhome.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
Vmax because apparently speed is a concern and it's almost certainly a far better bike. I'll never understand somebody buying a "fast" Harley. It's like trying to buy a fast motorhome.
Honestly, I'll never go faster than the speed limit on either bike (except for POSSIBLY when trying to get on the interstate). I just like the styling of these types of motorcycles, and I've come to these two. But I see what you're saying.

There's a pretty significant difference in the size of the bikes. The max sits about 5 inches higher at the seat, so it's not quite as comfortable. It also has a bigger motor (over 1600 cc v-four vs the 1250 v-twin) and is wider.

It will probably come down to the overall styling I prefer (very close) and which is the most enjoyable ride. I've heard some people say the HD rides more like a cruiser in the way the rider has to reach for pegs and bars and the Yamaha is similar to a "naked" sport bike, but it's more of an upright riding position.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
doc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:56 AM   #6
BleedsGarnet
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
BleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spurs

I'll throw you for a loop. I like comfortable bikes in my advanced age. I have a BMW k1600. The most comfortable bike Ive ridden, beats my old Harley and my Cousins Honda hands down.
BleedsGarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:04 AM   #7
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

I had a Honda for a while, ride a Harley 1200 custom now (but have really always wanted a Triumph Scrambler or Bonneville). All that said, my Dad rides a yamaha and it is a very smooth ride (not a VMax). In other words, I've been no help at all.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #8
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

The Harley looks like it would be a more comfortable fit for me compared to the vmax due to the extra height and width
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #9
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

I almost bought a vrod, took it out on the road and that changed my mind. It was the most uncomfortable bike I have ever sat on. I would rather ride my 07 gsxr 750 on a long ride.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #10
CockinAthens
Behind enemy lines

Male

CockyCash: 382300
CockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot material

Take them both out on a test ride and let that help you
Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1731674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsGarnet View Post
I'll throw you for a loop. I like comfortable bikes in my advanced age. I have a BMW k1600. The most comfortable bike Ive ridden, beats my old Harley and my Cousins Honda hands down.
What Harley did you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
I almost bought a vrod, took it out on the road and that changed my mind. It was the most uncomfortable bike I have ever sat on. I would rather ride my 07 gsxr 750 on a long ride.
ehh...its all in what you are used to, I cant ride a sport bike long because of the seating/controls position, but used to be able to ride a harley all day with no issues
Old 01-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #12
jccgogamecocks
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 475
jccgogamecocks is sharpening his clawsjccgogamecocks is sharpening his clawsjccgogamecocks is sharpening his clawsjccgogamecocks is sharpening his claws

I had a 04 v-rod for a couple of years. Great bike. I loved it! As long as it has forward controls it is like riding a recliner down the road.
jccgogamecocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #13
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsGarnet View Post
I've heard nothing but good things about BMW bikes, so I might look into it. The only thing is I don't think they offer one with the overall style I'm trying to find. But thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #14
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
I had a Honda for a while, ride a Harley 1200 custom now (but have really always wanted a Triumph Scrambler or Bonneville). All that said, my Dad rides a yamaha and it is a very smooth ride (not a VMax). In other words, I've been no help at all.
I think some of the Bonnevilles are beautiful bikes! Very nice standard motorcycle styling.