CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Yearofthegamecock
ReadR00ster
TAFC 5 1981
WeStillOwnUSC
b381l
Sir Cuss
Gamecocks1137
kick_ball
SwampFox
eightohhthree
uniforms saturday (2436)
Auburn looks beatabl (2177)
Vandy Fans (1579)
Three young corners (789)
**official Vandy pre (668)
Watch ESPN3 regional (666)
King - South Carolin (660)
Cardinal's Jonathan (564)
No Vandy Predictions (347)
tailgating canopy on (335)
Next years RB situation
Gamecocks Traveling to Au
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
2015 Commitment - Davon D
2015 Greyshirt - Darin Sm
2015 - Roquan Smith
In light of our matchup w
Three young corners progr
The SEC East schedule fro
Good crowd for volleyball

Old 02-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 100
weatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talons
Default Heavy Music

Alright, so I'm fairly new to CockyTalk. I made my account back in October but completely forgot about it up until a few days ago, so I figured I'd make this my first thread.

Does anyone here listen to any kind of heavy music, weather it be good ole' 70's head banging metal, nu metal, hardcore, rock, post-hardcore, things that like? I'd love to have some more people to talk about this kind of music with and learn of some more bands, so please feel free to share any of your favorites or any that you find. Here's just a song from one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHvOit-FL2g
weatheredxtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material
Default Re: Heavy Music

Mudvayne, Slipknot, Korn, Killswitch, or Five Finger is about as heavy as I'll go. Really love Avenged Sevenfold, love nearly all rock/alternative bands throughout the years, and I've gotta have my "Big Four" of Thrash Metal (if you have to ask, this thread isn't for you). Only things I really don't care for are some punk, strict hardcore/screamo stuff, death metal, and indie/hipster rock.

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Smashies_AC30
The Garnet Invasion

Male

CockyCash: 500
Smashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPit

I know there are plenty here on CT that can get a good thread rolling here. I'll contribute a little at a time. I think that's the best way to share on a forum rather than inundate with multiple YT links per post. That being said, I'm really hopeful this thread can help expand my horizons on heavy / metal music. Here's my contribution to start:

Smashies_AC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Korn is about all I listen to from that category. Only one I can tolerate.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #5
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

I take a pretty broad approach to the concept of "heaviness" in music, with chief idea being intensity, which can include everything from Beethoven to King Crimson to Mastodon. The Melvins, however, are the ultimate heavy band in my eyes. They are masters of using space and time. Of the early albums, Stoner Witch is your best bet. More recently, Nude With Boots is thrilling stuff. They've been around since the mid-80s and have managed to stay interesting the whole time.

Some recent metal bands I like are Baroness (first 2 albums), Protest the Hero, and Ghost. For older stuff, you can't go wrong with the first 3 Blue Oyster Cult albums (see my avatar!) or King Crimson's Red-era stuff (metal meets jazz!). For punk flavor, Bad Brains rule. Check out Refused's The Shape of Punk To Come if you want to see what it feels like to be eaten by a lion. In a good way.

For quintessential 80s metal, Megadeth's Rust in Peace and Voivod's Nothingface come with me to the desert island. Nothing beats those.

I should shut up now. I'm getting carried away.

Last edited by Transmaniacon; 02-16-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:47 AM   #6
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

CockyCash: 100500
johnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot material

august burns red
Old 02-17-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
spareparts
1-9-9-9

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Om
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:06 AM   #8
Smashies_AC30
The Garnet Invasion

Male

Smashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcclane View Post
august burns red
I second this.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:10 AM   #9
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

weatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcclane View Post
august burns red
Their vocalist is from Columbia!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:23 AM   #10
Smashies_AC30
The Garnet Invasion

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatheredxtown View Post
Their vocalist is from Columbia!
Foreals? Never knew that! Like em even more.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 AM   #11
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

These are my good buddies in a local upstate band.

This dude now uses a 9 string guitar. it's getting out of hand.

thall

I could go on all day, all I listen too is metal. I'll add more as I think of my favorites.
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:16 AM   #12
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post

These are my good buddies in a local upstate band.

This dude now uses a 9 string guitar. it's getting out of hand.

thall

I could go on all day, all I listen too is metal. I'll add more as I think of my favorites.
This list is incredible. Impeccable music taste.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:22 AM   #13
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatheredxtown View Post
This list is incredible. Impeccable music taste.
Well, A lot of people wouldn't say impeccable.. but it is for me at least.
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #14
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Where do these bands play in Columbia these days?

I use to go to a lot of shows when I was younger. I know NBT is still open but places like Headliners and the place out by the airport has since closed.
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #15
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #16
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Last edited by LBC; 02-17-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #17
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 23008950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

The godfathers...Motörhead.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #18
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #19
ThisMr X
Starter

Male

ThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his comb

Old 02-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #20
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male