CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
taylorssc
Outland
B-G
gadeneer1986
Latt7more
b381l
HeadCockFan
Grit_And_Steel
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Incoming Class (1015)
Rest of the season p (999)
Why is everyone anti (775)
Let us clarify some (740)
Tennessee kickoff an (713)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (713)
Just thought of some (700)
Is Clowney back toni (570)
How did we not make (492)
Williams and Mitch
Holiday desserts
Roll call for Auburn
Garber vs Klinsmann round
Miss St. defense
Thoughts on the basketbal
How do you want Auburn to
Why is everyone anticipat
Just thought of something
Peyton Manning breaks Bre

Old 01-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
UncleGamecock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
UncleGamecock has hatched from the shell
Send a message via Yahoo to UncleGamecock
Default Question about our Graduate Assistants

Hello 1st time poster, long time reader.
My brother is interested in being a Graduate Assistant, but cant find any information about who our current Graduate Assistants are or if any of them are getting jobs somewhere. He played football at a D2 school and said that Graduate Assistants can only work for so long before they have to leave. Does any other Cockytalkers have any information on these guys or advice for him?
UncleGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Question about our Graduate Assistants

I believe Shaq Wilson is a grad asst and helps Botkin with our linebackers.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
eggroll
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 50000
eggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talons

Not an expert by any stretch but the GA job sounds like it's about who you know and not so much what you know. I'm thinking you need to know someone on the staff or get recommended by another coach. I think you can only be a GA for as long as you're working on your master's degree.
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Grad Assistants are a mixture of applicants and former players. A couple of the GA's we've had here have come from schools such as Harvard, Penn State, etc. etc. (and almost all of them played D1 Football) In the sports world, it's a "who you know". GA's are hard to come by, especially at larger schools.

If lucky enough to land one, however, only the best ones get jobs in college. A couple of our GA's have been lucky enough to follow coaches to other schools, and others have been lucky enough to get other jobs. The ones that don't get collegiate level jobs have become high school coaches mostly.

The last GA that landed a real coaching posistion in college was Addison Williams. He had a lot of praise from coach Ward though, and was pretty much the asst. DB coach while he was here (pre-Brown, during Jeep Hunters reign of coaching the safeties).

Most of them end up coaching high school football and looking for a way back into the college levels.

Great gig though - Grad School is payed for completely + some cash. Not much though.

Last edited by CarolinaGnB521; 01-26-2014 at 11:23 PM.
CarolinaGnB521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:20 PM   #5
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

He should look at the D2 route for being a GA. It'll give him even more experience then being a D1 GA honestly. At the vast majority of D2 school they can only afford 4-5 full time guys so GAs in a lot of cases are given their own position group and recruiting area to look after and recruit. Then after that look at moving onto a QC job at the D1 level or a position coach at D2 or a high school asst. in a football crazed state like Texas, Georgia, Florida etc.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

ra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot material

Good luck to him. I've been working camps, and getting involved as much as I can with the program, getting to know the coaches through having players recruited, and I also have 6 years of successful coaching experience at the Ol level, and I CANNOT for the life of me, get a GA job. It's certainly about who you know. Just tell him to knock on as many doors as he can, and keep trying.

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
UncleGamecock
Walk On

Male

UncleGamecock has hatched from the shell
Send a message via Yahoo to UncleGamecock

Thank you for the help. I will pass the advice to him and see what he wants to do. I know we all know the coaching staff and you had mentioned Shaq (miss him as a player on Saturdays!) I don't know much about how many Graduate Assistants we have or even who they are. If it helps to be a former player do we have any guys that played at Carolina besides Shaq? I think its a great idea to keep these guys around and show the current team how to do things. Only good things can happen from them being around.
UncleGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:23 AM   #8
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

It is a tough door to get your foot in.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #9
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

ra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot material

The grad asst who works with the OL is from Texas A&M. He is originally from South Carolina, but I can't recall where.

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Unfortunately if you are having to ask the question, likely he doesn't have much of a shot at USC. Spurrier is a great one to have on the resume so being a GA in his program is highly sought after. Your brother should start with his former coaches seeing if they have connections in a program which he can leverage. I notice you are in Virginia, a Pipeline into a high school we have trouble recruiting is also a huge feather in the cap. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

GSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudly

Yep. GA spots at big schools are 100% about who you no. If you don't know someone at USC, or, if one of your top 3 resume references don't know someone there, you have 0 chance. None.

The coaching profession from the college level up is almost 100% about who you know, but more importantly, who do the people who will reference you know.

No one gets a job in college coaching by a blind application.

Your brother's best bet is this:

Call his old college coaches
Ask for a GA spot with them, or help landing one with someone they know.

Coaching is SO unlike what people think it is. I did a GA spot for a couple years at an FCS school and changed careers. So, if his old coaches can't land him one, he should ask if he can volunteer on the staff, and find part time work to make ends meet for a season or two, just to get used to what all goes on in that job off the field. Once he is "seasoned" with all that stuff, he'd more marketable.

Meaning, his coaches will feel more comfortable recommending him for a GA spot at another school if their school doesn't have one available. That's how I got mine. My old coaches at Coastal let me volunteer for a season, then recommended me to another place.

90 hour work weeks. Stress sandwich. Lots and lots and lots of long days with no sleep, no money, no glory, no girlfriends. But, if you want it, its the price to pay.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

It has worked out well for Addison Williams.
http://www.tusculumpioneers.com/prof...?playerID=1689