CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GH
b381l
Spurticus
Mt. Lattimore
petecock
jrussjr
RGHoskins
JerseyBird
Acockolypse Now
bigdog2003
1st practice tonight (1849)
I'm in the Atlanta a (1145)
We don't have a prac (790)
Malcolm Mitchell (kn (781)
Could we see 3 QBs o (601)
Donell Stanley injur (541)
weather in columbia (466)
Cockytalk Fall Pract (446)
Overrated and Underr (420)
Copperheads (303)
Auburn Loses Guard for Se
Cockytalk Fall Practice R
Paul George Seriously Inj
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Official SEC Network and
1st practice tonight
Could we see 3 QBs on the
Links to post-practice vi
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti

Old 01-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default Downton Abbey

Season 4 kickoff last night with a 2 hr premier.

Last season dragged for me after what I thought were 2 really good initial seasons. The Bates in jail story was boring and I had grown tired of the Matthew character.

I thought last night was a solid start. I like that they are doing more with the Rose character. I also like how they have Edith in London more.

While I enjoyed the premier, this show is too slow for a 2 hr episode.

What did everyone else think?
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21
Default Re: Downton Abbey

I liked it. I am very interested to see the Mary storyline develop with her taking on more of a role running Downton.

Also the Bates/Anna v Barrow/Braithwaite simmering feud has me intrigued.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
I liked it. I am very interested to see the Mary storyline develop with her taking on more of a role running Downton.

Also the Bates/Anna v Barrow/Braithwaite simmering feud has me intrigued.
I'm with you on both storylines.

Is a Mary/Tom realtionship coming?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
I'm with you on both storylines.

Is a Mary/Tom realtionship coming?
I don't think so. In yesterday's PARADE in the newspaper it mentioned another nobleman coming into the picture that may lead to a romance between him and Mary. Forgive me I can't remember more than that.

Also, I just see the Tom character as being loyal to Sybil and would see it as an insult to her memory to get involved with her sister.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

I've already watched season 4. Better than season 2, not as good as season 1.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1706674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

So...debating on starting watching this, what does it compare with genre wise?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
So...debating on starting watching this, what does it compare with genre wise?
At it's core I think would be lable in the "family drama" genre.

It's an early 20th Century period piece that starts with the wreck of the Titanic and the loss of an heir to a large estate 1 hr southwest of London.

It's very slow but wonderfully acted and follows the lives of the servants downstairs and the family upstairs. The family's primary concern is to preserve the estate for future generations. There are stroylines concerning WWI and the changing times of the 20's, world economic collapse, etc.

My wife was watching it and got me into it. I didn't think I was going to like the show, but it eneded up being very good.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
I've already watched season 4. Better than season 2, not as good as season 1.
That's encouraging. IMO- Season 1 is the best season so far. Season 2 was my 2nd favorite, so if season 4 surpasses that...
Old 01-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

You dudes do realize you're talking about a soap opera, right?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
That's encouraging. IMO- Season 1 is the best season so far. Season 2 was my 2nd favorite, so if season 4 surpasses that...
One warning, there is a huge absurd soap opera drama moment. I quit watching it, but went back to finish the season later.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
One name for you Lily James.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:

You can make that argument for season 2 but not for season 1. My thoughts on season 3 are kind of scrambled so I'm not sure about that.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #13
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

I watched this occasionally with my wife last season. I found it bearable, when compared with other shows that she raves about that are typically considered to be for a primarily female audience. I could watch, and be somewhat interested, which is much more than I can say for most dramas in this type of genre.

But when it came time for the season premiere the other night...I just couldn't bring myself to watch it. I'm not quite sure why- maybe it was the idea of it being 2 hours, but when it came time when she was ready to watch, I had to leave the room.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #14
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
I watched this occasionally with my wife last season. I found it bearable, when compared with other shows that she raves about that are typically considered to be for a primarily female audience. I could watch, and be somewhat interested, which is much more than I can say for most dramas in this type of genre.

But when it came time for the season premiere the other night...I just couldn't bring myself to watch it. I'm not quite sure why- maybe it was the idea of it being 2 hours, but when it came time when she was ready to watch, I had to leave the room.
Yeah, like I said in my 1st post - I think that 2 hrs is too long for a drama this slow. While I do enjoy the show- it's just filler until Mad Men and Game of Thrones return. Also looking forward to True Detectives debut this Sunday.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
TheUSCMike
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 4500
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:

I remember my Mom, Aunt & other LADIES sounding like this in the 50's & 60's when they talked about their "shows"
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #16
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Aaaaaand that was the soap opera moment.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #17
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Aaaaaand that was the soap opera moment.

Anna being raped? If so, I do not associate that with the soap genre.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #18
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Quote:
Anna being raped? If so, I do not associate that with the soap genre.
Wait for the drama that follows.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #19
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUSCMike View Post

I remember my Mom, Aunt & other LADIES sounding like this in the 50's & 60's when they talked about their "shows"
Lol

I remember my grandmother and friends having to watch "their story."
Old 01-26-2014, 10:25 PM   #20
Thenardier
Banned

Male

For those who watch Downton Abbey, if you purchase the season pass, the entire season will be able for download on Tuesday.