CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
GarnetSwarm1990
Sandstorm29
Spurticus
NinjaSven
Jim Lahey
Storm Of Spurs
roosterdude21
donbgamecock
kingofnerf
So, why is next year (2633)
How Long Will The Re (1761)
Why do so many of yo (1277)
Restaurant musts in (1227)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (915)
Shot in the arm for (912)
Custom Jersey (517)
5 Gourmet Foods That (406)
Abu Bowl Ready (316)
looks like we have 2 (263)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
The Vent and Coaching cha
Shot in the arm for the D
Nosovitch/bowl/ question.
How Long Will The Rebuild
Why do so many of you guy
5 Gourmet Foods That Used

Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default WiFi Range Extension?

What are the options we have today for extending the signal?

The new house I purchased is pretty large and we don't get a signal in the back bedroom...which is our bedroom. This poses a big problem because we only watch the Roku in the bedroom.

I know there are range extenders. I also know there are something like power over ethernet as well.

What is the best option today and the cheapest? I'd also like something practical and don't want to run cables anywhere. We also can't move the current router because 90% of the internet access is done in the side of the house it currently is in place.

Thoughts? Experiences with each?

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material
Default Re: WiFi Range Extension?

Take a beer can
cut the bottom off
cut it from the bottom to the top
open it up wide
take the can and turn it upside down
put the opening of the can over the router antenna with the open side facing outwards
you just increased your signal range

BTW, empty that beer can first

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Take a beer can
cut the bottom off
cut it from the bottom to the top
open it up wide
take the can and turn it upside down
put the opening of the can over the router antenna with the open side facing outwards
you just increased your signal range

BTW, empty that beer can first

does this also increase signal strength...
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

I use have my main router on onse side of the house. Use a powerline adaptor to get to where the den TV. Then I have a secondary router there with the same network name and login. Works great and I get good signal in the entire house.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Go with Spur's [powerline suggestion.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

If you want the best free, cheap, and or expensive ways to do this, here is a great article

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewe...28&po=1,00.asp

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
cbhph2003
Walk On

CockyCash: 500
cbhph2003 has hatched from the shell

http://www.ubnt.com/picostation
cbhph2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhph2003 View Post
Can you explain how this works? I don't see a lot of information on their website or from Google searches.

I am fairly tech savvy and this seems to have great reviews.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
I use have my main router on onse side of the house. Use a powerline adaptor to get to where the den TV. Then I have a secondary router there with the same network name and login. Works great and I get good signal in the entire house.
I know this is an older thread, but I just recently got a chance to tackle the situation...and I went with Ethernet Over Power, which is what I assume you meant by a powerline adapter. Works beautifully...sent it to the kitchen, which is in the middle of my home and added a WAP to provide signal all over the home.

Question though: should I disable the wireless radio of my other router or keep both going? Wonder if they will interfere with each other or maybe I should put them on different channels or something? Right now, I turned it off and just left the WAP on.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

They also make repeaters or wifi extenders. This is what I have. You just place it within range of your main router and it extends the range in that direction.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
d20636
Haven't seen your acid...

Male

CockyCash: 1360
d20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockadoo View Post
They also make repeaters or wifi extenders. This is what I have. You just place it within range of your main router and it extends the range in that direction.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...del=TL-WA850RE
Probably comparable to the Netlink. The TP-Link has an ethernet port as well, meaning you could attach a wired device (eg; ethernet printer without wifi). Plugs into the wall...easy. Repeaters are great for extending the wireless coverage, EOP is great for extended the wired network - no real need to pull CAT5 through the house anymore, just consume one outlet or add an extra (as you would add a RJ45 outlet).

As for radios - you have a wan router with wifi, that is connected to the EOP and a WAP that connects to EOP elsewhere?

If so, radios shouldn't bother each other - you could set them to different channels... I assume both advertise the same SSID? Worst case your devices switch APs as you walk through the house, which is what they're designed to do...no prob.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
gamecockjay
Blue Chip

Male

gamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockadoo View Post

I have one of these at the lake. My neighbor 2 houses over lets me bootleg his wifi since we are only there on the weekends and this thing is unreal. My internet is faster there than at my home. Very easy to set up and use.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #13
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

From my understanding, the reason I went with Ethernet Over Power adapters plugged into wall outlets with a WAN attached to the other end OVER a repeater was signal power and strength.

I read that if you have a router broadcasting, say, 200mbps and then use a repeater...it is already getting a weaker signal of that 200mbps and then using bandwidth to duplicate and repeat it out...which you may have lost 75% speed by then.

With the EoP, I have the exact same signal strength and even further range.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #14
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by d20636 View Post
As for radios - you have a wan router with wifi, that is connected to the EOP and a WAP that connects to EOP elsewhere?

If so, radios shouldn't bother each other - you could set them to different channels... I assume both advertise the same SSID? Worst case your devices switch APs as you walk through the house, which is what they're designed to do...no prob.
I'm assuming you meant to direct this question towards me, since I asked about it?

But yes, that is my setup. I have ethernet cable running from my Verizon FiOS router to a EOP device next to it....then in the middle of the house, a receiving EOP plugged into an outlet with a cable from it to a WAP.

I currently have the Verizon FiOS wireless radio turned off...just the WAP broadcasting.

Can I improve my situation?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #15
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material
Default WiFi Range Extension?

Leaving WiFi radios on should not be an issue. You do need to make sure only one device is doing the actual 'routing' - (direct directing the traffic)The WAPs downstream should be in bridge mode to simple pass along the information.

It causes problems when you have more then one router in your network trying to direct the traffic

Last edited by Spur's Addiction; 01-22-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Spur's Addiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #16
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

^^

Yeah, my WAP is only broadcasting from the actual router at the original point of signal/connection.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #17
d20636
Haven't seen your acid...

Male

CockyCash: 1360
d20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
I'm assuming you meant to direct this question towards me, since I asked about it?

But yes, that is my setup. I have ethernet cable running from my Verizon FiOS router to a EOP device next to it....then in the middle of the house, a receiving EOP plugged into an outlet with a cable from it to a WAP.

I currently have the Verizon FiOS wireless radio turned off...just the WAP broadcasting.

Can I improve my situation?
As Spur's points out - no prob with both radios on. If your WAP is just that - simply an access point then you should be fine. If it's a wireless router you'll have probs (as Spur's also points out).

So I guess my message is - what Spur's said!

(If the WAP is just a WAP - turn the FiOS on and get a broader footprint...as long as it's not unsecured and the 15 yr old next door can't suck down all your bandwidth downloading who knows what - well - we pretty much know what he was downloading...lesson learned quickly.)
Old 01-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #18
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

^^^

Good deal, that is what I was thinking...spread the footprint out even more. Buddy of mine just seemed to think they would conflict with each other.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #19
usc_yogi
Two Deep

Male

usc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPit

I always wondered if the Powerline stuff worked well for internet. I used to have my gaming setup in my FROG and could never get a good wifi signal up there. One of these days when my in-laws move out of there I am moving things back up there and need a good internet solution. I use something similar for additional phone jacks in my house since the house only had two phone jacks in it.
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 AM   #20
riceatusc
Misses Old Cockytalk

Male

CockyCash: 305013227
riceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to riceatusc Send a message via MSN to riceatusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_yogi View Post
I always wondered if the Powerline stuff worked well for internet. I used to have my gaming setup in my FROG and could never get a good wifi signal up there. One of these days when my in-laws move out of there I am moving things back up there and need a good internet solution. I use something similar for additional phone jacks in my house since the house only had two phone jacks in it.
I used to have a powerline adapter for my Xbox because it got weak wireless signal in my living room. I went from lagging in every game, to having the best connection in more games. they work very well