CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
carcosa
**USC vs. Clemson GA (5795)
Decommitment from Te (975)
Beat Miami (850)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (709)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (661)
Cleveland Browns Hea (645)
Garcia and Clemsux T (629)
Need a dog kennel (261)
Four USC Basketball (212)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (197)
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
Previewing Clemson
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
The Vent and Coaching cha
How Long Will The Rebuild
So, why is next year goin
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
2015 - Mark Fields
Four USC Basketball Games
looks like we have 2 OL r

Old 02-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad
Default Average Obese Woman Gets 1 Hr of Exercise a Year; Avg. Male 4 Hrs.

Average obese woman gets just 1 hour of exercise a year

A new study suggests that obese women get just one hour of vigorous exercise a year, while obese men don't do much better at fewer than four hours.

"They're living their lives from one chair to another," said Edward Archer, a research fellow with the Nutrition Obesity Research Center at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. "We didn't realize we were that sedentary. There are some people who are vigorously active, but it's offset by the huge number of individuals who are inactive."

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than one in three people in the United States is obese, a step above being overweight. Obesity boosts the risk of cardiovascular problems such as heart disease and stroke, diabetes and some cancers.

The study defined "vigorous" exercise as activities that burn fat like jogging and jumping rope, but not sexual activity. According to Archer, who was at the University of South Carolina when the study was conducted, sex isn't as much of a fat-burning activity as certain other kinds of exercise so it doesn't qualify as vigorous.

The researchers found that the average obese woman gets the equivalent of about one hour of exercise a year. For men, it's 3.6 hours a year. What kind of lives are the most inactive people living? "I think they're living the typical life. They drive their children to school, they sit at a desk all day long, they may play some video games and they go to sleep," Archer said.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2477489...#ixzz2ttJiAQln
Old 02-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 26065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material
Default Re: Average Obese Woman Gets 1 Hr of Exercise a Year; Avg. Male 4 Hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Average obese woman gets just 1 hour of exercise a year

A new study suggests that obese women get just one hour of vigorous exercise a year, while obese men don't do much better at fewer than four hours.

"They're living their lives from one chair to another," said Edward Archer, a research fellow with the Nutrition Obesity Research Center at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. "We didn't realize we were that sedentary. There are some people who are vigorously active, but it's offset by the huge number of individuals who are inactive."

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than one in three people in the United States is obese, a step above being overweight. Obesity boosts the risk of cardiovascular problems such as heart disease and stroke, diabetes and some cancers.

The study defined "vigorous" exercise as activities that burn fat like jogging and jumping rope, but not sexual activity. According to Archer, who was at the University of South Carolina when the study was conducted, sex isn't as much of a fat-burning activity as certain other kinds of exercise so it doesn't qualify as vigorous.

The researchers found that the average obese woman gets the equivalent of about one hour of exercise a year. For men, it's 3.6 hours a year. What kind of lives are the most inactive people living? "I think they're living the typical life. They drive their children to school, they sit at a desk all day long, they may play some video games and they go to sleep," Archer said.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2477489...#ixzz2ttJiAQln

Obviously, this guy has not seen me in action. #nohomo
etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

I have a friend that's an EMT. He's had calls at homes with people so fat they can't even fit out the door, and their couches and bodies have pretty much molded to each other. Their families just enable them and bring them food since they can't get out of the house. Not saying they shouldn't be brought food, but if you're the one bringing it in you can control how much and what they eat.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
I have a friend that's an EMT. He's had calls at homes with people so fat they can't even fit out the door, and their couches and bodies have pretty much molded to each other. Their families just enable them and bring them food since they can't get out of the house. Not saying they shouldn't be brought food, but if you're the one bringing it in you can control how much and what they eat.
Yeah, I used to work in a health department type setting. Add to that visual a hording mentality and you'll get the idea of why I don't work in that environment any longer....

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
BigRedCock
↓Little Marcus Lattimore↓

Male

CockyCash: 1700
BigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPit

My mom worked for the industry leading hospital bed maker years ago as a project manager and she was tasked with building a new type of hospital bed to deal with the kind of people that can't fit through their front doors. I'm talking loads up to 1000 lbs, made of crazy alloys that are lightweight but hold a ton of weight. Mattresses that prevent bed sores, that help them sit up/stand up, can be used to perform various surgeries, etc. She literally spent a year just measuring fat people to figure out the physical requirements she was dealing with. I heard some wild stories. These exercise statistics don't surprise me one bit. One chair to the next, crazy way to live
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #6
sharpstick
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1995000
sharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talons

Back when I was a firefighter/Emt there was a large lady in our area that had some medical problems. When the medic unit was call out to her, dispatch automatically call out two fire departments for man power. The unit would show up without the stretcher in the truck.We had to navigate through the doors. She was a very sweet lady, apologizing for our troubles the whole time we were getting her out. Passed away a few years ago.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
USCfootball
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 116336
USCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Devils advocate.

If you can't get out the door, how are you supposed to exercise? I'm sure a lot of these people didn't choose to be the way they ended up.

I think treating mental illness is much more important than many realize and it's a big issue in this country. I'm glad bullying is starting to be addressed more and with more and more shootings occuring, I hope mental illness is looked at more.
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
Devils advocate.

If you can't get out the door, how are you supposed to exercise? I'm sure a lot of these people didn't choose to be the way they ended up.

I think treating mental illness is much more important than many realize and it's a big issue in this country. I'm glad bullying is starting to be addressed more and with more and more shootings occuring, I hope mental illness is looked at more.
I didn't say anything about exercise. Specifically what they eat can be addressed, and I feel like in most cases diet alone can probably get you small enough to fit out the door. Worst case scenario just walk around your house for a bit. If you weigh that much it's crazy good exercise. Like a normal person going for a walk at 4x gravity or something.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
ds401
4-Star

Female

ds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I am so glad u said this. I was bedridden for a few years, then in a reclining wheelchair, now 3 wheel rollator. I HATE the pity throw food to the ill person attitude. If a person wants to do something for the handicapped person- take them to a movie, mall, museum, baseball game- hell around the block or backyard is nice. I was informed that I only needed 1200 calories a day based on my height and weight. 3 cans of Ensure did it. I am no where near overweight b/c I refuse the constant pity food.
ds401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
ds401
4-Star

Female

ds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Devils advocate.

I didn't choose Autonomic Failure nor Multiple System failure (NOT MS) but I choose to fight like hell. Hit me when I was 35. My son was 5th grade. I am the one who taught him to wrestle, throw a football, played baseball, soccer, ect. Dad taught the science, chess, ect. Mentally and physically it is hell. You don't look ill, but shit a sneeze can kill ya. When I couldn't get up. The homehealth aid would move my legs and arms for me. Sometimes I was passed out or asleep.

A recumbent bike is perfect. I force myself to get up and ride it. During the basketball games, it is a great stress reducer:) During the commercials I force myself to get up or constrict and release my muscles while I am sitting. Wheelchair people do this and work their upper body alot.

You HAVE to think of what u can physically do and NOT what u can't do. I use to hate when people would tell me that I 'don't look ill.' NOW I get darn happy if someone says it!

I am not allowed to drive. I will pass out. There is DART for handicapped public transportation.
ds401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #11
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Devils advocate.

There are many steps and many meals between slightly obese and can't fit through a door. The time to start dieting and exercise is way before you are trapped in your house.

Sure mental illness can play a role, as can illness, but at some point obese people need stop medicating feelings and other issues with food. It's the same as any other addiction.
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #12
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

I'm not exactly sure what the point of this thread is but after reading the report it is clear that they are referring to people already obese..not simply overweight...so they're talking about people who are already 30% above...at least...what is even the high end of some kind of acceptable guidelines/average...and is addressing not exercise in general but 'vigorous exercise'...for example walking...even if one were to walk several miles a day...is not considered 'vigorous exercise'.

This seems like a case of 'No &^%$' to me.

And as has been mentioned people who weigh almost 1,000 pounds can even walk so doing 'Crossfit' is probably outside of their abilities.

There is no doubt we are the fattest and most sedentary nation on the planet but I'm pretty sure most even reasonably intelligent people could have told you that people who are considered obese don't get enough exercise and should watch what they eat.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
Kaka
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

This is the true reason why soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

In the other hand, all you need is to eat healthy, there is nothing magical about it.

Eat less, don't eat trash food.

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #14
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
This is the true reason why soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

In the other hand, all you need is to eat healthy, there is nothing magical about it.

Eat less, don't eat trash food.
Soccer is the most popular sport in the world because super fat people don't/can't move?

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #15
Kaka
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog2003 View Post
Soccer is the most popular sport in the world because super fat people don't/can't move?
Super fat people has a history, a combination of trash food and not running, this is not a secret to anybody.

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote