CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GamecockGuardsman
robgusc76
SMOTFS86
sflgc
Big Spur
GregoryHouse
Spurticus
kingofnerf
MisterClowney
cockybreeyan
Connor to be backup? (2764)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (1168)
Miami Beach Bowl Thr (1078)
Carolina ranked #21 (1022)
Connor to start agai (973)
Gotta get Agent 0 go (824)
Marcus coming home (590)
Most Impactful Peopl (496)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (495)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (444)
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Marcus coming home
Greatest Gamecock Players
Miami Beach Bowl Thread
Arizona Cardinals QB situ
Carolina ranked #21 prese
Players to The Draft
Connor to start against R
Denver/Cincy MNF Thread
The Vent and Coaching cha

Old 01-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #21
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Re: Starting a suit wardrobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedCock View Post
This weekend is BUY 1 GET 3 FREE at JAB
Of course you buy the first for full retail ($700-$800), but for four suits you get a steal!
If you have $1,000 to start your wardrobe (after taxes and alternations), I'd go there.
Don't forget….a variety of shirts and ties can change the suit. White shirt and tie on Monday and colored shirt and tie on Thursday….no one knows the difference.
Also, I pay for the permanent creases in the suits. It'll save the shape and ultimately lower the cost of needing it pressed and dry cleaned as often
This is kind of what I was thinking. I saw TKE also mentioned 2 suits for $250 from JAB?! Do they run that deal regularly? That sounds like an amazing value. I've never heard of it, like I have the 4 for 1 deal that they advertise regularly.

Also, good points about changing up the shirt and tie combinations. That's the kind of info I was looking for as far as how to get the most out of the limited amount of suits that I plan to purchase.

This leads me to another question- the best places to buy shirts and ties. Buying 10 ties at $50... gets pretty expensive! Also, I like the more stylish, form fitting shirts (not skin tight, but not much bagginess).

I have a lot of specific preferences and I'm kind of OCD about how my clothing fits... especially for someone who doesn't have many nice clothes haha
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #22
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
This is kind of what I was thinking. I saw TKE also mentioned 2 suits for $250 from JAB?! Do they run that deal regularly? That sounds like an amazing value. I've never heard of it, like I have the 4 for 1 deal that they advertise regularly.
They run those deals fairly regularly AND you can get a discount even further by getting their coupons online. If you get on their mailing list, the coupons are completely worth it.

Joseph Bank = extreme bang for your buck.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #23
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by etowngangsta View Post
I will just add that you can wear the same suit twice in a week if you wear different shirts and tie/shoes with it. Just get a couple blue shirts and a couple white shirts and maybe a couple with a pattern of some sort. Another idea is get different cuffs/collars.

another idea is get a suit with a vest and wear it with the vest sometimes and without some.

Also if you get a pair of khaki colored pants you can wear them with just about any jacket and look good.

Just wanted to give a couple ideas to give some variety and get more bang for your buck. You don't actually have to have 20 different suits to make it look like you do.
Thanks for the info. Again, this is what I was looking for as far as how to maximize the wardrobe. I knew there had to be some way around buying a suit for every day of the week haha.

I like the suits with vests. The one that I recently purchased from MW has a vest and I think it really adds a bit of extra classiness/refinement to the outfit.

When you say to get different cuffs/collars, what do you mean exactly?
Old 01-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #24
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
They run those deals fairly regularly AND you can get a discount even further by getting their coupons online. If you get on their mailing list, the coupons are completely worth it.

Joseph Bank = extreme bang for your buck.
I'm on Men's Wearhouse's mailing list so I imagine the mailing campaign must be pretty similar. They send me promotional information and coupons probably multiple times a day with large percentage discounts. I'm going to look into signing up with JAB.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #25
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 26065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Again, this is what I was looking for as far as how to maximize the wardrobe. I knew there had to be some way around buying a suit for every day of the week haha.

I like the suits with vests. The one that I recently purchased from MW has a vest and I think it really adds a bit of extra classiness/refinement to the outfit.

When you say to get different cuffs/collars, what do you mean exactly?
I understood what you were asking....you ballin on a budget like me lol.

You can get french cuffs or regular cuffs for shirts. You will need cuff links to wear french. There are other styles but those are the major ones.

Shirt collars have 4 or 5 different styles too. Different cuts but also with buttons or without etc. Also, I like the look of a blue shirt with a white collar.

Wearing a fresh pressed 3 piece suit with a shirt with new cuff links is fun to me, lol. And people notice you.
etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #26
spareparts
Banned

Male

spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm on Men's Wearhouse's mailing list so I imagine the mailing campaign must be pretty similar. They send me promotional information and coupons probably multiple times a day with large percentage discounts. I'm going to look into signing up with JAB.
Okay I know it is risky because they will send unsolicited catalogs from other places, but I have bought some very inexpensive stuff there with the coupons.

I actually like their ties too. Nice alternative to the pricy stuff you get at the mall. AND I don't want to open up a can of worms here, but I don't think the Vineyard Vines look goes with a business suit, and I like having more professional ties. Like striped ones

I don't think the small-logo Vineyard Vines style is good for a suit unless its a seer sucker suit and you live in Savannah
Old 01-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #27
soccerguy79
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 465
soccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervous

Yeah you can really mix and match shirts ties and suits. You can find a wide variety of sales on ties. Sometimes nice mens dress stores run deals like by one get one free as well. The Brooks Brothers outlet in Gaffney has everything 50%, so did their main store in Greenville. Usualy a blue, white or sometype of striped or plaid blue white shirts are good are good to go with a variety of ties. You can also mix up shoes, brown goes with just about every suit as well as black. Cordovan is a good color shoe as we.
soccerguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #28
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Quote:
Okay I know it is risky because they will send unsolicited catalogs from other places, but I have bought some very inexpensive stuff there with the coupons.

I actually like their ties too. Nice alternative to the pricy stuff you get at the mall. AND I don't want to open up a can of worms here, but I don't think the Vineyard Vines look goes with a business suit, and I like having more professional ties. Like striped ones

I don't think the small-logo Vineyard Vines style is good for a suit unless its a seer sucker suit and you live in Savannah
I think I understand what you mean... basically, you don't think shirts with a chest logo should be worn with a suit (i.e. lacoste, polo, etc). I agree. Plus, that approach saves me the trouble of having to spend extra $$$ for a shirt with a certain logo.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #29
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Do any of you guys get your shirts tailored as well? Is that normal? I'm wanting slim fit suits I think, so I want to make sure that my shirts complement them. I've bought some shirts from banana republic that I felt like fit me well enough, but when I wear them with slim fit pants, I feel like I look like I'm performing in a Shakespeare play... poofy AF haha
Old 01-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #30
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Meant to mention.....the JAB buy 1 get 3 free is a great deal. BUT you will have to pay to get the suits altered there, which obviously they inflate a little. Still a great deal...just an FYI.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #31
uscgmck
I'm Baaacck

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

Just a thought go by Gentleman's Closet in 5-Points and see the owner Dean Ellison. Retired top salesman for Florsheim shoes for decades. Understands better clothing, depending on timing he has designer suits from a lot of brands. Most because of cost and previous owner look new. My son has picked up a few there and they look great.
Tell him Henry from Mississippi sent you see if it helps the price.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #32
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material

Quote:
Do any of you guys get your shirts tailored as well? Is that normal? I'm wanting slim fit suits I think, so I want to make sure that my shirts complement them. I've bought some shirts from banana republic that I felt like fit me well enough, but when I wear them with slim fit pants, I feel like I look like I'm performing in a Shakespeare play... poofy AF haha
I know Tom James and Granger Owings special make shirts. Granger owings is locally owned if that matters. Google should find their contact info.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #33
spareparts
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by etowngangsta View Post
I know Tom James and Granger Owings special make shirts. Granger owings is locally owned if that matters. Google should find their contact info.
Granger Owings is a kickass store but I am out of their price range.

Same goes for Ben Silver's. I wish I had that kind of drobe.

Quote:
I think I understand what you mean... basically, you don't think shirts with a chest logo should be worn with a suit (i.e. lacoste, polo, etc). I agree. Plus, that approach saves me the trouble of having to spend extra $$$ for a shirt with a certain logo.
Exactly... I mean a logo-type shirt is great for casual, but business suits should be less beach-y.

The Joseph Bank shirts - you have a choice of fitted and not fitted (looser) and they are GOOD SHIRTS. Much better quality than the mall.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #34
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

Quote:
Granger Owings is a kickass store but I am out of their price range.

Same goes for Ben Silver's. I wish I had that kind of drobe.

Exactly... I mean a logo-type shirt is great for casual, but business suits should be less beach-y.

The Joseph Bank shirts - you have a choice of fitted and not fitted (looser) and they are GOOD SHIRTS. Much better quality than the mall.
I have a few suits from GO. They are so freaking comfortable.

That's another thing to add OP...save money for a while and splurge on one really nice suit. Even if it takes a year. It's worth it IMO.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #35
soccerguy79
Blue Chip

Male

soccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervous

Alot of dress shirts you can buy in slim or atheletic cut, they look alot better bc they are not baggy.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #36
BigRedCock
↓Little Marcus Lattimore↓

Male

CockyCash: 1700
BigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPit

You don't have to go to JAB to buy shirts and ties. Not a big value there. You can find fitted or tailored shirts anywhere. Don't overspend on basics like a plain white or light blue shirt. But do buy things that fit.
You can also find good ties for cheap at Marshall's or Stein mart.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #37
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

Not a guy obviously, but it's a fashion thread so I'm chiming in.

Make sure you get good, quality dress shoes to wear with your suits. A cheap looking pair of shoes will kill even the best suit. Don't neglect to wear a coordinating belt, a nicer tie, and dress socks, too. It's the attention to details that really make an outfit.
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #38
soccerguy79
Blue Chip

Male

I like nice dress shirts that are wrinkle and dry clean free. Alot of nice dress shirts do not get the brown ring around the neck as fast either. ENRO is a really good one.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #39
spareparts
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockMomSC View Post
Not a guy obviously, but it's a fashion thread so I'm chiming in.

Make sure you get good, quality dress shoes to wear with your suits. A cheap looking pair of shoes will kill even the best suit. Don't neglect to wear a coordinating belt, a nicer tie, and dress socks, too. It's the attention to details that really make an outfit.

Awesome point - I found a pair of Alden shoes on eBay for under 100 bucks. They're like 500 usually and they are built to last.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #40
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

SO I just wrote this long post and must have hit something because it didn't show up and I am annoyed.

ANyway JAB has crazy marketing (buy 1 get 20 free, etc). The first is at full price so be prepared to shell it out. But you can get different sizes in suits so if its buy 1 get 3 free, you can get a buddy to go in with you and you can each get two suits so further incentive for you. Go for black, blue, a charcoal pinstipe, and maybe a gray or olive to mix it up.

Ties - JAB has some really nice ties, but they are also $70-$90. I personally wont pay that much. I have a few from gifts given to me, but I find that your local dept store is just as good and much cheaper. I personally hate the Ryan Seacrest skinny, single color tie, but that's just me.

Shirts - definitely get blues and whites. Cant have enough white shirts...you will spill things on them, get ring around the collar, etc...I go with Banks Travler shirts. They are a bit more, but you can wash them in your washer and dry them in your dryer. Saves on dry cleaning (which I think is a scam). And they don't wrinkle, trust me. Get some pattern too...don't be the guy with only white shirts.

I own a few French cuff shirts. Which I like but are really for certain occasions or business trips. For example I've done work with clients where they do things a little bit more laid back and I think the French cuffs come off as a bit stuck up...like I am better than everyone. But whatever.

And another aside I thought I saw/heard something that JAB's marketing was coming under fire from the feds...because the stuff is always on sale, so why not just mark it all down and not have sales all the time...kinda odd marketing if you ask me. Again I could wrong about it, but I remember someone telling me about it.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote