CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Yearofthegamecock
ReadR00ster
WeStillOwnUSC
TAFC 5 1981
jrussjr
b381l
Sir Cuss
ChickenButt
kick_ball
eightohhthree
Auburn looks beatabl (2731)
Vandy Fans (1659)
Three young corners (1111)
**official Vandy pre (953)
King - South Carolin (835)
Watch ESPN3 regional (708)
Cardinal's Jonathan (683)
No Vandy Predictions (418)
Haven't seen one unb (413)
Hotel in Nashville? (315)
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Auburn looks beatable
Cardinal's Jonathan Dwyer
2016 - Jamie Skalski
Places to watch Carolina
King - South Carolina vs
Vandy Fans
Davis dinged up again?
Waldrop injured
No Vandy Predictions Thre

Old 01-24-2014, 04:37 AM   #21
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit
Default Re: Clowney/Agent to sue?

Ah, the good ole American attitude - "sue 'em"
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #22
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

For the people complaining about our sue happy culture, this is not an case you can use as an example of lawsuit abuse.

1. No lawsuit was filed.
2. Clowney's agent did his job, contacted the owner, and asked him to take down the sign. The owner apparently gave him some crap because the agent had to tell him if he did not remove it, Clowney would seek an injunction (i.e., no claim for money damages) to have it removed.
3. The owner agreed to voluntarily remove it on Monday.
4. The owner called the media and made it into a media event, probably to generate free publicity, and spin it to make Clowney look petty.

The wrong here was by the owner. But the good news is that the wrong was rememedied without a lawsuit.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #23
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
For the people complaining about our sue happy culture, this is not an case you can use as an example of lawsuit abuse.

1. No lawsuit was filed.
2. Clowney's agent did his job, contacted the owner, and asked him to take down the sign. The owner apparently gave him some crap because the agent had to tell him if he did not remove it, Clowney would seek an injunction (i.e., no claim for money damages) to have it removed.
3. The owner agreed to voluntarily remove it on Monday.
4. The owner called the media and made it into a media event, probably to generate free publicity, and spin it to make Clowney look petty.

The wrong here was by the owner. But the good news is that the wrong was rememedied without a lawsuit.
Sounds like the Sub Shop owner is trying to get some free advertisement of his business by going to the media over this. Sorry, A.N., but this guy won't ever see a dime of my money....I umpire a bunch in Rock Hill, I'll go somewhere else to eat.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:52 AM   #24
53fan
Blue Chip

Male

53fan is making other chickens nervous53fan is making other chickens nervous53fan is making other chickens nervous53fan is making other chickens nervous53fan is making other chickens nervous53fan is making other chickens nervous53fan is making other chickens nervous53fan is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
I know the owner.

He's not a "tater", he's a good guy that always has a funny saying on his sign. Nothing more nothing less.

No big deal.
I agree. He picks at everybody to generate business. It's a tiny, local sub shop. He's a good guy. Everybody in RH looks forward to seeing what goes up next.
woo:
53fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #25
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

if subway had tv ads and in store promos, then yeah, get nasty because it would be seen nationally. However, the only people who would see the sign in question would be rock hill residents. Why not take it for what it is and leave it be if it helps a guy sell subs in your home town?
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #26
MillerTime43
Walk On

Male

MillerTime43 has hatched from the shell

In reality, there is nothing illegal about it. Someone's name is not intellectual property. This is very common. See the Ben "Roethlisberger" sandwhich in Pittsburgh. Also, there is an Irish bar just outside of the Panthers stadium, which every item on their menu is actually named after players.

In reading the story, he doesn't even have a sandwich named after Clowney. He also explains that this happened 14 years ago with Mel Gibson. Gibson's agent NEVER threatened to sue, because there is nothing illegal about it. Instead, asked him to change the wording to shed a better light on Gibson, which the sub owner did.

Also reading this article, it looks like he will change the message but NOT take Clowney's name down. The only think Cook could do is file an injunction, which may or may not get granted. The sub owner could then file to momentarily get the injunction lifted, which he would. Then it would come down to is Cook interested in fighting that battle which he probably would ultimately lose since the sub owner has a LONG history of doing this, with very little issues. He has used Jake Delhomme's name poking fun at him. He has used Stephon Gilmore's name and this is not the first that JD's name has been used. He has also used the Carolina Panthers name in poking fun.
http://www.wrhi.com/2014/01/agent-fo...-marquee-89504

http://www.wrhi.com/2014/01/palmetto...-ruffalo-89535
MillerTime43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #27
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Who the hell wants to go to Rock Hill anyway.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #28
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
Sounds like the Sub Shop owner is trying to get some free advertisement of his business by going to the media over this. Sorry, A.N., but this guy won't ever see a dime of my money....I umpire a bunch in Rock Hill, I'll go somewhere else to eat.
lol really? Man, this is serious stuff.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #29
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime43 View Post
In reality, there is nothing illegal about it. Someone's name is not intellectual property. This is very common. See the Ben "Roethlisberger" sandwhich in Pittsburgh. Also, there is an Irish bar just outside of the Panthers stadium, which every item on their menu is actually named after players.

In reading the story, he doesn't even have a sandwich named after Clowney. He also explains that this happened 14 years ago with Mel Gibson. Gibson's agent NEVER threatened to sue, because there is nothing illegal about it. Instead, asked him to change the wording to shed a better light on Gibson, which the sub owner did.

Also reading this article, it looks like he will change the message but NOT take Clowney's name down. The only think Cook could do is file an injunction, which may or may not get granted. The sub owner could then file to momentarily get the injunction lifted, which he would. Then it would come down to is Cook interested in fighting that battle which he probably would ultimately lose since the sub owner has a LONG history of doing this, with very little issues. He has used Jake Delhomme's name poking fun at him. He has used Stephon Gilmore's name and this is not the first that JD's name has been used. He has also used the Carolina Panthers name in poking fun.
http://www.wrhi.com/2014/01/agent-fo...-marquee-89504

http://www.wrhi.com/2014/01/palmetto...-ruffalo-89535
South Carolina recognizes as a tort the wrongful appropriation of personality. The law is murky. However, I don't think you can say definitively this action was not illegal, particularly when the obvious goal of the owner's message is exploiting Clowney's name, in his home town, for a commercial basis.

He did the right thing by agreeing to change the message on his sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga dawg View Post
if subway had tv ads and in store promos, then yeah, get nasty because it would be seen nationally. However, the only people who would see the sign in question would be rock hill residents. Why not take it for what it is and leave it be if it helps a guy sell subs in your home town?
I agree. I bet if the guy would offer Clowney a reasonable fee for using his name, JD would be really happy to agree with some non-demeaning use of his name.

Shaq Attack
Old 01-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #30
JohnnyMc
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 200
JohnnyMc has hatched from the shell

Who wants to go to Rock Hill?..about every recruiter in the South.I also know know the owner of Subway and a nicer guy I have never met.
JohnnyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #31
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

I remember when people used to feel honored if someone named a sandwich after them. Now it seems like everybody who is famous has to be paid for every little thing that is remotely associated with them. I understand that it's 99.99% greedy agents worried about getting their cut, but I think it's pretty ridiculous. I can see an issue if someone makes a false claim like this is the officlal sub of "Insert Athlete's Name Here" or endorsed by, but just naming a sub after somebody. Give me an effing break. Is anybody going to even order a sub just because it's named after Clowney anyway? Personally I'm going to eat a sub based on what it tastes like.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #32
JohnnyMc
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 200
JohnnyMc has hatched from the shell

Sorry,I meant to type Sub Station 2,he is not affiliated with Subway.
JohnnyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #33
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

To be clear, he didn't actually name a sandwich after him, he just made a joke on a sign.

There are more important areas at which to direct your outrage.

B-G please stay wherever the hell you are. I'm sure it's paradise.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #34
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

If the agent was to let that slide, where does it end? Should most definitely sue. Have to send a message that this won't be tolerated.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #35
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

I thought these Fox News styled headlines were against board policy.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #36
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
If the agent was to let that slide, where does it end? Should most definitely sue. Have to send a message that this won't be tolerated.
So should athletes now start suing newspapers for using their names in articles. As far as I know they don't pay athletes to use their names and they are clearly trying to profit from the use of them.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #37
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I thought these Fox News styled headlines were against board policy.
Kind of like politics out of the PF as well?
ShutTheSuccop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #38
Master Bedroom
Two Deep

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

The Apocalypse will not be the end of the world. It will be the day when Jesus returns to earth and sues all of the dry cleaners that use his likeness for catchy slogans on their signs. This is just the beginning..
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #39
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
I remember when people used to feel honored if someone named a sandwich after them. Now it seems like everybody who is famous has to be paid for every little thing that is remotely associated with them. I understand that it's 99.99% greedy agents worried about getting their cut, but I think it's pretty ridiculous. I can see an issue if someone makes a false claim like this is the officlal sub of "Insert Athlete's Name Here" or endorsed by, but just naming a sub after somebody. Give me an effing break. Is anybody going to even order a sub just because it's named after Clowney anyway? Personally I'm going to eat a sub based on what it tastes like.
Yeah, musicians should be honored when I download their music for free from napster. I am listenting to their tunes! Greedy musicians want to get paid for their music. I paid for the CD. I see nothing wrong with copying it, giving it to all my friends for free, and posting a link on the Net so everyone who has it can download it.

Shaq Attack
Old 01-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #40
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Yeah, musicians should be honored when I download their music for free from napster. I am listenting to their tunes! Greedy musicians want to get paid for their music. I paid for the CD. I see nothing wrong with copying it, giving it to all my friends for free, and posting a link on the Net so everyone who has it can download it.
That's totally different than this situation though. If we were talking about using an athlete's likeness on merchandise or something like that then ok, but this is different. Stealing music is causing a direct loss of income from the artist, how is putting an athlete's name on a sandwich board causing any kind of financial harm to the athlete?