CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
No Comments on the H (1409)
Freshman ND WR " (479)
Call of Duty: Advanc (453)
Good Riddance to bad (266)
Keeping tailgate foo (249)
Things They Should H (224)
Vote For Cocky (219)
An A to Z of Noah We (135)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (116)
NCAAF: SOUTHERN CAL (39)
Vote For Cocky
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ A
NCAAF: OREGON @ CALIFORNI
NCAAF: BYU @ BOISE STATE
NCAAF: TEXAS @ KANSAS STA
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
So Disappointed With The
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI STATE
NCAAF: MICHIGAN @ MICHIGA
NCAAF: WEST VIRGINIA @ OK

Old 02-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default The Shockers

How far do you think they'll go this year

They're 23-0
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Shockers

They will be the 1st #1 seed to ever get beaten by a #16.

Probably not but that is always the scenario I imagined that woud lead to a #1 getting knocked off. A good team from a mid major gets the #1 seed and proceeds to get beaten in the 1st round after having an amazing season.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Depends on the 16 seed but I could see it
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

They could very well make it back to the Final Four this year. The record is impressive, but the quality of opponent is pretty lacking. Best team they've played is St Louis back in early December. Once the tournament gets here you have to wonder if playing a weaker schedule will hurt them, ala St Joseph's in 2004.
markymark550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

Elite 8
Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

With Gregg Marshall having coached a few 16 seeds and knowing his demeanor, I don't think they will be the first 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed. Not saying it won't happen, but I think it's more likely that the first 16 seed to win will be a team that feels slighted by the bad seed going up against an overconfident power conference team.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
JohnnyR2211
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 756
JohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudly

Every time I see them I see the South Carolina team that should have been. I'm sorry but I just can't believe we passed on this guy for Darrin Horn! He's from Greenwood for god's sake and took freaking WINTRHOP to the tourney.

/endrant
JohnnyR2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR2211 View Post
Every time I see them I see the South Carolina team that should have been. I'm sorry but I just can't believe we passed on this guy for Darrin Horn! He's from Greenwood for god's sake and took freaking WINTRHOP to the tourney.

/endrant
Would you be willing to wait 7 years? If USC was in the tournament the year before Marshall got here, do you believe that would be a factor? Would you enjoy being in a recruiting hotbed where there are some players not quite good enough to go to UK, Indiana, OSU, and Kansas? Would you be willing to be at a college that didn't have a football team? Gregg Marshall would...

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
JohnnyR2211
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 756
JohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudly

Gregg Marshall could have had anything he wanted here. If he did it in Rock Hill I know for sure he could do it here
JohnnyR2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
They could very well make it back to the Final Four this year. The record is impressive, but the quality of opponent is pretty lacking. Best team they've played is St Louis back in early December. Once the tournament gets here you have to wonder if playing a weaker schedule will hurt them, ala St Joseph's in 2004.
St Joes went to the elite 8 in 04.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #11
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR2211 View Post
Gregg Marshall could have had anything he wanted here. If he did it in Rock Hill I know for sure he could do it here
No he couldn't

By the way, you didn't really answer what I asked

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
St Joes went to the elite 8 in 04.
True, but I think a weaker schedule (it wasn't as weak as this year's Shocker team, but how many 1 seeds play only 1 ranked team all year?) kept them from being tested enough to make it to the Final Four or even better.

I think Wichita State might find themselves in a similar situation.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #13
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
True, but I think a weaker schedule (it wasn't as weak as this year's Shocker team, but how many 1 seeds play only 1 ranked team all year?) kept them from being tested enough to make it to the Final Four or even better.

I think Wichita State might find themselves in a similar situation.
Okay?
They went to the elite 8. Pretty damn good season.
Not like they went out in the second round.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Okay?
They went to the elite 8. Pretty damn good season.
Not like they went out in the second round.
Didn't say they had a bad year. Didn't mean to imply that either. IMO making the NCAA tournament is a good year. Just stating something I think both teams have in common and thought it was a decent parallel.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Didn't say they had a bad year. Didn't mean to imply that either. IMO making the NCAA tournament is a good year. Just stating something I think both teams have in common and thought it was a decent parallel.
I think a much better parallel is Gonzaga of last year and the St Joes comparison isn't even close.

That St Joes team made a run to the elite 8 where they lost by 2 to head to the final four (a game where OK State hit the game winner with 7 seconds left)

While the Zags couldn't make it out of the 2nd round, a game which Gonzaga trailed by 13 at one point.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #16
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Wich st snuck up on people last year..i think.they may stumble in the round of 16.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #17
NJGCfan
5* Recruit

Male

NJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talons

I haven't seen much of them this year but Cleanthony Early is an NBA level talent and Van Vleet is a bona fide start at PG for them. I think that is a formula for success when you throw in a great coach who can get results out of his players like Marshall
Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #18
CarolinaBand
MiLB

Male

CockyCash: 1575
CarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot material

Nothing good can come from this thread.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:21 AM   #19
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Not this shit again.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:33 AM   #20
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

I'd say max is Sweet 16
jared is offline   Reply With Quote