CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
COCKYTALKIN
MountainCock
WeStillOwnUSC
thekob
Gamecocks1137
GarnetSwarm1990
El Cid Ranger
taylorssc
kingoftheroost
USCNowAndForever
Key for 2015 defense (1323)
Skai Moore out for U (1048)
Troubles in Tigertow (692)
TN game weather (672)
Lebron makes Clevela (613)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (473)
Who is your favorite (454)
Cockaboose Video (437)
Marvel releases movi (246)
FSU vs. Louisville (196)
Who is your favorite play
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
Tennessee Offense Breakdo
Michigan AD Dave Brandon
Lebron makes Cleveland re
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
USC/Tennessee 11/1/2014
Uniforms for Tenn
TN game weather

Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit
Default Life Without Clowney......

Alright y'all, this new influx of talent has really brought home for me the reality that Clowney is no longer with us.

It's a devastating feeling that, frankly, has left me reeling.

I'm sure the feeling has been brought on for a number of reasons, but I think the most significant is that, without him, I don't know who will provide what I can only describe as the BADASS FACTOR.

With Jadeveon we knew that no matter what, we had the biggest, baddest man on the block. Regardless of what another team threw at us we knew that our Monster was better than their Monster, and I think that gave us a lot of confidence. It gave us some serious BADASS FACTOR.

With him gone, though, who will restore our badassitude? Who among us remains to strike mortal fear into our enemies, to provide our team with a rallying point, and our fans with a hero.

Basically, who is next in line to be that implacable, physical freak for us?

Help me Obi-wan Kenobi.....who's our New Hope?

Last edited by FilchCock; 02-07-2014 at 12:16 AM.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
4Runner
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 225
4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb
Default Re: Life Without Clowney......

It might be less eventful. No more, " He didn't ride the bus to game" bs and of course the constant camera pointing at him on the sidelines documenting every huff and puff. I say good luck JD and let's get back to business.
4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 420
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

This thread makes me sad. Proud to say I got to watch Clowney play in person. As far as badasses on the DL, it may have to come from a new guy. Sawyer maybe. Looking forward to seeing what Lamin can do. Might be a reincarnation of Kenrick Ellis (on the football field).
Old 02-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

imho I think it helps not having him , this year turned into a circus.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
It might be less eventful. No more, " He didn't ride the bus to game" bs and of course the constant camera pointing at him on the sidelines documenting every huff and puff. I say good luck JD and let's get back to business.
I mean, I get that this year might be less stressful. But I'm wondering who will replace him as the guy who gets off of the dang bus and makes the opposing fan base gasp in fear.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #6
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Football goes on. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching him while he was here and he was one of the best. He's not easily replaceable, but I think we'll be fine with the quality and depth we have at DE. As mentioned already, I will be glad that the spectacle surrounding the man will be gone.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #7
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 799000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Cop a chill dudes ! WE ARE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF GAMECOCK NOW ! Next up.......
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
Cop a chill dudes ! WE ARE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF GAMECOCK NOW ! Next up.......
Ok, I was being melodramatic in the original post for fun. What I'm honestly trying to figure out is who will be the next physical enforcer on this team. Specifically on the defense.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #9
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he is and always will be a gamecock...but the way this thread sounds...it is as if he actually had a great season. Jd was barely a force perhaps 30% of the time this past season. I know the argument that teams had to account for him...yada yada...but the truth is, I don't think we will miss a beat without him. Love him...but time to move on and I missed Norwood and swearinger far more than I will miss Clowney.

I'll enjoy watching him at the next level...but what's ithe shades of gray sentiment from this thread?
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:14 AM   #10
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Oh well...just read your post before mine and see you were posting in jest. My bad.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #11
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I'm more worried about Life without Shaw.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #12
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I'm more worried about Life without Shaw.
I think Dylan will be ready to take the bull by the horns , he is a leader .
Old 02-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #13
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

People said we wouldnt be good without ingram and gilmore, people said we wouldnt be good without lattimore.

This is a team and one person cannot make us or break us.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:52 AM   #14
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

JD will be fine and so will the Gamecocks. If you remember, JD wasn't a first year starter.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #15
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

I'm gonna miss Clowney. He was awesome publicity. "The Hit" was probably one of the best things to ever happen to USC as far as publicity.
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #16
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

As cliche as it sounds, football is a team sport. Clowney is, and was, a tremendous athlete and talent who's production was far beyond the typical stat line. Will he be replaced? Yes, but at the same time his pure athletic ability and talents will remain lost. I mean, he was a once in a decade type of athlete.

This is not to say that whomever takes his spot will fail, or even live up to the expectations set by Clowney, because (this is where it gets cliche) football is a team sport in all aspects of the game. Manning is no Manning without someone to catch the ball for him, or linemen to block for him (seen in the SB). Rice is no Rice without a QB to throw him the ball. Tomlinson is no Tomlinson without a linemen there to open a few holes. Clowney is no Clowney without other factors on the line. Quarles, Sutton, Dixon Jr., etc. etc. all influenced Clowney's play, and benefited from it as well.

With Clowney gone, sure there is something to replace on the defensive line. We're talking about a guy who, when giving it his all, is unblockable pretty much game in and game out. We got away with a lot of simply 4-man rushes with Clowney on the line with the likes of Melvin Ingram, Devin Taylor, Chaz Sutton, Kelcy Quarles, Byron Jerideua, etc. All of these guys are gone, and I think our coaching staff has done a pretty good job at trying to replace this stud-group of linemen that have left the program over the last 3 years. Will there be growing pains? Obviously. But Clowney's departure isn't the end of an era. Lorenzo Ward, Deke Adams, and Kirt Botkin will come together as a group and keep the pressure up on the QB. It may feature more blitz packages from the LB, or even pressure from the safeties/corners, but I don't think we're going to lose much from a pressure standpoint (in terms of the entire defense).

Life is good after Clowney. Every major program goes through this. Someone has to step up and take control over things, and by the time the season starts while people will still miss Clowney and his abilities, there will be a new guy in his spot willing to give 110% to build on what those before him have built. These new guys on the DL have come into a program that has featured one of the best defensive line groups the past 4 years, and now's not the time to change that.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:34 AM   #17
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

I feel the same way with Clowney leaving as I did when Lattimore left. I questioned the ability for another guy to step up and take his place, especially with the big shoes to fill. But I quickly learned that for every athlete that leaves, another athlete steps up in his place. Clowney will be greatly missed but somebody else will step up! I'm just glad I got to say I witnessed JD play for the Gamecocks because he truly is a different breed of athlete.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 AM   #18
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Get ready to see a D line who will rape when it comes to sacks. No MORE double teams for this line. We are going to show out. We play better when not everyone is blocking our best player.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #19
GamecockNeal
American Gamecock....

Male

CockyCash: 5445
GamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot material

Some of you crack me up about him. If you dont think he was a force or dont think we will have any problems getting over him, you are in for a sad shock next year. It will be quite evident and you will see it right away.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:52 AM   #20
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockNeal View Post
Some of you crack me up about him. If you dont think he was a force or dont think we will have any problems getting over him, you are in for a sad shock next year. It will be quite evident and you will see it right away.
No one said that, but having a guy not get double teamed will sure as hell help on defense.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote