CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
johnnyb
Cockhornleghorn
GamecockMomSC
2000grad
markymark550
Regalcock
ZenUSC
We Have to Pass (2147)
Rivalry Thoughts and (1564)
Spurrier weekly pres (1436)
This would be awesom (945)
How is Shaq Davidson (766)
McConaughey cast as (525)
Perspective on our g (500)
SEC referees? (355)
Defense and offense (345)
Currently 2nd in att (302)
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Currently 2nd in attendan
Interesting stat
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Why has there been 40 yea
We Have to Pass
SEC referees?
RG3 - Struggles Not Getti
2015 - Darius Slayton
College Football PSA (urg

Old 07-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material
Default Gamecock Coaches as Recruiters

Bottom line, our coaches are doing a really good job at recruiting. We're a Top 10 class right now in all 4 major recruiting sites, #2 in Rivals, #2 in 247, #5 in Scout and #8 in ESPN.

There is no doubt that we made the biggest jump out of anyone this summer, to claim the 2014 Summer Recruiting National Championship! j/k, but still it's been a great summer.

As of right now, we have some of the best Recruiting Coaches in the FBS system. Each of these 125 full members/teams can have 8 Asst Coaches who can recruit. So there are 1,000 FBS Asst Coaches that can go out there and actively recruit. SC

Right now, many of our Coaches are ranked in the Top 100 Nationally for Recruiting.

Deke #7
Mangus #12
Elliott #36
Ward #52
Botkin #56
Bubba #60

Then in the Top 200 Asst Coaches/Recruiters we have:
Grady #130
Sands #133

So we have 6 of the Top 60 Recruiters, out off 1000 possible candidates.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Foo...eCoachRankings

Our coaches are doing a phenomenal job and they're pulling their weight pretty evenly, especially compared to some other programs.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Thundercocks- Ho!
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Thundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Gamecock Coaches as Recruiters

No doubt, Deke is a hell of a recuiter. I wonder what the consensus will be on his coaching ability after 3 yrs here. GA is doing a hell of a job too!
Thundercocks- Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Deke is doing well on the recruiting trail but we all knew he would be strong there with potential of being dynamic. Interested to see how he develops his talent this year though. Even more interested to see how he manages the guys coming in for next season. I'm still on the fence about him but he is at least getting players in here.

Completely sold on Botkin though after seeing what he did with the linebackers last year. It looks like he is getting better on the recruiting trail in year 2 as well. Especially in such a difficult area. He is much better than I ever thought he would be. Definitely was way wrong on my opinions on him.

Don't get me started on Sands. I'm afraid my opinion will never change in regards to him. I just don't believe your running backs coach should be one of your worst recruiters and nothing is going to change my opinion about that.

The numbers don't show it but Grady busts his ass down in South Florida. Poor excuse but its such a tough area though. If he can just keep the mini pipeline to St. Thomas Aquinas open, that's good enough for me. IMO, I'd like to see him get more involved instate especially on the coast.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Not listed: Joe Robinson, Special Teams. $280,000/year
Old 07-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Yeah Sands needs to step it up by next year. Joe Rob I doubt will ever be a good recruiter.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
how is our special teams ranking among sec teams?
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Adams...dynamite recruiter...that was his billing and so far he is living up to it...I'm still on the fence on his coaching and develop abilities, but that will take time.

Ward...lights out...can recruit the hell out of metro-Atlanta and has been solid as the DC...see how he does utilizing the 3-4 this year.

Mangus...lights out...guy has really helped develop QBs as well.

Elliott...lights out....has found his guys and made the Oline our strength this year...when was the last time we could say that?

Spurrier Jr....solid, and recruits a tough area. Only thing that has hurt him is the past lack of development from the WRs...but it appears he has found a groove.

Botkin...I'm like C2, very surprised first with his coaching ability and also his ability to steal some guys out of the Mobile area...when was the last time we could consistently pull a guy or two out of Alabama?

Sands...has struggled recruiting this year, but could close strong with Turner and Denson, but sucks he couldn't flip a Dexter Williams or some of the bigger name guys on the board. Seems to be a strong coach than recruiter, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing in my mind.

Brown...done well getting guys out of FL and NC in the DB. His coaching accumine will be shown this year with the thin depth of the secondary.

Robinson...weak recruiter, and the results haven't shown on special teams. I'm sure he is a nice guy and knows what he is doing, but something just hasn't clicked yet. He did help get Elliott Fry here, and that needs to be noted, but our punt game and return game was dropped after Ace left. This year will be telling if Robinson stays around I think. If you aren't bringing in players, you better be solid at your position, or vice versa...right now the results show neither on his part.

Also, lost his TE coaching duties to Mangus, so this may be a sign this could be his last year in Columbia.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Adams...dynamite recruiter...that was his billing and so far he is living up to it...I'm still on the fence on his coaching and develop abilities, but that will take time.

Ward...lights out...can recruit the hell out of metro-Atlanta and has been solid as the DC...see how he does utilizing the 3-4 this year.

Mangus...lights out...guy has really helped develop QBs as well.

Elliott...lights out....has found his guys and made the Oline our strength this year...when was the last time we could say that?

Spurrier Jr....solid, and recruits a tough area. Only thing that has hurt him is the past lack of development from the WRs...but it appears he has found a groove.

Botkin...I'm like C2, very surprised first with his coaching ability and also his ability to steal some guys out of the Mobile area...when was the last time we could consistently pull a guy or two out of Alabama?

Sands...has struggled recruiting this year, but could close strong with Turner and Denson, but sucks he couldn't flip a Dexter Williams or some of the bigger name guys on the board. Seems to be a strong coach than recruiter, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing in my mind.

Brown...done well getting guys out of FL and NC in the DB. His coaching accumine will be shown this year with the thin depth of the secondary.

Robinson...weak recruiter, and the results haven't shown on special teams. I'm sure he is a nice guy and knows what he is doing, but something just hasn't clicked yet. He did help get Elliott Fry here, and that needs to be noted, but our punt game and return game was dropped after Ace left. This year will be telling if Robinson stays around I think. If you aren't bringing in players, you better be solid at your position, or vice versa...right now the results show neither on his part.

Also, lost his TE coaching duties to Mangus, so this may be a sign this could be his last year in Columbia.
I think Deke coming in and having Clowney was both a blessing and a curse. I think you'll see a different Coach Adams this year.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

is joe robinson just chillin
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #10
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
is joe robinson just chillin

Yes, but I'm hoping he preparing to lead the SEC's Most Improved Special Teams to some great performances this season. We have nowhere to go but up.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I think Deke coming in and having Clowney was both a blessing and a curse. I think you'll see a different Coach Adams this year.
We need to see a different Coach Adams this year.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #12
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Not listed: Joe Robinson, Special Teams. $28,000/year
There we go. That's more like it.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #13
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Deke is doing well on the recruiting trail but we all knew he would be strong there with potential of being dynamic. Interested to see how he develops his talent this year though. Even more interested to see how he manages the guys coming in for next season. I'm still on the fence about him but he is at least getting players in here.

Completely sold on Botkin though after seeing what he did with the linebackers last year. It looks like he is getting better on the recruiting trail in year 2 as well. Especially in such a difficult area. He is much better than I ever thought he would be. Definitely was way wrong on my opinions on him.

Don't get me started on Sands. I'm afraid my opinion will never change in regards to him. I just don't believe your running backs coach should be one of your worst recruiters and nothing is going to change my opinion about that.

The numbers don't show it but Grady busts his ass down in South Florida. Poor excuse but its such a tough area though. If he can just keep the mini pipeline to St. Thomas Aquinas open, that's good enough for me. IMO, I'd like to see him get more involved instate especially on the coast.
Agree 1000%. Seems like Grady would be a good recruiter, he's just a real solid, charismatic but cerebral guy in interviews. I also agree with others on Joe Robinson, I thought he was recruiting coordinator at UNC before we hired him. I understand that's more of a paperwork function but you would think he would at least have good contacts with coaches throughout the Carolinas and maybe the mid-atlantic region or something; which is what you want from an older coach. Sort of like EJ did for us, getting the foot in the door and getting head's up on under the radar prospects. I had to eat my hat on Botkin. Looks like dude can coach AND recruit. I also noticed we're getting some love and even commits from prospect in VA. Who should we thank most for that? That is huge to building the program, imop. We should work to be the default option for those kids who want to play in the SEC.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Do they include the head coaches in these lists as well?
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #15
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 200
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Hard to believe some don't like ESands....He will get his backs in time....Until then I will settle for his great skills as a coach .....You can bet as long as The HBC is around Coach Sands will be around....
Old 07-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #16
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
Hard to believe some don't like ESands....He will get his backs in time....Until then I will settle for his great skills as a coach .....You can bet as long as The HBC is around Coach Sands will be around....
I personally know Coach Sands from my time at the Citadel (He was a year behind me). Great Guy. High character. The sort a person you want to be an example for young men.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #17
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Why the hell are our coaches like SOSjr, Mangus and Ward sliding down this list? We have arguably our best recruiting class ever and our coaches are getting worse? I don't get it...
Old 07-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #18
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 999760
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
Why the hell are our coaches like SOSjr, Mangus and Ward sliding down this list? We have arguably our best recruiting class ever and our coaches are getting worse? I don't get it...
They are not always the "lead" recruiter or recruiter of record, so rivals,247. They only get credit for who they were the lead recruiter of.