CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
spareparts
Spurticus
Acockolypse Now
COCKYTALKIN
BiggerLSUfan
sporkgod50
Lonnie
The Yancey
WeStill0wnUSC
USCBASEBALL1
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1026)
Ranking the Opposing (703)
Not a Rival.. (530)
Gamecock Coaches as (506)
help with army insig (393)
NCAA Football 15 (241)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (224)
I'm a grand godfathe (221)
George Miller revisi (170)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (153)
2015 - Mon Denson
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
Section 16
Marching band
NCAA Football 15
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Good Article for those co
Hello Gamecocks!
Muschamp + fan = win
2014-15 Premier League se

Old 02-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
ctgarric
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 495
ctgarric is learning to peck
Default Discussion: The Star Conundrum

I don't think stars are everything. I think that our recent success is proof of that. I am also not trying to bash our recruiting, but I found something on ESPN's SEC blog that I found interesting.

It shows the number of 4 and 5 star players taken by each SEC school over the last 4 years. Alabama, Florida, and Georgia are averaging 6-8 more 4/5 stars a year than SC. That's a pretty significant difference in talent. While one, two, or maybe even 3 highly ranked recruits in a given class may not pan out, and one or two 3-stars may develop into high caliber players, when you're getting 20-30 more highly ranked recruits on a given roster, it makes a difference.

I think we can win an SEC championship with the recruits we're getting. But I also think we need to be recruiting better if we expect to make it to ATL regularly.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...ars-in-the-sec
ctgarric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Star Conundrum

Last night, 46 players in the Super Bowl were UN-RANKED or 2 STARS coming out of high school.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

SHHHH, don't let the recruiting astronomy team know that Lonnie
Old 02-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I think our coaches care less about a recruits star rating then most. They don't want to fight over too many of these guys when they feel they can search for guys that they feel are just as good or better that would jump at the chance to be here. To some extent I think they perfer under the radar guys honestly. Of course you always try to jump on some guys early and hope that pays off with guys down the road, a lot of times those guys become top rated players.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
sgacock
4-Star

Male

sgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I think our coaches care less about a recruits star rating then most. They don't want to fight over too many of these guys when they feel they can search for guys that they feel are just as good or better that would jump at the chance to be here. To some extent I think they perfer under the radar guys honestly. Of course you always try to jump on some guys early and hope that pays off with guys down the road, a lot of times those guys become top rated players.

the only coaches who care about recruitiing RANKINGS and stars are the ones who are on the hotseat.
sgacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 573
jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit

AJ McCarron's take:

“You have guys who have never played the game of football rating these guys that they are a 5-star, because they’re sitting behind a computer screen watching their highlight film. Well, their highlight film is supposed to be good, the last time I checked. That’s the kind of thing that ticks me off about recruiting and when these kids come in, and they’re 5-stars and they expect to play right off the bat. It’s a little entitlement and when they don’t play off the bat, they get a little ticked off and they don’t want to work.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-past-success/
jayceecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

No one can deny that consistent high ranking recruiting classes lead to SEC and National Championships. Stars are not the end-all, but you will not win any SEC championship with a bunch of 2 star players like some suggest.

The same people who want to discount recruiting as pathway to championships are the same ones who don't understand why we have not won an SEC title.

"We are only 1 game away, or a couple plays away" . No, we are a couple players away. I am not saying we can't win with our talent, but our margin for error is razor thin. Having deep talent on your team is more than what you put on the top 22, it is about overcoming injuries, having a player make a bad decision, it is about competition in practice.

Recruiting is the weakness of our program, as hard as that is for some to accept.
I am not saying we are terrible, we have some GREAT players in our program, we just don't seem to get enough of them to get us over the hump.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceecock View Post
AJ McCarron's take:

“You have guys who have never played the game of football rating these guys that they are a 5-star, because they’re sitting behind a computer screen watching their highlight film. Well, their highlight film is supposed to be good, the last time I checked. That’s the kind of thing that ticks me off about recruiting and when these kids come in, and they’re 5-stars and they expect to play right off the bat. It’s a little entitlement and when they don’t play off the bat, they get a little ticked off and they don’t want to work.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-past-success/
Odd that he would say that since he was surrounded by more 5* players than any other team on the planet.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #9
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Last night, 46 players in the Super Bowl were UN-RANKED or 2 STARS coming out of high school.
So are you suggesting that we jump to the NFL, because no team in the NCAA is winning a NC with half their team as a 2* or less.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I'd take a highly motivated, well discliplined, and hard working 3 star over an entitled and non hard working 4 or 5 star anytime!

With that said obviously you would like to have a 4 or possibly even 5 star that is also a well discliplined and motivated hard worker. I mean I'm not turning my back on a Clowney, Gilmore, or a Lattimore.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
I'd take a highly motivated, well discliplined, and hard working 3 star over an entitled and non hard working 4 or 5 star anytime!

With that said obviously you would like to have a 4 or possibly even 5 star that is also a well discliplined and motivated hard worker. I mean I'm not turning my back on a Clowney, Gilmore, or a Lattimore.
Exactly. We have the hard working, motivated 3* guys, we have coaches that can develop players, we just need a few more Elite players to get us over the top, and we are coming up just short.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
ctgarric
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post

I agree with this. But there is also an undeniable gap between the top of the conference (historically: Ala, LSU, UGA, Fla) and the rest of the conference. It isn't just SC.

Having said that, I am not saying you can't get to ATL or win an SEC Championship with out recruiting at their level. Look at Mizzou from this last year. But to get to ATL consistently, it does take that kind of recruiting.

I am not taking a shot at our coaches, that is just where we are.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

With this class, sc will have over 30 4 star players..you make it sound like we are rutgers or something.

we aren't Rutgers and we aren't Alabama, we are somewhere in between. You guys need to understand that some very traditional powerhouses are above us in the sec. bama, uf, uga, auburn, lsu, tenn, etc...we will never ever consistently outrank those guys in recruiting. the sec is a bitch of a conference.

understand who we are and you guys will deal with this better.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

It is a crying shame that our inferior recruiting hasn't allowed us to finish ranked in the top 10 in the nation for 3 straight seasons like Florida and Georgia have. Oh, wait...
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #15
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
With this class, sc will have over 30 4 star players..you make it sound like we are rutgers or something.

we aren't Rutgers and we aren't Alabama, we are somewhere in between. You guys need to understand that some very traditional powerhouses are above us in the sec. bama, uf, uga, auburn, lsu, tenn, etc...we will never ever consistently outrank those guys in recruiting. the sec is a bitch of a conference.

understand who we are and you guys will deal with this better.
In a way I agree, and not. FLA was not always this good at recruiting as they are now. They are coming off the worst season in 20 years with a coach who may not be there. TEN has their best class in a decade and what about KY. The head coach drives recruiting, SOS does not make it a priority for whatever reason. I like where we are as a program, but if we want Championships, our recruiting has to be a bigger priority.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #16
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
Exactly. We have the hard working, motivated 3* guys, we have coaches that can develop players, we just need a few more Elite players to get us over the top, and we are coming up just short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgarric View Post
I agree with this. But there is also an undeniable gap between the top of the conference (historically: Ala, LSU, UGA, Fla) and the rest of the conference. It isn't just SC.

Having said that, I am not saying you can't get to ATL or win an SEC Championship with out recruiting at their level. Look at Mizzou from this last year. But to get to ATL consistently, it does take that kind of recruiting.

I am not taking a shot at our coaches, that is just where we are.
I agree with both of you! We sort of are where we are. We are never going to recruit at a level of Bama, LSU, Florida, or even UGA. But we can continue to do what we so best and get kids that want I be Gamecocks and want go work hard and still get really talented kids.

I can agree with you also seemingly like we just need a few more guys to help us turn the corner. Seems like each year we have 2-3 misses on huge targets like Floyd or Prince. I mean it's recruiting you are gonna miss some but we are soooo close.

We have some players on this team now who are game changers like Cooper, Mike D., and Skai Moore. Hopefully we will get a few more in this class.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #17
ctgarric
Walk On

Male

Having said everything we've said here. I do remember, not that long ago, about being really excited about getting 2-3 four star guys in a class. Now we are getting 7-10. That's a big difference that some success has generated.

We'll just need to continue to grow and maybe get a conference championship under our belt, and then we'll be able to keep up with the UGAs and FLAs with some of these recruits.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I repeat, our coaches are just not ones inclined to battle late in the game for 4 and 5 star guys, they spend their time working on them when they are sophomores in HS. If we are still in good shape will stay on them, if not we're going to look at those that aren't 4 or 5 stars while continuing to work those underclassmen.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #19
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgacock View Post
the only coaches who care about recruitiing RANKINGS and stars are the ones who are on the hotseat.
Than Dabo would be on the hotseat.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #20
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

The other thing that gets lost in the Star discussion is this:

A kid is Not a 5* player because Rivals or ESPN says so. They are a 5* because coaches from major powers covet their services and make them a priority in their recruiting class. If Rivals labels a kid a 5* and they do not have offers from any powers, then he will fall. Coaches determine how a recruit is rated. I think it is much easier to spot that kind of talent at the top (5*) than it is in the middle (3* & 4*)