CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
taylorssc
Outland
Latt7more
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
Grit_And_Steel
gadeneer1986
ReadR00ster
Does South Carolina (1640)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Incoming Class (915)
Rest of the season p (892)
Let us clarify some (736)
Tennessee kickoff an (653)
Tennessee Game Time (646)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (626)
Just thought of some (538)
Is Clowney back toni (509)
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
Peyton Manning breaks Bre
Why is everyone anticipat
Miss St. defense
To ANYONE complaining abo
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Let us clarify some thing
How do you want Auburn to
Bruce Ellington's First T
Official NHL 2014-2015 Se

Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #21
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material
Default Re: Darius English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Are you a dietitian?
Or a professional body builder? Or a doctor?

If is genetically proven some bodies gain weight easier than others.
Women gain weight easier than men...people that are born leaner have trouble gaining weight...English has a lean frame and it will be harder for him to gain weight.

Of course, he could go to Bojangles everyday, then he would gain weight, but it would be useless.
Good weight is hard to gain...maybe if you actually got your ass off the couch and out of your ass you'd know that.
Yes, just not a Doctor. They are never really as informed as they should be actually if you know what I mean.

Yes you are right! Good weight is very hard to gain! But it is possible for anyone with the dedication and especially at the ages of 18-23
Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #22
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
What are you talking about????? No one is trying to act tough. How long have you been on cocky talk? I've posted stuff related to exercise and fitness all the time on here and have had good discussions with others in the industry like Gaichon.

I have helped tons of people lose and gain weight to better themselves and their lives.

I have a little more knowledge on this topic than other ransoms posters here.
I can vouch for page. While I don't know him in personally, he has offered a lot of advice on various threads about exercise, running, supplements, etc.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #23
PageUSC

Male

PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
I can vouch for page. While I don't know him in personally, he has offered a lot of advice on various threads about exercise, running, supplements, etc.
Thank you sir! I try to give as much advice on here as I can to my fellow Gamecock brothers.

I can't give too much for free though ;)
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #24
fns2020
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
fns2020 has hatched from the shell

Why do some people on here have to be such smart asses? You don't have to be a doctor to know stuff (I am in the medical field by the way). Just try to be considerate when posting. OK?
fns2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #25
PageUSC

Male

Anyway, before I was interrupted by rude people who assume things...

What Harris and English and others need to be doing right now is focusing on eating 500 cals or more above their daily caloric intake and lifting very heavy. This will add mass, even some fat. It is virtually impossible to add muscle without adding some fat.

They will do this for the next 5-6 months with a little interruption from spring practice. The. Closer to fall practice they will go through a cutting phase eating less cals to lose the excess fat they gained in the process. Keeping the muscle they added and still lifting heavy to keep the strength and power.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #26
PageUSC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by fns2020 View Post
Why do some people on here have to be such smart asses? You don't have to be a doctor to know stuff (I am in the medical field by the way). Just try to be considerate when posting. OK?
I know right! People have no idea who they are talking to. Guy is telling me I am overweight lol. I'm in the gym 4-5 days a week and play bball twice a week. People pay me for this information.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #27
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Fairly certain English is close to 240 lbs now. Last I heard he was 238 lbs and thats been about a month ago.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #28
PageUSC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
Fairly certain English is close to 240 lbs now. Last I heard he was 238 lbs and thats been about a month ago.
Without knowing the body fat % the numbers don't mean a whole lot.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #29
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Anyway, before I was interrupted by rude people who assume things...

What Harris and English and others need to be doing right now is focusing on eating 500 cals or more above their daily caloric intake and lifting very heavy. This will add mass, even some fat. It is virtually impossible to add muscle without adding some fat.

They will do this for the next 5-6 months with a little interruption from spring practice. The. Closer to fall practice they will go through a cutting phase eating less cals to lose the excess fat they gained in the process. Keeping the muscle they added and still lifting heavy to keep the strength and power.
I saw a guy do this in college. It must have taken about a year. People made fun of him because he got super heavy in like 7 months, his face looked bloated and his stomach was huge. He'd come in a lift 3 reps of massive weights and drink water for 5 minutes between reps. Then I saw him like 6 months later and he looked like a body builder, said he ate strict diet and ran some, and worked out with slightly more reps.

I am a believer, just not willing to put my body through that. Don't have the discipline or time to devote that much to myself with a family. Should've done it when I was screwing around in college...
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #30
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Without knowing the body fat % the numbers don't mean a whole lot.
It means he has gained weight and is capable. I doubt they are letting him sit around gaining bad weight. Plus they are in the Winter conditioning program right now so I think the heavier he gets the better. He can lose a little speed as far as I am concerned as long as he can carry close to 250lbs.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #31
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

CockFighter is learning to peckCockFighter is learning to peck

Quote:
According to news reports, English was 226 at end of regular season then he gained 12 pounds working with his nutritionist. So he has to be close to 240lb. We really need him to be 250lb of good weight by August.

We have some good DEs coming in from Juco and high school. I love the idea of Juco players we really need the size for depleted roster. I watched some of these kids play in high school in GA. Georgia produces a lot of good DE prospects for the SEC. English has the opportunity to be very elite. If he could get his weight up to 265lbs by the end of his Carolina career and work on his hands/moveshe should be as Clowney. If you ever watch him he has the same speed with more endurance and less power/weight. The hand and moves coaching will be partially coaching. This is the area where I miss Lawing. I know a lot of folks think Deke is just as good as Lawing but it is not true. From what he inherited I would think our players would have progressed better.

Last edited by CockFighter; 01-28-2014 at 12:56 PM.
CockFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #32
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockFighter View Post
English was 226 at end of regular season then he gained 12 pounds working with his nutritionist. So he has to be close to 240lb. We really need him 250lb of good weight since he will be the most athletic D - lineman we will have on our team.
Yeah thats what I heard. After getting with the nutritionist he stated that he did not realize it was that easy to gain weight. I see no problem with him getting to 250 lbs before next year. Did anyone see Devin Taylor during his first year in the NFL. They got him to almost 290 lbs in less than a year.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #33
PageUSC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
I saw a guy do this in college. It must have taken about a year. People made fun of him because he got super heavy in like 7 months, his face looked bloated and his stomach was huge. He'd come in a lift 3 reps of massive weights and drink water for 5 minutes between reps. Then I saw him like 6 months later and he looked like a body builder, said he ate strict diet and ran some, and worked out with slightly more reps.

I am a believer, just not willing to put my body through that. Don't have the discipline or time to devote that much to myself with a family. Should've done it when I was screwing around in college...
That's what it takes! Some have it and some don't.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #34
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
That is completely and 100 percent false!
You have no idea what you are saying. Stop trashing Darius' work ethic that you KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. No wonder players hate these boards
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #35
PageUSC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
You have no idea what you are saying. Stop trashing Darius' work ethic that you KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. No wonder players hate these boards
I was not trashing English.

Some stated that Harris could not gain weight.

I stated that that was completely false.

Learn reading comprehension. I said nothing bad about English. WTH are you talking ab?
Old 01-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #36
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
That's what it takes! Some have it and some don't.
I used to work as a Athletic Trainer and that is certainly NOT the only way to gain good weight. Not even close. I worked with Chris Broome who played TE at UGa and we put 30 lbs on him by lifting hard and eating lots of calories and he started. He never did blow up and have to cut weight.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #37
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
I agree. Work ethic is not a problem for English. Kid does everything he is asked to do.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #38
PageUSC

Male

Quote:
I used to work as a Athletic Trainer and that is certainly NOT the only way to gain good weight. Not even close. I worked with Chris Broome who played TE at UGa and we put 30 lbs on him by lifting hard and eating lots of calories and he started. He never did blow up and have to cut weight.
I never said it was the only way. It is the most common way by far. Especially for harder gainers like English and Harris.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #39
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
What are you talking about????? No one is trying to act tough. How long have you been on cocky talk? I've posted stuff related to exercise and fitness all the time on here and have had good discussions with others in the industry like Gaichon.

I have helped tons of people lose and gain weight to better themselves and their lives.

I have a little more knowledge on this topic than other ransoms posters here.
Pls forgive lenth...I know enought to recognize your information comes from a knowlege base. Certainly you, and every person, insert opinion and perspective thus allowing others to differ. I'm hoping you might offer me a little advise...
As a young man I was bigger, stronger. than most. 6'2.75, 220 pds, around 10-12% body fat, 23 reps @ 225 (gym reps, not neccesarily lock outs) decent mobility, bla bla.
A car wreck over 20 yrs ago cost me aproz 40% of my leg function so running, jumping, squating, even walking for distance cardio ws long lost.
Now 50 yrs old I lift to maintain strenth and some muscle but weight and body fat r high, around 240 pds, 18/19%. I primarily eat paleo, about 3 months now, sugar being my weakness.
If you can share lifting choices that might aid me in slimming while maintaining upper bopdy strenth needed to aid mobility. Anything you share is apreciated should you. thanks WVP
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #40
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
I was not trashing English.

Some stated that Harris could not gain weight.

I stated that that was completely false.

Learn reading comprehension. I said nothing bad about English. WTH are you talking ab?
Actually, you did. You questioned his commitment level and dedication.