CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Latti
ReadR00ster
U-Dub Gamecock
rosstheboss
Bobby Boucher
usc1
b381l
roosterdude21
acejrock
NJCocky14
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (8001)
Super-Efficient Ax (323)
South Carolina @ Aub (281)
BREAD (245)
Starz Black Sails (168)
Dress shirt help (167)
2015 - Auden Tate
Josh Cunningham Power For
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
2016 - Greg Little
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
How to cut the mustard
Larenz Bryant update?
What is your perfect egg?
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Connor Mitch

Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default House of Cards

Interested to hear who has watched this show and what your thoughts are. Kind of a tricky thread since Netfilx dropped all 13 episodes at once.

This is the best filmed TV show I have ever seen. I love David Fincher's work and this TV show looks just like one of his films.

Kevin Spacey is solid. Kinda neat that he represents SC District 5 in the show. His asides to the viewer are a little corny but they help to keep the episodes moving and advance the storyline with what the main character is thinking.

Robin Wright seems to be a stonecold bitch. Kate Mara is good and pretty attractive in a normal girl sort of way.

I likethe fact that the show was made to just have 26 episodes. It allows the writers to tell the story they want and not drag it out b/c it is getting good ratings. It will allow the storyline to stay tight.

You can tell that Netflix spent a ton on this show. I read that the budget was $100 MM for the 2 seasons. That's GofT type $.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule
Default Re: House of Cards

I started to watch this version but then noticed a BBC version (on which the Netflix series is based) and opted to start with the BBC . Ian Richardson is great as F.U. and makes most of the asides almost humorous. So far I've finished 8 of 12 episodes or 2 of 3 seasons. One thing I've noticed is that the final episode of each season is pretty dark. It's been good enough that I skipped part of the Super Bowl to catch an episode.

I'll definitely catch Netflix's version soon and would highly recommend the BBC version. Does Spacey say, "You might well think that. I couldn't possibly comment." quite often?

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

^^^^

I'm only 2 episodes in so I have not picked up on if Spacey is saying that. I will pay attention and report back after a few more episodes.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

I don't recall him saying that exactly but the sentiment is at least implied somewhat often.

I'm about 4-5 shows into it. While I think some parts could have been left out, the plot is pretty well done and refreshing(to me at least). I think part of what helps me be more interested is the fact he's a SC congressman. I think they do a good job of emphasizing the harshness and strategy of modern US politics.
Give a larbage, throw out your garbage.
Metalrush24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
^^^^

I'm only 2 episodes in so I have not picked up on if Spacey is saying that. I will pay attention and report back after a few more episodes.
He's probably not saying it then. What F.U. is doing is droping subtle hints that may lead someone to draw a conclusion and ask him something. His response, or at least a variant in every episode, is "You might well think that. I couldn't possibly comment." That's how he gets his dirt out without having confirmed the dirt.

gt
Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
He's probably not saying it then. What F.U. is doing is droping subtle hints that may lead someone to draw a conclusion and ask him something. His response, or at least a variant in every episode, is "You might well think that. I couldn't possibly comment." That's how he gets his dirt out without having confirmed the dirt.
Ok. He did something similar to that in episode 2 when he was feeding Kate Mara's character (a reporter) a story that he want to appear in the paper.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Yeah, that is right now that I think about it.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly

I've only watched two episodes but I am enjoying it. I like how F.U. sets things in motion with all the power plays and how he is able to manipulate people. Of course, it is cool that he is suposed to be a representative from SC. I enjoy the Zach Morris/Saved By the Bell moments when Spacey talks to the camera. Isn't the wife in the show "Jenny" from Forrest Gump? She is still looking pretty good.

The other Netflix original series, Lilihammer, is worth a watch as well. The second season of that is supposed to be currently filming.
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_yogi View Post
I've only watched two episodes but I am enjoying it. I like how F.U. sets things in motion with all the power plays and how he is able to manipulate people. Of course, it is cool that he is suposed to be a representative from SC. I enjoy the Zach Morris/Saved By the Bell moments when Spacey talks to the camera. Isn't the wife in the show "Jenny" from Forrest Gump? She is still looking pretty good.

The other Netflix original series, Lilihammer, is worth a watch as well. The second season of that is supposed to be currently filming.
Yeah Robin Wright, Sean Penn's ex. She's still banging.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly

I am about halfway trough the season and still like the show so that is a positive. The relationship between F.U. and his wife is an interesting one. They seem to make marriage work in their own way, not minding if the other gets a piece of side action every now and then. They still love each other, but the marriage is obviously about what they can do for each other professionally as much as it is about love.

Zoe the reporter is smoking when she wears the white dress. I've been wanting to see those puppies ever since she was in Shooter, but all Netflix has given me is a butt shot.

I am interested to see if F.U. is able to bring together his plans for Russo after he made Russo turn his back on his constituents.

Is the original series on Netflix? Does it have a different name?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

The original is the same name and is on Netflix. Each of the three books was make into a 4 part series.

I got a kick out of the huge British newspaper headlines with FU in them.

gt
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
RoyalAir
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
RoyalAir has earned his spursRoyalAir has earned his spursRoyalAir has earned his spursRoyalAir has earned his spursRoyalAir has earned his spursRoyalAir has earned his spursRoyalAir has earned his spurs

As I mentioned in The Americans thread, I'm really enjoying this show. I don't have a problem with FU breaking the fourth wall and talking to the camera, as it doesn't feel like a contrived plot device that everyone else has already done. I like that you can watch the show for how it portrays politics, without ever becoming overtly political and preachy in its message. That's one of the main reasons why, despite what I was sure was excellent writing and acting, I couldn't watch The West Wing; I can't stand Aaron Sorkin's politics. With House of Cards, I don't feel like the writers are shoving their agendas down my throat. They're just showing the circus for what it is.

Anyway, I'm about three or four episodes in, and yeah, I do recall FU saying, "You might think that..." a couple of times. Dig the show, and Robin Wright is an atomic bitch.
RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I'm enjoying the series as well. The hardest part to believe is a democratic whip from SC.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
I'm enjoying the series as well. The hardest part to believe is a democratic whip from SC.
thought the same thing
Old 02-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

SPOILER. Do not read if you have not seen EPISODE 8

The Citadel episode was kinda useless. WTF was up with the gay innuendos?? I'm down with gay folks so this is not coming from a homophobic place but they expect us to belive that FU is some bi-poonhound from SC? I just think it is taking the character a little too far.

Kate Mara is the smokeshow, gawd I wish they would let us see that sweet rack. I also really dig the actress that plays Christina.

Really enjoying the Peter storyline.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Not that hard to believe. Jim Clyburn is pretty close in real life.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
blockycocky
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 250
blockycocky has feathers coming inblockycocky has feathers coming inblockycocky has feathers coming in

Quote:
HAHA.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

Quote:
The 5th District was solid D for over 100 years until Mulvaney beat incumbent Spratt in 2010.

gt
Old 02-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #19
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
AikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his comb

That's funny that I saw this thread and just watched the first 6 episodes of this on Netflix, today, which, ironically, I just re-subscribed to, after turning off DirecTV, again, because of the cost. I don't know why I didn't see them pop up, before, but, they were there today.

Kevin Spacey is the man. He is one of the best in Hollywood in spacing out his words, which means you have to pay attention. I love it that he is from SC, and they actually understand a bit of southern politics(F.U. quote: "In my part of the world, where people don't have two pennies to rub together, a rack of ribs is like Christmas in July."). *Spoiler Alert* There is also an episode where they joke about the Peach/Butt tower in Gaffney, and the fact that it looks like a butt, IS the joke. I think F.U. is funny as hell, with the southern mannerisms.

Kate Mara - hotter than hell, IMHO.

I love the politics in this, honestly, because I have the perception that that is exactly how things work in washington.

I love the episode where Frank get embarrassed on the CNN debate with the Teacher Union's rep. He gets payback, later. Frank is ruthless-he'll do anything to get what he wants accomplished.
AikenRooster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #20
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
SPOILER. Do not read if you have not seen EPISODE 8

The Citadel episode was kinda useless. WTF was up with the gay innuendos?? I'm down with gay folks so this is not coming from a homophobic place but they expect us to belive that FU is some bi-poonhound from SC? I just think it is taking the character a little too far.

Kate Mara is the smokeshow, gawd I wish they would let us see that sweet rack. I also really dig the actress that plays Christina.

I for sure thought they were about to have a Brokeback moment in the library. The whole story line did seem out of place. I guess that is maybe why they had to change the name of the Citadel to the Sentinel.