CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
MWard
sanford
U-Dub Gamecock
b381l
75CarolinaFan
Spurticus
Aggie96
Cockypantherfan
B-G
TAFC 5 1981
Sidney Rice Retiring (1396)
Dan Patrick Show - P (640)
ESPN Insider (552)
Pictures of older Co (462)
SOS Dominating SEC M (325)
Bonefish Grill (279)
Places to eat in Con (265)
What Are The Most Im (253)
This Song is the F'i (222)
Tenn vs WVU in Charl (214)
Green and Lammons
Texags
Name a Gamecock
Asheville/Spartanburg eat
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
Predict Clemson 2014
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas
2015 Commitment - Damon A
Ace suspended 4 games
Another A&M aggie off

Old 07-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material
Default NFL Evaluations of underclassmen limited

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...-underclassmen
Old 07-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 870
paynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his claws
Default Re: NFL Evaluations of underclassmen limited

I think this will be good for college football. Encourages only the upper elite guys to declare for the draft and everyone else to return.
paynemd2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

This is good. I didn't realize they told guys they were 1st rd, 2nd rd, or 3rd or later. All those guys heard 3rd or later and all say they said 3rd rd
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I'm glad to see this happening. Nick Saban said it well saying there are kids who left early, weren't drafted and not in school anymore.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

They need to allow anyone who doesn't sign an agent to go back to college, if they aren't drafted.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
11SWU10
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 720
11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous

THIS 100%

They need to allow anyone who doesn't sign an agent to go back to college, if they aren't drafted.
11SWU10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:10 AM   #7
TerryP
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

At a glance this seems like it would be good for players who don't end up getting drafted. When you look at it a little deeper you can see how it's flawed—pretty significantly in fact.

By the NFL limiting the number of grades they'll give per school, and then with those grades limiting to amount of information given, they've reduced the amount of information available for kids to make their decisions upon.

A less informed person makes better decisions?!?! When's that ever worked?

It does open a door that'll quickly be filled with people offering their advice on where guys will be drafted. People, who work outside of the NFL offices, who are less qualified and are very likely to give worse advice than what's been issued in the past.

What really baffles me is why there are different standards and rules for baseball, basketball, and football. What doesn't surprise me is the NCAA has seen things fail in other sports, but continue to think they'll work.
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1731674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SWU10 View Post
THIS 100%

They have to sign an agent to declare for the draft, which is why they are no longer considered amateur
Old 07-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
B-G
Game MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

I don't think it will change much.
With the rate of injuries and all these new studies coming out kids will still make the jump.

They want the money and the chance at the pros, an extra year in college could hurt that.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
At a glance this seems like it would be good for players who don't end up getting drafted. When you look at it a little deeper you can see how it's flawed—pretty significantly in fact.

By the NFL limiting the number of grades they'll give per school, and then with those grades limiting to amount of information given, they've reduced the amount of information available for kids to make their decisions upon.

A less informed person makes better decisions?!?! When's that ever worked?

It does open a door that'll quickly be filled with people offering their advice on where guys will be drafted. People, who work outside of the NFL offices, who are less qualified and are very likely to give worse advice than what's been issued in the past.

What really baffles me is why there are different standards and rules for baseball, basketball, and football. What doesn't surprise me is the NCAA has seen things fail in other sports, but continue to think they'll work.
I agree with the part about less information is bad, but I fully understand why the NFL is not like baseball. Football is too physically dangerous and they don't want young underdeveloped kids out of high school in their league going up against fully developed monsters who have been doing little else for 10 years but pumping iron and eating special diets and learning the best way to hit someone so hard their organs rattle in their body when they are hit, and the NFLPA hasn't really pressed the issue because they see the sound logic in that.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
TerryP
Recruit

Male

TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I agree with the part about less information is bad, but I fully understand why the NFL is not like baseball. Football is too physically dangerous and they don't want young underdeveloped kids out of high school in their league going up against fully developed monsters who have been doing little else for 10 years but pumping iron and eating special diets and learning the best way to hit someone so hard their organs rattle in their body when they are hit, and the NFLPA hasn't really pressed the issue because they see the sound logic in that.
That's not what I was wondering about.

In baseball they can get drafted and then return to play collegiate ball. As long as they don't sign with an agent they don't lose eligibility.

As a hypothetical, say a QB decides to test the waters as a Jr. and is drafted by a team that has a veteran that's a year or two away from retirement with one other on the roster. He may look at that situation as "at least I'll be carrying a clipboard" versus "I may not even make the team."

With the new agreements in place and so much talk of second contracts I'm curious to see how the numbers work out for players who left early and actually sign their second contract. So many out of the first two rounds this past draft, so many free agents that may not even make the team, and then such a small percentage that make it to that second contract...
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:

In baseball they can get drafted and then return to play collegiate ball. As long as they don't sign with an agent they don't lose eligibility.

As a hypothetical, say a QB decides to test the waters as a Jr. and is drafted by a team that has a veteran that's a year or two away from retirement with one other on the roster. He may look at that situation as "at least I'll be carrying a clipboard" versus "I may not even make the team."

With the new agreements in place and so much talk of second contracts I'm curious to see how the numbers work out for players who left early and actually sign their second contract. So many out of the first two rounds this past draft, so many free agents that may not even make the team, and then such a small percentage that make it to that second contract...
Yeah, I don't really understand how that works in the MLB draft. I don't think the players actually ENTER the draft, the MLB teams just draft players they want and wait on players to say they are going to sign or not. They are still playing in college when the draft happens. Maybe that only works if you have a 50 round draft to fill a minor league system, NFL is only 7 rounds and no minor leagues.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Yeah, I don't really understand how that works in the MLB draft. I don't think the players actually ENTER the draft, the MLB teams just draft players they want and wait on players to say they are going to sign or not. They are still playing in college when the draft happens. Maybe that only works if you have a 50 round draft to fill a minor league system, NFL is only 7 rounds and no minor leagues.
I believe that NCAA rules state that if you, as an underclassman, have to declare yourself eligible and be placed on a prospective draft list that you lose your NCAA eligibility. Baseball players don't have to request to be in the draft, so that's why they keep their eligibility provided they don't sign with an agent.

Why basketball and football require the kid to request entry and baseball doesn't, I'm not really sure, but I would bet it might be something defined in the league's CBA.
markymark550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #14
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
agree....the only problem is that many of them leave school and start preparing for the combine.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:34 AM   #15
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
They have to sign an agent to declare for the draft, which is why they are no longer considered amateur
No they don't have to sign an agent. My point is that an eligible draft kid could declare for the draft and do pro day, while staying enrolled in school, and if drafted where they'd like then go pro. If the NFL really wanted, they could workout something with the NCAA to give NFL advisors like agents to kids to help them during this time. These advisors would have to be NFL employees not agents though. Agents are causing the problems with the younger players. They are feeding them the lies. After a kid is drafted then the NFL advisor would be not allowed to negotiated, since that could be confining of interest.

Basketball has a system with you can declare and if you don't have an agent you can go back to school.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #16
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

You can declare for both the NBA and NFL and return to school as long as you haven't signed with an agent. I know that Colt Brennan declared for the and withdrew a couple of years ago. The problem with both systems, especially for football, is that the date to decide to withdraw from the draft is too early. Mid-January for football and mid-April for basketball. No opportunity to do workouts or combines before making the decision to stay or go. A lot of kids making some bad decisions without all the information.
markymark550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #17
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
No they don't have to sign an agent. My point is that an eligible draft kid could declare for the draft and do pro day, while staying enrolled in school, and if drafted where they'd like then go pro. If the NFL really wanted, they could workout something with the NCAA to give NFL advisors like agents to kids to help them during this time. These advisors would have to be NFL employees not agents though. Agents are causing the problems with the younger players. They are feeding them the lies. After a kid is drafted then the NFL advisor would be not allowed to negotiated, since that could be confining of interest.

Basketball has a system with you can declare and if you don't have an agent you can go back to school.
I personally think every school should have some kind of liaison (agent, former agent, former player, etc) that works for the school through the compliance office with the NFL.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #18
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
I personally think every school should have some kind of liaison (agent, former agent, former player, etc) that works for the school through the compliance office with the NFL.
I think it's up to these kids to do their own research. Anyone can make a prediction and be wrong, even "experts." The school's focus should be focused on making information available, not provide some guy to give his "expert" opinion that can be just as unreliable as the next "expert."