CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Acockolypse Now
Gamecocks1137
Spurticus
MEL
spareparts
auslander
The Yancey
sanford
MWard
Texags (1915)
Stephen Garcia AMA o (1756)
Ace suspended 4 game (1436)
ESPN Car wash Spurri (1356)
Top 10 Reasons Why T (1176)
Holy Hell, Indeed, S (1105)
COMCAST TO CARRY SEC (997)
Comporium (736)
watching the Alabama (342)
Jake Coker (284)
Green and Lammons
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas
Another A&M aggie off
Official SEC Network and
ESPN Insider
2015 - Traveon Samuel
2015 - Rasool Clemons
Ace suspended 4 games
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Texags

Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Cool albums III: The Cars

I don't know why, but this album seriously rocks.

Maybe it was the fact that when it came out, I was like 13 years old and all I did was stare at the cover all the time.

But it wasn't just the cover. The songs ROCK. The title track was the perfect blend of weird new wave synthesizers and that guy's crazy voice. And a bitchin' hook.

Come to think of it, that's a good word to describe this album. Bitchin.

When this album came out, I immediately went out and bought real skinny ties and extremely skinny wraparound shades.

Dangerous type has an awesome chorus and I used to hear it at the fair all the time on the Himalaya.

Then there is the song Let's Go which was a huge hit.

Then, the other songs like Shoo Be Doo, and Lust for Kicks which was in the movie "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" (or one of those movies from the early 80's)

But the absolute best track is You Can't Hold On Too Long.

Long live "new wave", whatever that was.

spareparts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cool albums III: The Cars

I was a year younger than you, but initially hated this band! It was because I was a classic rock guy, which the cars were NOT. I was a huge fan, though, a mere 5 years later. They remain one of my top ten bands from the eighties (HS and college years).
catdaddy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
I was a year younger than you, but initially hated this band! It was because I was a classic rock guy, which the cars were NOT. I was a huge fan, though, a mere 5 years later. They remain one of my top ten bands from the eighties (HS and college years).
Same effect on me as well. When I first saw / heard them on MTV and
the Radio, I didn't care for them. To me they were another in the string
of bands MTV churned out in the early 80s that fit the "Video Era"
Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Kajagoogoo, The Plasmatics etc....

But when I REALLY started listening to their music, I realized they were
a damn good band, and did some really nice stuff ! They grew on me
quickly and This was definitely their best Album.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Legalman72
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 19718410
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

This album has some excellent music! It's a great example of early American pseudo pop-rock and has a ton of punk and new wave notes to it. Love The Cars.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

This was indeed their best album.

Much in the same way that "Jessie's Song" was the best Saved By The Bell episode.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

This song kicks severe ass. Crank it.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

Very important lyrics too:

Quote:
You can't hold on too long, it's all right
Old 02-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

I'll never understand how Ric Ocasek was married to this..Paulina Porizkova

Old 02-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

We must be the same age and yes, the cars were a band whose music was so far ahead of its time that it took a while for it to grow on me as well. Grew to love that stuff. That album cover is certainly mesmerizing..
Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Spur 'Em
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 480
Spur 'Em is developing his combSpur 'Em is developing his combSpur 'Em is developing his combSpur 'Em is developing his combSpur 'Em is developing his combSpur 'Em is developing his combSpur 'Em is developing his combSpur 'Em is developing his combSpur 'Em is developing his comb

In high school we saw a cover band play Shake It Up. When I heard that guitar solo I was hooked and knew we had to start a band.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #11
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

I am bumping this thread to say that THIS ALBUM KICKS SERIOUS ASS
Old 02-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
CarolinaBand
MiLB

Male

CockyCash: 1575
CarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot material

The Cars were so innovative and light years ahead of their peers. The electronic elements they used unfairly lumped them in with with the Pop New Wave movement. Instead of using the synth as a gimmick they seemed to seamlessly incorporate it into rock music.