CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
cocksmith1or11
Gamecockswag
NAGamecockFan
The Yancey
Travelin
kingofnerf
ReadR00ster
l^l^lBGCock
Freshman ND WR " (1089)
Good Riddance to bad (562)
The Comeback & T (431)
Bashing Players, coa (414)
Keeping tailgate foo (365)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (362)
An A to Z of Noah We (260)
TeMarcus Blanton (195)
Wallpaper & Back (156)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (151)
Battlefield 4
Simple "yes" or
The Comeback & The Bl
Who start on the d line t
Rest of the season predic
Why I think we beat Aubur
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
TeMarcus Blanton
So Disappointed With The

Old 02-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

CockyCash: 283
BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit
Default Discussion: Def End and 2015

I think it's safe to say we got some quality depth at Def End in this class.

Thomas, Sawyer, McClain, Wideman, Ritchie.

Did we get too much?
Can we hang on to 2015 commits/targets?

Please don't insert the usual response of "trust the coaches". We all trust the coaches, okay?

It's a valid point to realize we may not be able to hold on to these guys in 2015
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
BornCocky'86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit
Default Re: Def End and 2015

I think Wideman, McClain are going to grow into DTs. Thomas only has two years I beleive.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
I think Wideman, McClain are going to grow into DTs. Thomas only has two years I beleive.
If Wideman and McClain can plug the gap at DE for next year (pun intended), we should be in good shape for 2015...

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

CockyCash: 400
StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

Are we still good with Blackshear?
StretfordEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

1 or 2 of those probably won't get in. Another will grow in to DT. Ritchie could play TE and of course if Thomas gets in he gets just those 2 years.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretfordEnd View Post
Are we still good with Blackshear?

As of right now, yes but that could change any moment. Chauncey Rivers, our other 4* DE, may decommit in the near future. Would be nice if we could sign both + Arden Key when it's all said and done.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I think this means we won't be taking as many DEs next year...we may only take one more (Arden Key) if it is clear either McClain and current guys Gerald Turner grow in DTs (Wideman will be a DT too).

If so, I see us adding Key and that is it...maybe a DT (JUCO D.J. Jones possibly or Albert Huggins) and call it a Dline class. Maybe 3 DBs and 2 LBs.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a smaller class next year..that focuses more on skill guys and offensive linemen...I'm think 4-5 Olinemen, mostly OT (one being a JUCO possibly), two RBs, 3-4 WRs, a TE (maybe 2) and a QB. LIke I said, 3-4 DL, 2 LBs and 2-3 DBs.

I'm thinking we sign 18-20 guys next year...barring any early departures and transfers.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
As of right now, yes but that could change any moment. Chauncey Rivers, our other 4* DE, may decommit in the near future. Would be nice if we could sign both + Arden Key when it's all said and done.
Thanks. Points.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
We'll make some noise in the recruiting world if we can sign Blackshear and Key.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
elcid99
cant kill da rooster

Male

CockyCash: 217705
elcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudly

Sawyer is a beast & could play WDE or SDE; Wideman may stay at DE- Haven't had an absolute stud SDE-ever possibly.... would be awesome.

Also, remember a kid from Bluffton S Blackshear? Bad mother-WDE & a current class of 2015 commit. Rivers & Key would be nice too, but with BAW playing a Norwood role, & the # of DEs we will have on the roster, the next cycle will be more traditional & won't be DE/CB heavy....definately going after several OTs & RBs....but we will sign the best players for our system-period.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
We'll make some noise in the recruiting world if we can sign Blackshear and Key.
and Rivers too, some think Rivers is better than Key

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 18446744073709551566
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Do you guys think that our commitments don't read or hear about your posts, especially when suggesting that they might withdraw their commitments?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #13
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

I believe 2015 is going to be a heavily offensive class.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
elcid99
cant kill da rooster

Male

CockyCash: 217705
elcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudly

Rivers is far thicker than Key (Key has a frame like English). Blackshear is the prototypical WDE. Definately will be a fight over Key & Rivers w UGA. Everyone will come after Blackshear.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

2 things to remember with Arden Key.

1) He was committed to us and decommitted when Green decommitted. Green, his best friend, signed with us yesterday.

2) Wes Mitchell said he was around him yesterday and said if he didn't already have him CB'd to Columbia, he would have made that prediction yesterday. I think we get Key, Blackshear, and Rivers all in the same class. I don't know if it will be long before Key commits again, too. Could happen sooner than some think.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #16
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatBamaTwice View Post
Do you guys think that our commitments don't read or hear about your posts, especially when suggesting that they might withdraw their commitments?
As if anyone on here cares what they read or don't read. If we don't some of these guys we don't get some of them. We can play alot of DE DE DT DE setups I guess. And do a lot of rotating keeping the defense fresh.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 02-06-2014 at 02:19 PM.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #17
cocksmith1or11
Zone Reader

Male

CockyCash: 750
cocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot material

taters want Rivers BAD, they will pull out all the stops and probably sway him. He and Key both have a frame to build on, I'd rather have Rivers tbo either way, we are going to have a solid d-line for the next 3-4 years. Im more concerned with the drop off at spur and RB after Mike leaves.

cocksmith1or11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
AmonRa777
Recruit

Male

AmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his comb

Quote:
Players as talented as Blackshear and Rivers don't worry about competition...Our depth chart, style of play and our program will remain very attractive...I still think we will sign 3 quality DEs in the next class
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #19
AmonRa777
Recruit

Male

AmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I believe 2015 is going to be a heavily offensive class.
To be a great program in the SEC, you must take great DLs whenever you can get them
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #20
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

Nevermind.