CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Garnetnblack99
kingoftheroost
CockyLifer
ZenUSC
Regalcock
peterlemon
b381l
ktguen
Cockhornleghorn
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (2481)
Morris to SMU (1575)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (1149)
Carolina on a Walmar (610)
Game simulation (504)
Penniless: Creed's S (320)
Strategy First Steam (241)
Chad Morris new HC a (152)
Origin Sale Too (118)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST REALIZE
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Constant Updates on Watso
2017 - Savales Cann
Carolina on a Walmart com
Texans getting frustrated
Morris to SMU
Palmetto Bowl
Game simulation
Comparing Results Of Comm

Old 02-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material
Default Under Armour May Be Part of Olympic Dissappointment

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...lkA1ZJUDM1N18x
Quote:
Under Armour isn't going to like this one.

According to a report by Joshua Robinson and Sara Germano of The Wall Street Journal, the United States' struggles in the speedskating events at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi are being blamed on the uniforms, which were designed by the popular athletic clothing brand:
These suits—designed by apparel sponsor Under Armour and billed before the Games as a competitive advantage—have a design flaw that may be slowing down the skaters, according to three people familiar with the U.S. team. Vents on back of the suit, designed to allow heat to escape, are also allowing air to enter and create drag that keeps the skaters from staying in the low position they need to achieve maximum speed, these people said. One skater said team members felt they were fighting the suit to maintain correct form.
The Americans tested the suits prior but never actually wore them in a competition until arriving Sochi, which Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Kaduk called their "major mistake."

Through six speedskating and two short-track events, the Americans have zero medals. But there is still time to make up for underwhelming results and secure some hardware.

Davis will line up in the 1,500-meter race—where he has two Olympic silvers—on Saturday, while Richardson and women's World No. 2 Brittany Bowe attack the same race on Sunday. A gold from Davis in particular would certainly help ease the disappointment of failing to medal in the 1,000.

If this suit problem turns out to be more of a last-ditch excuse than anything else, then talent will eventually win out and the Americans will earn their expected medals. But if they fail to reach the podium again this weekend, then people will likely start reading into this situation a little more—meaning Under Armour is going to have a whole lot of negative press headed its way.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material
Default Re: Under Armour May Be Part of Olympic Dissappointment

Those suits are awful anyway. The huge circles under the crotch area are bizarre. I read it is supposed to be a special fabric to prevent friction, but still it's weird.
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Making the suits out of corduroy and gabardine were bad ideas in retrospect.

The suits are certainly not worth the $12,000 price tag but that is what you get with UA.

The athletes have decided to do the rest of their events buck naked.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

If they tested them they still should have noticed that their times were down, or so it seems.

Admittedly, I'm talking out of my neck here...but I think we are way to quick to blame something on a small confounding variable. Meaning...sure it could be contributing, but prove it. It could also be subpar ice conditions, a bad lunch, fatigue (from carrying your toilet paper to the bin), any number of things.

I understand we are talking about precision athletes who need everything tip-top to reach their potential...but from what I've seen about the Sochi games, NOTHING is tip-top.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock1983 View Post
If they tested them they still should have noticed that their times were down, or so it seems.

Admittedly, I'm talking out of my neck here...but I think we are way to quick to blame something on a small confounding variable. Meaning...sure it could be contributing, but prove it. It could also be subpar ice conditions, a bad lunch, fatigue (from carrying your toilet paper to the bin), any number of things.

I understand we are talking about precision athletes who need everything tip-top to reach their potential...but from what I've seen about the Sochi games, NOTHING is tip-top.
Makes me wonder what they raced in during their qualifying events.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:

I agree 100%...it makes absolutely no sense to have not tested them adequately before using them on the worlds biggest stage...not a wise move IMO.
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

Under Armour's development department has taken plenty of flak over the years for design and construction issues that affect their competition-level apparel.

I guess that we can chalk it up to the brand's learning curve when it comes to uniforms.

Sports apparel makers like Nike, Addidas and Reebok test their garments and equipment in simulated environments using humans and also computer simulations to identify bugs and problems that arise.

I do not know if UA does things differently or even just use athletes in actual competition as a final testing board - opposed to the years of testing and development the other brands put into their stuff.

This is all assuming, of course, that these issues are affecting performance and it is not all just in the heads of the wearers.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Under Armor doesn't do enough research before they release a product. They simply think "what looks neat" and tries to go with that. From Shaw's shoes to the Olympics to everything in b/w... I don't think Under Armor knows what the **** they are doing.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
Under Armor doesn't do enough research before they release a product. They simply think "what looks neat" and tries to go with that. From Shaw's shoes to the Olympics to everything in b/w... I don't think Under Armor knows what the **** they are doing.
Assuming this is the case, how long can they continue such a practice before their trust is eroded?
Old 02-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

You may have answered your own question.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
This particular skating suit was a joint venture between Under Armour and Lockheed Martin. Their sole purpose was to create a garment with optimized aerodynamic properties.

Now, I'm not saying they got it right...but it's difficult for me to believe that it wasn't researched, prototyped, and tested many times before release.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

if they were throughly tested they would have caught this well beforehand, I dont know why anyone would go with untested equipment for the worlds biggest stage thats just not bright

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #13
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

and their nipples keep popping out
Old 02-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #14
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

http://gizmodo.com/under-armour-will...tin-1502673088

"...underwent 300 hours of wind tunnel testing and was analyzed using computational fluid dynamics at Lockheed Martin to determine the optimal aerodynamic design."

Well, I hate to be the bearer of such obvious news. But, perhaps we're just getting outclassed on the ice in Sochi and looking for someone or something to blame?

This entire issue is rather vague. It's essentially a 3rd person account of teammates not liking them.

Last edited by Gamecock1983; 02-14-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: added link
Gamecock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #15
86 GradCock
7 Year Plan

Male

CockyCash: 1450
86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
Assuming this is the case, how long can they continue such a practice before their trust is eroded?
I would say it is eroded:30 at this point. There has been the perception that UA equipment and uniforms are poor quality to downright flawed for several years. Case in point, their cleats are generally considered inferior by many. Couple that with a premium price tag for the consumer and it could be only one or two more "reports" of issues and the company is in the tank.
86 GradCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #16
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 500
LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Seems to me the Dutch are simply kicking our ass because they are and have been the best speed skaters in the world for some time.

Last edited by LBC; 02-14-2014 at 04:30 PM.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #17
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

If I am one of UA's competitors I am all over this
Old 02-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #18
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Doesn't matter really, speed skating team will still drop UA
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #19
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
Seems to me the Dutch are simply kicking our ass because they are and have been the best speed skaters in the world for some time.
The Dutch are crushing everyone in speedskating. I think they must train with wooden skates or something.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #20
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
http://gizmodo.com/under-armour-will...tin-1502673088

"...underwent 300 hours of wind tunnel testing and was analyzed using computational fluid dynamics at Lockheed Martin to determine the optimal aerodynamic design."

Well, I hate to be the bearer of such obvious news. But, perhaps we're just getting outclassed on the ice in Sochi and looking for someone or something to blame?

This entire issue is rather vague. It's essentially a 3rd person account of teammates not liking them.
That is what I was thinking.
It seems our Olympians this year just aren't as good as Olympians for other countries.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote