CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
StormOfTalons
Master Bedroom
Acockolypse Now
Rooster'srule
sanford
El Cid Ranger
b381l
cocksmith1or11
Order 66
Backup QB competitio (2642)
2014 Preseason USA T (1267)
Ranking the SEC Fema (780)
Anyone heard anythin (721)
Future Non-Conferenc (628)
Spurrier on the cove (411)
What Would You Do? (393)
Ranking the SEC scho (304)
Tupelo Honey Cafe (225)
Ranking the SEC Fema (222)
Musburger/Palmer to comme
Hello Gamecocks!
Anyone heard anything abo
2014 Signee - Joe Blue
An Aggies View of the Mat
Backup QB competition
2015 - Albert Huggins
Dustin Johnson taking a l
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
Cheap jersey and very nic

Old 01-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material
Default Discussion on the Steve Spurrier-G.A. Mangus-Connor Shaw relationship

While another Connor Shaw thread may seem to be overdone, thereís a chapter in Gamecock football history that we just finished that I think we would be remiss to not acknowledge:

There has been a noticeable and quite enjoyable change in the way Steve Spurrier (SOS) has publicly addressed his QBs starting around the time Connor Shaw became our full time starter. Most of us know winning plays a big part of this, but I believe things are much deeper than that.

It's quite obvious SOS is happy right now and enjoying being a HBC. The play of his QBs is a big a part of this and his praise and admiration for his QBs the past few years has been exceptional.

We all know SOS has always been vocal about his QBs. This is part of his legacy and everyone knows this is just SOS being SOS. We also remember (if we choose to) all too well the public criticism that was handed out to guys like Blake Mitchell, Stephen Garcia and a few times to Chris Smelley. Blake and Stephen got the brunt of most of it and maybe deserved it.
SOS was the QB coach and was always in their ear on the sidelines during games. This is the way SOS did things until he hired G.A. Mangus in Jan 2009.

Prior to í09, our QB coach was the son of one of SOSí old buds (John Reaves). Give SOS credit for giving the reigns of recruiting, coaching, managing, and developing his QBs after realizing something needed to be done. The QB carousel from the í08 season combined with Chris Smelleyís abrupt departure is one of the few dark spots on SOSí legacy as the Gamecock HBC.

When SOS hired G.A. Mangus away from Rick Stockstill/MTSU, I didnít think much of it and took a very cynical view of it all. I was very wrong and gladly admit it.

What we got with G.A. Mangus was a noticeable upgrade:

Former walk-on player and asst. coach at UF who knew SOSí FuníníGun offense both as a player and as coach.

Was HBC at Delaware Valley College for 3 years with 33-4 record.

OC at MTSU which featured a dual threat QB out of the spread including elements of the zone plays that are currently part of our offense. G.A. along with Shawn Elliott are directly responsible for the changes in our offense that has occurred over the past 5 seasons. Give Marcus Lattimore and Connor Shaw credit for convincing SOS that he could win with these changes to his offense.

Experienced QB coach who not only has played for SOS, but coached under him as well as developed QBs on his own.

Excellent recruiter and likely no one saw this coming.

There needs to be a line drawn in our QB recruiting, coaching, and developing starting with the time we hired G.A. Mangus. G.A.ís first cycle of recruiting got us Connor Shaw and Dylan Thompson. It should be noted that Connor and Dylan were considered 3 and 2 star recruits with Connor having a few major offers and Dylan only having the one from USC.
In contrast, Blake Mitchell, Chris Smelley, and Stephen Garcia all were considered 4 star recruits with multiple offers including several SEC offers. It also should be noted that so far, only one QB recruited under SOS completed all of his eligibility while at USC: Connor Shaw. I will always believe our QB coaching was a big part of this.

There is clearly a different relationship to QBs at USC since G.A. came here and the difference in the W-L records as well as Top 10 finishes is a byproduct. G.A. also recruits a different kind of QB than his predecessor, specifically noting the character and work ethic elements. While Connor has a unique style of play compared to the typical SOS QB, even Dylan Thompson has done well and has elevated his game way beyond that of a 2 star recruit.

And yet this all goes back to SOS: He is now winning games by adapting after years and years of having his QBs fit a certain mold. Until Connor Shaw, SOS never had a running QB who could consistently make plays with his legs as well as the normal ways. It took not only G.A. Mangus, but Connor Shaw as well to enlighten SOS to what needed to be done to his offense to win.

- Give SOS credit for hiring and empowering G.A. Mangus as his QB coach and OC assistant. While this may have been bore out of frustration and obvious need, this piece of Gamecock football history needs to be remembered.

- Give G.A. Mangus credit for his influence on the offense, recruiting certain types of QBs, developing those QBs and being the much needed buffer between SOS and his QBs.

- Give Connor Shaw credit for being the disciplined coachís son with an outstanding work ethic. He was talented and determined enough to develop his skills at QB, that he became the best and winningest Gamecock QB ever.

- Give Dylan Thompson similar credit, while his story is still being written. I hope he is part of a lineage of Gamecock QBs who continue what Connor has done for Gamecock football.

I have enjoyed the three-peat 11 win seasons/Top 10 finishes, but I have also enjoyed the quality of our QBs and how well their relationships with our coaches have been.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
RudeCock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 250000
RudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Discussion on the Steve Spurrier-G.A. Mangus-Connor Shaw relationship

Give the two QBs credit for being there for each other, always rooting the other on when one was needed over the other. Their bond is not seen much between QBs on the same team. Everyone loves to win but these guys loved to see each other win as well.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
Kazak
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit
Default Re: Discussion on the Steve Spurrier-G.A. Mangus-Connor Shaw relationship

The OP makes some excellent points about G.A.'s positive impact on the program. I tend to agree. But G.A.'s apparent success with QBs here still boils down to the results of a single QB at this point: Connor Shaw. If Thompson, Nosovitch and/or Mitch reach a similar level of excellence over the next few seasons, then G.A. is definitely the man.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

247's recent interview with our new QB recruit (don't remember how to spell his last name) leads me to believe GA is our actual offensive coordinator.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #5
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

I really enjoyed reading your post.

Blake Mitchell was recruited by Lou Holtz and was not used properly or maybe he was not coached up enough during that time. When SOS got here and allowed Blake to play we did not have an offensive line that could block for him most of the time. I have often wondered how good Blake could have been if he could have came here now and red-shirted under our system and had G.A. Mangus to bring him along. With the O-Line that we have now Blake would have been a much better QB.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:04 AM   #6
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Here is Shaw's Scout.com recruiting profile

2010 Scout.com HS Football Rankings (full list):
Pos: QB Pos Rank: #31 Pos Rating:

Scout.com Player Evaluation:
STRENGTHS
Accuracy / Consistency
Poise and Leadership
Running Ability / Mobility
AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
Arm Strength
Size
Shaw is a leader on the football field and he is a true general under center. He does not have the ideal size of a quarterback and he can improve his arm strength, but he does a lot of things well. He is an accurate passer with good mobility. He keeps plays alive with his legs and does a good job of keeping his eyes down field. He is a good fit for a spread offense. - South Recruiting Manager

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #7
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Here is Shaw's Scout.com recruiting profile

2010 Scout.com HS Football Rankings (full list):
Pos: QB Pos Rank: #31 Pos Rating:

Scout.com Player Evaluation:
STRENGTHS
Accuracy / Consistency
Poise and Leadership
Running Ability / Mobility
AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
Arm Strength
Size
Shaw is a leader on the football field and he is a true general under center. He does not have the ideal size of a quarterback and he can improve his arm strength, but he does a lot of things well. He is an accurate passer with good mobility. He keeps plays alive with his legs and does a good job of keeping his eyes down field. He is a good fit for a spread offense. - South Recruiting Manager

on the money
Old 01-27-2014, 12:39 AM   #8
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

I think Syvelle helped, too. When we were having trouble with the O-line, Syvelle stepped in at QB and helped us out. His mobility helped keep us in some games. If I had to think of the inception of this idea, Syvelle was the moment and Mangus/Elliot/Shaw were the ones to take it to a new level.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:07 AM   #9
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Solid post. Very well done.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:18 AM   #10
gamecockguy
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Syvelle is the reason Spurrier started looking around for mobile QBs when our oline couldn't stop a 7th grade JV squad from getting in the backfield.

I do agree that Mangus has played a vital role in the QB development the past few years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
247's recent interview with our new QB recruit (don't remember how to spell his last name) leads me to believe GA is our actual offensive coordinator.
Mangus and Elliot do have the co-offensive coordinator titles and assist in the playcalling.
gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:21 AM   #11
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

I really liked the line that "Mangus acts as a buffer between Spurrier and his QB." That's invaluable because Mangus knows exactly how to handle both sides
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:37 AM   #12
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

To me syvelle deserves credit for showing spurrier what having a mobile qb could do
Old 01-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #13
carolinafan53186
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

carolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot material

I can't believe no one has mentioned one of the biggest problems before GA got here. Mud is his name and he didn't coach very much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #14
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

GA "Magic Man" Mangus is a good coach, has an eye spotting good HS QBs, and is a good recruiter. He is not the OC though. At least no more than Elliott or Jr. Mangus also seems to be a guy for whom his players love to play. He did a good job of mentoring Garcia through a ridiculous media firestorm.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #15
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
I really enjoyed reading your post.

Blake Mitchell was recruited by Lou Holtz and was not used properly or maybe he was not coached up enough during that time. When SOS got here and allowed Blake to play we did not have an offensive line that could block for him most of the time. I have often wondered how good Blake could have been if he could have came here now and red-shirted under our system and had G.A. Mangus to bring him along. With the O-Line that we have now Blake would have been a much better QB.
Agreed. BM was one that never reached full potential but not from his own doing.
gamecock88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #16
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
Agreed. BM was one that never reached full potential but not from his own doing.
Blake was an introvert that needed a friend and SOS wasn't that guy at that time. G.A. could have been invaluable in Blake's development, especially the mental toughness part.

Going back to Syvelle, look at Pharoh....Syvelle could have been killer in the zone-read if we'd have run it. He also had a powerful arm, but not as accurate as Blake.

G.A. and Shawn....I think their influence on the play book is more important that who is actually the "OC". There are a lot of new plays/looks (e.g. pistol) that are not old school SOS plays. I still think it's one of the coolest things I've ever seen to see SOS merge his old F'n'G with a new generation of running plays and formations.
I think we can add that to SOS' legacy....old coach, new tricks.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #17
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Blake was an introvert that needed a friend and SOS wasn't that guy at that time. G.A. could have been invaluable in Blake's development, especially the mental toughness part.

Going back to Syvelle, look at Pharoh....Syvelle could have been killer in the zone-read if we'd have run it. He also had a powerful arm, but not as accurate as Blake.

G.A. and Shawn....I think their influence on the play book is more important that who is actually the "OC". There are a lot of new plays/looks (e.g. pistol) that are not old school SOS plays. I still think it's one of the coolest things I've ever seen to see SOS merge his old F'n'G with a new generation of running plays and formations.
Blake's biggest problem was the lack of a decent OL and his limited mobility. Blake was very slow.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #18
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post

You make a great point about having GA helping Blake with being mentally tough. He had the tools and he would play hurt but getting hit affected him vastly unlike Connor.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #19
Master Bedroom
Blue Chip

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
To me syvelle deserves credit for showing spurrier what having a mobile qb could do
Did Syvelle take a position with the team recently...or did I dream that?
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #20
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
You make a great point about having GA helping Blake with being mentally tough.
I think he struggled with the criticism from SOS and all the crap that came with being the QB.