CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
cocksmith1or11
NAGamecockFan
kingofnerf
ReadR00ster
wumarshall82
BigRedCock
El Cid Ranger
NinjaSven
Freshman ND WR " (1012)
Good Riddance to bad (523)
The Comeback & T (376)
Keeping tailgate foo (354)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (332)
Bashing Players, coa (326)
An A to Z of Noah We (245)
Wallpaper & Back (147)
Instrumental Music ( (136)
TeMarcus Blanton (132)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
TeMarcus Blanton
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
So Disappointed With The
Bashing Players, coaches,
Roll call for Auburn
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Who start on the d line t
Rest of the season predic
Texas athletic director:

View Poll Results: COCKYTALK BEST HAIR METAL BAND TOURNAMENT: Round 1
Seed #8: THE SCORPIONS 7 36.84%
Seed #9: SKID ROW 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default BEST HAIR METAL BAND TOURNAMENT: The Scorpions (#8) vs Skid Row (#9)

Vote For Your Favorite Artist Between These Two:

THE SCORPIONS

SKID ROW

Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: BEST HAIR METAL BAND TOURNAMENT: The Scorpions (#8) vs Skid Row (#9)

I had both these bands listed on my nominations list. I had Skid Row
listed fairly high though. ... IMO they were a better band with a gritty
and harder edge. Closer to Rock than to Glam Metal. Loved Sebastian
Bach's vocals ! .... One of the front men that stood out in the 80s. His
problem was that the overuse of Drugs and Alcohol made his live shows
a tossup as to what form of Skid Row you'd see for your money.

The Scorpions were an older band from Germany that couldn't find success
outside their local region while they experimented with different "sounds".
Eventually they got into the Hair Metal wave in the early 80s and found
their niche. I liked their "sound". Not really that outstanding as for Talent,
or Appeal.... Hell, they were actually closer to all those things that made
me dislike the later 80s hair metal bands, but they were different enough
to make me like their music. Don't know if it was the accent or the
writing, but to me, they were just fun to listen to.

Liked both these bands, but in this matchup, I'm choosing Skid Row, they
were the better of the two IMO.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material
Default Re: BEST HAIR METAL BAND TOURNAMENT: The Scorpions (#8) vs Skid Row (#9)

Like any proper 8 vs. 9 matchup, this one's a tossup to me. I liked the Scorpions a lot more musically, but Skid Row is definitely more representative of Hair Metal, so I will also go with Skid Row.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

I honestly didn't expect Skid Row to have a single vote. Unbelievable.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

This song alone blows Skid Row's entire library out of the water.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material

I love Skid Row, but Scorpions kill them in all aspects of music. Writing, composition, performance, etc. I saw an "unplugged" show with Scorpions a few weeks ago, simply amazing.

Skid Row, while a great band, shouldn't stand a chance in this matchup.

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

I like both bands, but the Scorpions body of work far outweighs Skid Row IMO.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #8
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Not a fan of the Scorpions.

Skid Row doesn't have a huge body of work, but Slave to the Grind was one of the best metal albums ever.

I have an amazing amount of respect for them for releasing this album. They could have followed up their debut album with more formulaic hair-band crap about chicks and beer, but they chose to release a heavy monster of an album.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

#9 takes the upset
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

I like both bands but disagree with Spurticus. Scorpions are a far better band than Skid Row. They are incredibly talented musicians. Klaus Meine may not be the people's favorite vocalist. However, I loved the band. They do have their roots in the 70s and I really wouldn't classify them as a hair band - just a rock band. They have a little bit of a harder sound than most hair bands and they aren't quite as pop oriented. To me, they don't fit the hair metal genre even though they thrived in the 80s. Hands down, more talented than Skid Row but Sebastian Bach is probably a better front man, big personality, fits the mold of a hair band singer, fantastic voice, and absolutely dwarfs Klaus Meine (Kalus is 5'4, Sebastian is 6'3).

I voted for Scorpions. They are a better band with better quality music over a long period of time. Skid Row fit the mold of the hair metal band though. It really depends on your criteria and the factors that influenced your voting. Best band? Scorpions. Best hair metal band? Skid Row.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
lencho30
KOLA

Male

CockyCash: 4200
lencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot material

Can't believe the Scorpions are losing this one.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Just spent some time listening to a lot of Scorpions songs. If they don't win this, it's a shame. Again, I like Skid Row but they don't even deserve to be on the same stage as the Scorpions. Please vote for the better band in this one.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #13
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

CockyCash: 500
Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

I went with The Scorps. They have a signature sound, long history, and at least 3 songs I can say I love (Blackout, Hey You, and The Zoo). And, Sebastian Bach still acts like a 14 year old.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #14
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

SKID ROW wins, and will move on to Round Two of the Tournament
Old 02-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #15
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

An absolute disgrace. I spent a lot of time listening to the Scorpions yesterday. If you voted for Skid Row because they are more hair metal than Scorpions, I understand. If you voted based on music and quality, this is an absolute disgrace and you should be shamed of yourself. And I say this as someone who likes Skid Row. But this is absolutely no contest - Scorpions is a vastly superior band to Skid Row and it's not even close.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #16
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
An absolute disgrace. I spent a lot of time listening to the Scorpions yesterday. If you voted for Skid Row because they are more hair metal than Scorpions, I understand. If you voted based on music and quality, this is an absolute disgrace and you should be shamed of yourself. And I say this as someone who likes Skid Row. But this is absolutely no contest - Scorpions is a vastly superior band to Skid Row and it's not even close.
I liked both bands in this matchup, but I thought Skid Row was the better of
the two. For my taste anyway. I would not have thought anything out of the
ordinary had The Scorpions won, but apparently there were more people who
voted that felt the same way as I did.

All for fun anyway. ... as I've said in the Nominations round. I still can't
believe that Guns n Roses is even in this contest, let alone the #1 seed, but
they have enough CT members who feel like they are a "Hair Band" and they
were the cream of he crop. .... so They are in the Contest.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #17
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

The next set of matchups will be posted around 6:am Monday Morning.

Ratt vs Whitesnake

And

Dokken vs Bon Jovi